Friday Night Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought Season 1 of this for $20, based on Peter Berg (exec producer and developer) being asked to direct "Virtuality" and Jeffrey Rainer (director) being asked to direct "Caprica". To hear Ron Moore speak so well of this football show made me want to check it out and it wasn't available for rental.

Also, I thought Taylor Kitsch did an amazing job as Gambit in the horrible "Wolverine".

I think Rainer pales in comparison to Michael Rymer, who was much better at interpreting Ron Moore's scripts.

As for this show, the main actor from "Sunday Edition" (which sucked) is much better than I thought. His wife kinda seems a superficial skank, but that's only after one episode. One kid looks and sounds a lot like Matt Damon; I'm sure it could be his brother or something.
Edit: this guy:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0687146/ (Apparently, he's not related to Matt Damon, but the behavior and looks are shockingly similar)

The only thing that bored me was the football drama at the end; I was hoping that wouldn't be the case because I HATE sports and this doesn't bode well for what's meant to be the climax of what I imagine will be many episodes to come.

"superficial skank"

Wow. Yet again, another stellar comment on a female character or actress from you. :down: I haven't forgotten how angry I got at your "slutty Amanda Peet" comment from some years ago.

Tammy and Eric Taylor are one of the best couples on any TV show I've ever seen - they have one of the most real relationships I've seen portrayed.

I'm not much of a football fan either, so was skeptical of the show at first as well. This show makes me care about all the characters AND the games, which just makes me that much more of a fan

But no, not every episode hinges on some climactic finish to a game.

I just bought Season 1 of this for $20, based on Peter Berg (exec producer and developer) being asked to direct "Virtuality" and Jeffrey Rainer (director) being asked to direct "Caprica". To hear Ron Moore speak so well of this football show made me want to check it out and it wasn't available for rental.

Also, I thought Taylor Kitsch did an amazing job as Gambit in the horrible "Wolverine".

I think Rainer pales in comparison to Michael Rymer, who was much better at interpreting Ron Moore's scripts.

As for this show, the main actor from "Sunday Edition" (which sucked) is much better than I thought. His wife kinda seems a superficial skank, but that's only after one episode. One kid looks and sounds a lot like Matt Damon; I'm sure it could be his brother or something.
Edit: this guy:
Jesse Plemons (Apparently, he's not related to Matt Damon, but the behavior and looks are shockingly similar)

The only thing that bored me was the football drama at the end; I was hoping that wouldn't be the case because I HATE sports and this doesn't bode well for what's meant to be the climax of what I imagine will be many episodes to come.

I think you should trust Moore and give it a few more episodes.
Don't think you should rush to judgement on the wife based on one episode.

I thought this show would have a lot more football in it than it does.
There is some, but the strength of the show is in the character developments. There is a bit politics, on a small scale, throughout the series.

I just finished the 3rd ep last night and was really impressed. I might have judged the wife a bit harshly, but she seemed silly in the pilot. I really like that they're criticizing the sports culture. I've always hated sports and how trying hard was not enough. That and having my glasses broken (one year twice by the same guy during dodge ball (those heavy hard red rubber balls that really hurt, too) and that idiot had glasses!).

I still don't get why I'm supposed to care about Tim Riggins. Okay, he's good looking and I know he acted well as Gambit, but he's nothing special. Same with Lyla Garrity. For some reason I like the blonde kinda/sorta girlfriend of Riggins; she's sexy and she has spunk and has a deep sense of envy with which I identify; and I'm totally swayed by superficial factors, but Lyla is hot, but annoying. I thought the way they fell into each other's arms was pretty predictable and cheap, but I guess you can't expect too much.

It's not Battlestar, but I'm quite impressed. This third ep really won me over by showing the dark ugly side of sports fandom. I also hated in my high school how we were coerced into paying a dollar to watch when we were supposed to have class and I wanted to study in the library rather than waste my time watching a basketball game I hated. I'd pay my money and if the teacher was nice, they'd let me leave. Screwed up values!

I think you should trust Moore and give it a few more episodes.
Don't think you should rush to judgement on the wife based on one episode.

I thought this show would have a lot more football in it than it does.
There is some, but the strength of the show is in the character developments. There is a bit politics, on a small scale, throughout the series.
Hey, you were right!

In any case, deep, I paid my $20 for the set and I'm too stingy to give up. I also noticed some Mogwai during the running in the mud scene. I realize that all shows need time to develop, too. BSG is the only show I've ever seen, which was at its best in the start; everything else I've loved took some patience and perseverance.

"superficial skank"

Wow. Yet again, another stellar comment on a female character or actress from you. :down: I haven't forgotten how angry I got at your "slutty Amanda Peet" comment from some years ago.

Tammy and Eric Taylor are one of the best couples on any TV show I've ever seen - they have one of the most real relationships I've seen portrayed.

I'm not much of a football fan either, so was skeptical of the show at first as well. This show makes me care about all the characters AND the games, which just makes me that much more of a fan

But no, not every episode hinges on some climactic finish to a game.
Yeah, I remembered that and I felt a bit bad about saying that by Episode 3, but you shouldn't take it too seriously because I'm not writing about real people or saying anything directly about someone in these forums, but commenting about the show and expressing a gut instinct. I guess I sorta found her attractive, but superficial, so I just said that. I love lots of female characters, though, on Battlestar Galactica, when they're intelligent in some way; I always loved Kira Nerys on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and I liked Scully before Mulder. I wouldn't get upset if you called Tim Riggins a skank or whatever.

I think I saw the actress for the wife on Charlie Rose and the clip they showed was of her acting all phony in a scene with some guy in a wheelchair and her not wanting to talk to him but pretending she did, and she seemed phony in the pilot, too, and I think I felt guilty about finding her attractive.
Anyway, I really liked how they set her up as a guidance counsellor with a separate agenda.

I still think Amada Peet comes off as sleazy, though. There's something about the characters she portrays that aren't on the up and up and yet seem shallow. Casting her on X-Files 2 was a huge mistake, partly because of that aura she gives off.

Please don't take it as an attack on women, though I guess you feel I'm adding to the general sexist atmosphere.

However, I do very much appreciate that you're being direct and honest with me, and that you're telling me how you feel in a civil way.

I hear what you're saying, Muldfeld, and thank you for taking the time to explain what you were thinking.

But I will continue to call stuff like that out when anyone says it, because it perpetuates a lot of society's misogyny - whether or not it was intended in that way. And that goes for female characters as well as real life women.

It's just one of my buttons, and I react if it gets pushed. ;)

The wait was agonizing, last year I held out for NBC because they actually told us when it was going to air, so far no plans this year, so I had to give in and watch online, so far I've only seen the premiere, damn they did a good job at reinventing themselves.

The bit with Tami and the coin toss might be my favorite moment from the show's history, priceless.

I thought I had seen something that confirmed NBC was showing it in 2010? Maybe I'm making that up.

Well that's the plan, fall DirecTV, the following year on NBC, like last time, only last time they told us it was starting in January on NBC, this year they have no plans, maybe during the summer. I can't wait that long, I'll legally support FNL when the DVD comes out, that means more than my viewership on DVR anyway.

I'm home in Wisconsin visiting my parents. I came home yesterday to learn that my parents now have DirecTV! So I got to watch this week's episode without having to download it.

Merry early Christmas to me!

i'm going to catch up on the last two episodes tomorrow at the red cross :)

-dan

Yes, they keep them in a realistic time frame. Some have graduated and moved on, others have graduated and stayed in town, new kids, new team, etc etc etc.

I loved this season. Just finished watching it last week.

I haven't finished Season 3 (only a few episodes in), but it's much better than Season 2, which felt more contrived than Season 1. Perhaps cutting down the episode order improved the quality. My mother LOVES the show, though.

I know a ton of Friday Nights Lights writers have moved to Caprica as well as the guy who played the main quarterback in the pilot, Number 6; I can't remember his name.

I still haven't seen the rest of season 4, I hate watching stuff on my computer, NBC needs to put this back on!!

Thank you cori, I missed that post. That's good, I can hold out that long.

:heart::heart: this show, like no other.

Season Premiere
"East of Dillon"
Friday May 7th, 8/7c
With a town divided, Coach Taylor struggles to put a team together at East Dillon.

jesus. they are holding out until may!

i don't watch anything on nbc, i figured it was already running. i think last year they started it up in january

if you guys have high speed internet, you should have already watched this by now

i meant more for people who don't already know the show was on direct-tv and you can download the episodes

Back
Top Bottom