Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Battle of the Bastards is super overrated imo. The episode that followed it was better.

And fuck you guys for watching it early and especially you georgemccauley for even hinting at a spoiler. I'm staying out of this thread until Sunday night now.

What GAF said about BOTB.

I've rarely been impressed by GOT's giant battle scenes since I don't know they ever improved on what Peter Jackson did with LOTR.

Blackwater is still the bar to clear for me. I loved that episode.

The pirate ship whatever battle early this season was fucking awful. It looked like Zack Snyder and Hamish Hamilton collaborated on a tribute to Pirates 5.

I'm not sure why HBO decided to shrink this season to 7 episodes. They could have used 10, with the same storyline. While exciting, this season has been rushed at best. They needed more time for context-settind and character moments, which simply is not happening. I don't think it would have cost much more, either - the action scenes and CGI stuff could be the same, it's the actors talking in rooms scenes that are missing.

The plan to get a wight beyond the Wall to convince Cersei is some stupid shit. What are they thinking?

I believe I read several months ago that filming had been delayed because Northern Ireland, where much of the series is filmed, was having an unusually warm winter, so they couldn't get the cold and snow they needed.

I believe I read several months ago that filming had been delayed because Northern Ireland, where much of the series is filmed, was having an unusually warm winter, so they couldn't get the cold and snow they needed.

What a strange thought... barely snows in Northern Ireland. Though I'm sure the snow stays when it does.

Hardhome for me. The last couple of minutes in particular are just fantastic, and the final shot, with no music and just the eerie quiet of the water, is so well done.

Best battle episode in my view, for sure.

S06E10 might be my favorite episode overall. That opening sequence was incredibly put together. Plus the whole R + L = J thing getting confirmed.

What do we think of Jon and Daenery's chances of both surviving the end game? I know it's GOT but I'd love them to go against the grain and give us this ending where they both live

What do we think of Jon and Daenery's chances of both surviving the end game? I know it's GOT but I'd love them to go against the grain and give us this ending where they both live

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if they both do. That's the cliche thing to happen, and GRRM marked himself out for his willingness to kill off characters and not play to sentimentality. Though Jaime's survival makes me wonder if he's gone soft.

Also, I just don't care for Dany. She and her dragons can go.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if they both do. That's the cliche thing to happen, and GRRM marked himself out for his willingness to kill off characters and not play to sentimentality. Though Jaime's survival makes me wonder if he's gone soft.

Also, I just don't care for Dany. She and her dragons can go.

Martin has had no input in this season has he? I think it's solely down to D&D which is why I think the show will end quite differently to the books

I am not fan enough to look into details like that, and of course I expect divergences, but they're going to have to stay true to the general themes and thrust of the story.

And I can't imagine GRRM having no input whatsoever.

Martin periodically slips D&D some cocktail napkins with basic plot ideas and twists on them and they turn them into what we see on television every week. I'm sure he has a say in broader plot elements, it's just everything else that's basically fan fiction.

Other than the red wedding episode, this is my favourite episode of the show so far. the "magnificent 7" who went north of the wall should get their own spin-off series! :)

Am I the only one who is finding the story in the latter half of this season utterly ridiculous? Why do they spend 6 years developing incredibly deep characters if they are going to act completely out of character when it suits the plot?

There were so many little things yesterday that were so completely unbelievable from a story perspective, considering the (even recent) history of the show. Jon spends weeks in Dragonstone to mine some dragonglass so that only one out of the seven main characters carry a weapon made of it - when they are about to fight the white walkers? They don't bring horses? Or a cage of ravens (which the Night's Watch carried when they went beyond the wall in Season 2 or 3)? And Gendry manages to run back a distance that took Bran and co what - 2 seasons to complete? It's insane .And don't get me started on Arya.

The plan to go beyond the wall was stupid from the moment Tyrion mentioned it and remained as stupid last week. It was a silly plot excuse for two things: making Dany go north with her dragons to give the Night King an ice dragon, and now bring all main characters together in King's Landing. Even that invitation to Brienne was so stupid - and Sansa sending her away is even more so. Ugh.

Last edited:
Seriously, this mission beyond the wall to capture a wight doesn't stack up. This was exciting TV, sure, but the very idea is dumb. I'm with gump on that.

I did like Arya's plot this week, but then I've always hated Sansa and I kind of wanted Arya to actually kill her, take her identity, and fuck over Littlefinger.

Then again, part of me wants Varys or Littlefinger to emerge the victors because that's been some damn fine scheming.

Also, Jon you fool, don't bend the fucking knee! You outrank her! I swear to god if this is all setup for him to find out R+L=J and to still accept Dany as queen because he's oh-so-modest, I'll be furious. Dany winning would be about as cliche a conclusion as it gets.

The thing with the Arya storyline is that it also doesn't make sense. Sansa's letter is inoffensive: it was not a secret, people know about it, and anyone who thinks about it for two seconds will know she was under duress. The threat to go public to the Northern lords makes no sense whatsoever. The tension between Arya and Sansa is not plausible at all.

One more: if you are hoping for a lake to stay unfrozen so that the zombies can't reach you, and you have a large hammer, why don't you fucking use it to break the ice around the rock island???

Were all three dragons at the battle, and I just missed one? One escaped (obviously), one died (duh) ... was the third one there as well and got away unharmed?

Screen-Shot-2017-08-16-at-12.25.06.png

Back
Top Bottom