Fringe by J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
Anyone seen the new show by J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the latter two of whom wrote the insult to intelligence that was The Transformers by actually devising a story worse than the 1984 cartoon?

I think it's typical Abrams derivative fluff. I thought the snow the in the pilot looked very realistically stormy, and I'd much rather watch this than most of network TV, but that's the best I can say about it. That and the fact Darin Morgan is a producer, which means he could write a story and he did amazing and unique work on The X-Files and Millennium and I don't think he's had a story get to the television stage in a decade. So, I'll definitely check his episode(s) out!

It's so self-consciously cool like those convenient light-hearted moments in "Lost" or those convenient all-American references to mix tapes and skinny dipping in "Lost" that are supposed to relieve the tension, but are totally unrealistic.

Also we have another byzantine conspiracy as they did in the atrocious "Alias", which is one of the worst shows in history. I bet it relies on some group being unbelievably evil, just like on "Lost", and it will reveal nothing about why there is evil in this world.

I like Dunham. She's not an obvious choice and can act, however all the zippy "funny" moments are out-of-character and unrealistic. The X-Files had a way of inserting humor that made sense. This is silly. Also, there's lots of gross out elements but it's not subtle or interesting or suspenseful; unlike the frightful "Millennium Season 1" or the best of the X-Files, it's more overt gross-out that makes me want to look away, rather than watch in emotional terror.

Also, Pacey or whatever from Dawson's Creek is irritatingly the archetypical wise-ass and it's too obviously heading for a romantic pairing between the leads. Just so predictable. He's also an unjustified dick to his father.

Still, it's better than "Alias" and that moment when the son sings his father to sleep in the second episode was refreshingly sweet.

Yet Abrams' love by the network heads is a slap in the face to more artistic and courageous writers like Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek DS9 and the new Battlestar Galactica and especially Ira Steven Behr of DS9 and The 4400, especially the latter's Seasons 3 and 4. They wrote of the most pressing issues of our time with dramatic realism. There's no substance in Abrams' work; there are references to terrorism, but none of the human drama is based in dramatic realism; the motivations -- as on "Lost" -- just don't make psychological sense. It's all shock and awe, and no heart and soul. This bodes very poorly for the new Star Trek film Abrams and his hacks are putting together, when DS9, BSG, and The 4400 had so much to say about humanity with much more fun and innovation.

One example of lack of realism is the way Dunham finds out this shocking event and then cries the way I would after doing badly on a test in undergrad. There's no life crisis or severe bawling you'd expect. She also doesn't look exhausted, despite every other character commenting how tired she looks.

I was curious about this, but no ads showed anything to lure me in. In fact, they showed nothing except that it was on 9 and **--NOT 7--**. But whatever. There's new Trek. Good.

I watched the 1st ep, haven't watched the 2nd yet (it's in the DVR). It was OK, I'll probably keep watching it unless it descends into suckage...Terminator is better though.

Lost is much better.

That being said, I watched the first two episodes and will keep watching for now. Thought it was decent.

Beats most of the drivel that passes for TV lately.

JJ Abrams has about as much to do with LOST as Dik Evans has to do with U2.

FAIL

He wrote and directed the 2 hour pilot and that's pretty much it.
People who don't watch the show wouldn't know this, so no harm done Muldy.
Damon Lindelof has been the creative force behind the show from very early on after JJ quit to go direct some movie.

I watched the first two episodes and will keep watching for now. Thought it was decent.

Same.

It really is a mix of X-Files and Numb3rs with some plots and ideas stolen from Silence of the Lambs at this point. While it's still nowhere near as good as X-Files, they have at least added some interesting questions into the show already that could end up being interesting (or really shallow if they screw it up).

JJ Abrams has about as much to do with LOST as Dik Evans has to do with U2.

FAIL

He wrote and directed the 2 hour pilot and that's pretty much it.
People who don't watch the show wouldn't know this, so no harm done Muldy.
Damon Lindelof has been the creative force behind the show from very early on after JJ quit to go direct some movie.

And you think people in Bang and Clatter have a pretentious attitude?

:wink:

As for Fringe, it's relatively passable I guess.

To think that it owes much of anything to LOST or even X-Files beyond some hilariously clumsy nods, doesn't do remote justice to either of those shows.

And you think people in Bang and Clatter have a pretentious attitude?

What is pretentious about stating a fact?

There have been about 80 episodes of LOST.
Abrams has been involved in about 3.

He's credited as executive producer in name, because he helped "create" the show as much as one of the other two Exec producers who wrote the original script, who was FIRED before the show ever aired.

As for Fringe, it's relatively passable I guess.

To think that it owes much of anything to LOST or even X-Files beyond some hilariously clumsy nods, doesn't do remote justice to either of those shows.

It owes nothing to anything, but people love to draw comparisons and such.

I'll take it on its own merits, and, so far, while not great, it's good enough to keep me watching.

It's been interesting enough to keep me watching. Though one of my first thoughts after the whole "accelerated aging" thing came into play was "hmm, I had no idea the egg was fertilized within minutes after sex."

It owes nothing to anything, but people love to draw comparisons and such.

I'll take it on its own merits, and, so far, while not great, it's good enough to keep me watching.

True, nothing in the last episode was similar to the X-Files.

Samuel Aboah - X-Files Wiki
Død Kalm - X-Files Wiki

I kid, I kid. I agree with you that while it's not great in and of itself, it's still good enough that I'll keep watching. I sorta like it and am surprised that I like it right now, if that makes any sense. I read somewhere that Abrams stated that the pilot episose was one of their weakest episodes of the show in his opinion, so I have hopes it'll get better.

One thing I do like is how they do the 3-D looking text of the locations they're at in certain scenes, it's somewhat cool.

True, nothing in the last episode was similar to the X-Files.

Samuel Aboah - X-Files Wiki
Død Kalm - X-Files Wiki

I kid, I kid. I agree with you that while it's not great in and of itself, it's still good enough that I'll keep watching. I sorta like it and am surprised that I like it right now, if that makes any sense. I read somewhere that Abrams stated that the pilot episose was one of their weakest episodes of the show in his opinion, so I have hopes it'll get better.

One thing I do like is how they do the 3-D looking text of the locations they're at in certain scenes, it's somewhat cool.

I was speaking in a larger sense, and, do you want me to show you how many XFiles episodes owe something to the Twilight Zone, or Philip K Dick? We could go on all night. I'm taking a more macro view.

I like the 3d thing, too.

I was speaking in a larger sense, and, do you want me to show you how many XFiles episodes owe something to the Twilight Zone, or Philip K Dick? We could go on all night. I'm taking a more macro view.

I like the 3d thing, too.

Fuck you, the tribe has already spoken on this issue.

Ira would not approve.

I could not get through the first episode

And I will watch just about anything sci-fi related

and from what I have read in here

there is no reason to watch the 2nd

"Charlie Jade" is much better than this,
and all the message boards I have read on that one say it was bad

"Invasion" was much better than Fringe, and that got canceled

And I'm sure someone could then tell us both how many of those Twilight Zone episodes ripped off Issac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, and early sci-fi comic writers. Circle of plagiarism, my friend. Remember that X-Files episode that was a direct ripoff of The Thing? That one was incredibly lazy.

I agree that little is new or original these days, but I still think comparing this to the X-Files in general plot is fair. I'm not saying it's a rip off by any means, and since I have nuttin' but love for the X-Files it shouldn't be taken as a way to discredit the show.

The Thing, which was a remake to begin with. Yeah, you're right, the whole thing's cyclical, as with any other piece of art or entertainment.

I haven't watched this series yet, but I would like to check out an episode or two when I get the time and after I get caught up on Mad Men.

The Thing, which was a remake to begin with. Yeah, you're right, the whole thing's cyclical, as with any other piece of art or entertainment.

My dad is a huge fan of the '50's version, he even had it on Laser Disc.... I actually had never seen the Carpenter version until 4 or 5 years ago. There was a semi-entertaining video game on the original Xbox and PS2 that was essentially a sequel to the Carpenter version, made me want an actual film sequel.

My dad is a huge fan of the '50's version, we even had it on Laser Disc.... I actually had never seen the Carpenter version until 4 or 5 years ago. There was a semi-entertaining video game on the original Xbox and PS2 that was essentially a sequel to the Carpenter version, made me want an actual film sequel.

Heard about the game, never played it. I'd love to see the original Hawks film, too, the Carpenter version is one of my favorites.

I remember reading that Ron Moore from BSG was working on a Thing sequel for Sci-Fi or something. No idea how that's working out.

For the Sci-Fi channel, eh? That could end up being less than awesome.

Hawks? That's not one I'm familiar with. Is Kurt in it? Snake 4 president.

Back
Top Bottom