Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to agree with PFan with this one. I've been critical of the writing this season, but I think attributing it to the show outpacing the books is, I think, a case of correlation =/ causation. There are examples of poor GRRM plot issues prior to this season*, and it's not clear that he would be able to tie them up more neatly. It's also easier to do that when you have 5+ years to write what is essentially one season of TV.

* I've been making my way through the books and I'm currently halfway through Book 2. And Catelyn's movements during the War of the Five Kings is one of the things that come to mind, allowing her to be neatly present in critical plot points (Tyrion's imprisonment, Renly's assassination, etc, culminating in the Red Wedding).

That said, I didn't like the way the Knights of the Vale became a deus ex machina. They could have made that whole sequence much better (and less predictable; I mean, this was basically Rohan in The Two Towers). Like the Arya storyline. But again, these could very well be GRRM-inflicted wounds. It feels as though there is too much of the story to cover in the next season, so I think we are in for quick resolutions to major plot lines (like navigating from the Iron Islands to Meereen over the course of 3 episodes).

Loved so many thinks about this episode. Hot damn.

Despite the writing slips, this was a really amazing season. Can't wait for S7, all the pieces are in place for some good stuff.

That looong intro. So fucking good.

Last edited:
It was an absolutely incredible end to the season that did far more than I thought it would. Even Dorne was decent. DORNE. Can't wait for next season.

Arya's back in Westeros and Daenerys is finally on her way!

Tommen took the phrase "King's Landing" too fucking literally! (Shamelessly taken from reddit, but too good not to share.)

A view to a kill. Holy shit. It's not going to work out for her in the end, and it cost her the last of her children, but Cersei burning the sept is the single biggest power play in the history of this show. Kill em all. So awesome. What a sequence. Truly pyschotic, but what a play.

Last edited:
I got what I wanted out of this episode: lots of old storylines were "completed" and everyone died.

Looking forward to a streamlined and action packed season 7.

Last edited:
The buildup to the sept explosion with Light of the Seven as the background music was incredible. Tommen's suicide scene was incredibly shot too. Miguel Sapochnik can direct all of the remaining episodes as far as I'm concerned.

It almost got lost within the episode, but Tyrion's scene with Dany was pretty great too.

Last edited:
Damn!
Cersei is a fucking crazy bitch. She's even worse than the mad king.
I'm putting my bets on Arya killing her somewhere next season. Can't be soon enough.

Margery and Tommen where awesome. :down:

I feel like she deserved a better ending. Unceremonious deaths are commonplace for this show, but this one was depressingly impersonal for a show regular. Just a big ol explosion.

Mad Cersei will be fun for a few episodes, but I hope Jamie knocks her off and takes the throne for himself.

Last edited:
Amazing episode.

But how the hell did Varys get from Dorne back to Meereen?

On a boat, probably.

We don't know how much time passed between his meeting in Dorne and the sailing of Dany's fleet. Could have been a long time.

Last edited:
Yeah I strongly suspect that he is the one who ends up killing her.

It's almost guaranteed. The reason he killed the Mad King in the first place was his stockpile of Wildfire. Jaime doesn't play with that shit.

Revenge is a dish best served in a pie made of human remains.

Not only did they ruin the pie thing, they made Manderly a chickenshit coward in this episode, and I did NOT enjoy that.

But the Arya reveal was still fucking awesome.

I mostly loved this episode. I still hate the way they've changed Petyr's character this season, though.

On a boat, probably.

We don't know how much time passed between his meeting in Dorne and the sailing of Dany's fleet. Could have been a long time.

thats right

I did note he was in two places, but with Diana Rigg there I assumed some time had passed
they rarely establish a time line between these different parts of the story, it could be a day, weeks or months

As everyone has said, great episode last night.

I'm a little bummed that it sounds like they are going to do two more short seasons with 7 and 6 episodes a piece.

If they can tell the rest of the story in 13 more episodes, fine, but I don't want to have wait two more years to see how this all ends.

Enjoyed the episode, and overall this season was an improvement from the fifth.

However, if everything up until the Red Wedding is Act 1, then this is shaping up to be a case of great start, middling end. Dany and Jon vs White Walkers (with Cersei and Arya as wild cards) will make for impressive tv, but the initial narrative delights seem to be long over.

It doesn't help that the past two seasons has been mostly wheel spinning while a couple of the major elements needed time to develop. Most of Cersei and Arya's plots at least would surely have been skipped in Martin's five year jump.

I'll gladly bake these words into a lovely meat pie and eat them if the final seasons live up to the storytelling of the first few, but the war of the five kings was the series peak imo.

Footnote - almost quit watching after the Red Wedding, the story and world became almost too repugnant to continue at that point. But damnit, I was intrigued to see where it was all going next.

Cersei has wanted Margaery dead for years now. Remember that scene in Season 3 when the two of them are walking down the steps and Cersei relays the story of "The Rains of Castamere" to Margaery? That scene always stuck with me. It was Cersei both subtly and not so subtly saying "I'm going to kill you someday and the Lannisters will destroy House Tyrell."

And she finally did.

A few consolations to cersi's madness:

She's now the equivalent to the mad king, and thus slayable by the king slayer himself.

The high sparrow was a dick.

Old man Tyrell was a pushover.

Oh and most importantly, I can't wait to see what cersi is going to do to that wretched nun.

I know the Lannisters are probably ultimately fucked but I'm kinda rooting for them and a huge reason why is because "The Rains of Castamere" is such a fucking awesome song. It's by far my favorite piece of music that has come from this show.

Amazing episode.

But how the hell did Varys get from Dorne back to Meereen?

On a boat, probably.

Yeah, you can see ships from Dorne and from the Tyrell's in Dany's fleet, which should be a signal that it's some months later.

So now we know for sure that R+L=J, but the only person who knows that in the show is a goofy kid who calls himself the 3-eyed raven. That's not going to hold a lot of water except to a few in the north.

My guess is that at some point, Ned registered this with the maesters of the Citadel in the same sort of ancestory book that we saw in season 1. Sam will discover proof of Jon's history.

So now we know for sure that R+L=J, but the only person who knows that in the show is a goofy kid who calls himself the 3-eyed raven. That's not going to hold a lot of water except to a few in the north.

My guess is that at some point, Ned registered this with the maesters of the Citadel in the same sort of ancestory book that we saw in season 1. Sam will discover proof of Jon's history.

Howland Reed presumably knows too. He was the last remaining soldier who accompanied Ned to the Tower of Joy (and I guess you don't need to be Sherlock Homes to deduce that the baby wasn't Ned's).

The problem is that his castle moves through the swamps, so Little Bran may (or Meera, Howland's daughter) may be the only ones who are able to find him.

Back
Top Bottom