Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arya got stabbed to death, I can't imagine the writers letting her survive.

Pretty fucking unlikely. That whole plot hasn't been meandering slowly along just for a dead-end of Arya getting stabbed to death.

The only way I can conceive that she dies of her injuries is if the Waif then assumes her identity.

Pretty fucking unlikely. That whole plot hasn't been meandering slowly along just for a dead-end of Arya getting stabbed to death.

The only way I can conceive that she dies of her injuries is if the Waif then assumes her identity.

Zero chance she's dead, imo.

*air horn* get hype *air horn*

After reading some reddit theories, it seems that Arya was behaving very much out-of-character through most of the episode (the way she throws the coin purse/the merry walking around the city). It seems purposefully wrong, so I'm guessing (a) that isn't Arya; or (b) she set a trap to get the Waif.

I'm just glad that they didn't go the Fight Club route and have the Waif be a split Arya personality like some had theorized.

Yeah, the Hound was tremendous here.

As for our girl, the storyline wasn't executed as well as it could have been but I am VERY satisfied with the outcome. She's going back to Winterfell and will be the ultimate winner of the Game of Thrones.

The Arya bits bothered me: what was the point of the whole getting stabbed/recovering detour in episode 8? It would have been much more compelling had they followed the initial Waif attack with Arya luring her to the dark room. Quite a bit of bad writing there, I thought.

But yeah, I'm ready for Arya to go back to Westeroos.

The preview is promising for next week's episode.

Last edited:
The Arya bits bothered me: what was the point of the whole getting stabbed/recovering detour in episode 8? It would have been much more compelling had they followed the initial Waif attack with Arya luring her to the dark room. Quite a bit of bad writing there, I thought.

But yeah, I'm ready for Arya to go back to Westeroos.

The preview is promising for next week's episode.

She looked too seriously injured to be running around the next day, let alone defeat a skilled fighter.

Writing this season has been very uneven.

God, that was satisfying.

Another fantastic episode 9 for this show. Glad that it wasn't just all in the North though.

Game 7 of the finals followed by this was way too intense.

The episode was really well executed, but I can't help feeling slightly underwhelmed. Maybe the whole thing was too predictable? And where was Ghost, by the way?

Last edited:
That long take of Jon in the battle was pretty amazing for television.

One last thing: if you are ever trying to escape an archer, make sure you zig zag.

Last edited:
Game 7 of the finals followed by this was way too intense.

The episode was really well executed, but I can't help feeling slightly underwhelmed. Maybe the whole thing was too predictable? And where was Ghost, by the way?

Good question about Ghost. I didn't even think about that.

Fuck it, though. THE STARKS ARE BACK IN WINTERFELL.

Some of that fight choreography was next level shit. Jon shows why he was worthy of that ridiculous resurrection. And the opening scene with Dany and, finally, all THREE dragons unleashed. Really great stuff.

This show is tremendous.

What...what was Sansa thinking when she chose not to let Jon in on anything about the fucking huge army Littlefinger was putting together? What could possibly have been the benefit of not disclosing that information? Was she not sure that they were coming and decided she didn't want to "disappoint" Jon? I'm so confused.

The way they handled Rickon's death was shitty too. It was a terrible moment for Jon, obviously, but the audience had no attachment to Rickon, so his death felt like a mere plot necessity.

Otherwise, satisfying stuff. Good direction. Having Ramsay's face get eaten by dogs is some high quality fan service.

Based on the previews for next week's episode:

Winter has cometh

Good question about Ghost. I didn't even think about that.

The best answer I found online was that the show runners used all of their CGI budget on the dragons and the battle.

What...what was Sansa thinking when she chose not to let Jon in on anything about the fucking huge army Littlefinger was putting together? What could possibly have been the benefit of not disclosing that information? Was she not sure that they were coming and decided she didn't want to "disappoint" Jon? I'm so confused.

Yeah, that didn't make much sense. Especially after the whole "you have to trust me" speech before the battle. Unless she deliberately wanted to weaken Jon's army, but I don't think Sansa went full Cersei just yet.

Last edited:
Had Sansa told Jon, way fewer people would have died.

I wondered about Ghost but frankly the fact he wasn't there meant they couldn't kill him in some awful way so I'll take it.

Yeah in a battle as large and chaotic as that, Ghost likely would have been killed. If his absence means he lives, I'll take it.

What an amazing episode...I shouted at the tv when Rickon got shot ( although I didnt think he'd survive). Can't believe it's episode 10 next week. Time to get Bran and Ayra back to Winterfell as well

l

Yeah, that didn't make much sense. Especially after the whole "you have to trust me" speech before the battle. Unless she deliberately wanted to weaken Jon's army, but I don't think Sansa went full Cersei just yet.

Was she being spiteful for not being included? So fucking random.

What an amazing episode...I shouted at the tv when Rickon got shot ( although I didnt think he'd survive). Can't believe it's episode 10 next week. Time to get Bran and Ayra back to Winterfell as well

Not sure how anyone watching the show could give a shit about Rickon. That whole thing was telegraphed a mile away, regardless of how well it was shot.

Same with the rescuing army, to be honest.

It seemed as though she sent a message by bird carrier in the previous episode.

Not sure how anyone watching the show could give a shit about Rickon. That whole thing was telegraphed a mile away, regardless of how well it was shot.

Same with the rescuing army, to be honest.
Oh I know, but why did she not tell Jon.

I'm sorry, I think the writing based off grrm's outline, and not the actual source material has been mainly pathetic this season. The Rickon bs, the end of Arya's plot, Dany showing up when she did, the rescue army.... It's still fun to watch, but the quality of writing has gone down the tubes.

I've heard a lot of criticisms about the writing for Season 6, and I have to say I think a lot of the issues are them just trying to tie up shitty plot points that GRRM himself still hasn't figured out how to tie up. So they had to do some convenient, obvious plot movement at certain points just to dig themselves out of his holes.

The writing in general has fallen off since the start of season 5, when the show began to outpace the books. The show writers just aren't on Martin's level, obviously. There used to be a poetry about the way the storylines aligned with one another along thematic lines that gave each episode weight and unity, but now everyone is so far apart from one another that episodes often feel like a series of check ins. The season opener in particular was just a bunch of check ins strung together that served to catch viewers up with the general goings-on of the GoT universe without moving the plot forward.

It's still fun drama, certainly, and the direction of last night's episode was fantastic, but there are more plot holes than ever and so much fan service. No One was perhaps the first Game of Thrones episode where I've felt like I was watching just another television show. That fucking terminator chase through the streets with Arya.

I think the show is on the verge of permanently turning into something very soapy and silly, but ultimately more fun than what they've had on offer for the past two seasons. There's no need to buy time anymore. We're in for a wild and potentially very entertaining season 7, with next week likely serving as a good lead in for that.

And despite all of those criticisms, let it be said that I love seasons 1-4 of GoT and consider them to be a necessary step forward for television from a production standpoint.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of criticisms about the writing for Season 6, and I have to say I think a lot of the issues are them just trying to tie up shitty plot points that GRRM himself still hasn't figured out how to tie up. So they had to do some convenient, obvious plot movement at certain points just to dig themselves out of his holes.

I can't agree with this since most of the shitty writing of the show lately has dealt with situations that D&D completely made up, or that haven't yet occurred in the books. Almost everything going on in the north is original to them, as far as the books currently stand are concerned.

I do feel that the Arya storyline in the book is just as convoluted, but I'm far more trusting in how Martin's going to end it. But maybe my faith is misplaced. Maybe one day I'll get to find out.

Also: As much as I love the direction this season generally, the camera work is REALLY starting to piss me off. It's completely distracting and I'm not sure why they started doing it, but these quick jerks, tracking shots and jib shots are stupid.

Back
Top Bottom