Friday Night Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always love it when old characters re-appear on a show like this. Tyra was such a character. I'd love to see her back, even if just in a few episodes.....and did Lyla even have any lines at all or just make a few quick appearances last week? I also love the idea of having Mama Smash being the school nurse at E. Dillon HS! Good one! :up:

Mama Smash was always the highlight of any episode she appeared in. You don't mess with Mama.

I always love it when old characters re-appear on a show like this. Tyra was such a character. I'd love to see her back, even if just in a few episodes.....and did Lyla even have any lines at all or just make a few quick appearances last week? I also love the idea of having Mama Smash being the school nurse at E. Dillon HS! Good one! :up:

ask and you shall receive...

Exclusive: 'Friday Night Lights' lures back Taylor Kitsch and Adrianne Palicki | Ausiello | EW.com

just read a comment on a sports blog about riggins and did a quick google search

:up:

Katims isn't certain that this is to be the series finale (IT BETTER NOT BE!) but if it is, at least it'll go out the right way, and if it continues it'll be a nice way to fully move on from the early years.

Season 5 will be the last one.

Texas forever: 'Friday Night Lights' to end after Season 5 - The Watcher

I've just finished Season 3 on DVD with my folks. Very much enjoyed it. Much better than Season 2. The DVD has many good deleted scenes, especially from the finale. Rather than just sticking them as "deleted", the producers should have crafted longer episodes for the set.
Anyway, I'm not caught up so, I can't participate, but I thought I'd bring you the sad news.

It just confirms what was thought a long time ago, but at least they get to end the show on their own terms. Speaking of FNL, I just picked up wih 4th season DVD. So Mudfeld, if you want to really catch up, the set is only $20.

Season 5 will be the last one.

Texas forever: 'Friday Night Lights' to end after Season 5 - The Watcher

I've just finished Season 3 on DVD with my folks. Very much enjoyed it. Much better than Season 2. The DVD has many good deleted scenes, especially from the finale. Rather than just sticking them as "deleted", the producers should have crafted longer episodes for the set.
Anyway, I'm not caught up so, I can't participate, but I thought I'd bring you the sad news.

Noooooooooooooo! Not an end to FNL!! Altho as it was stated here at least they are ending on their own terms and not being canceled by the Network Mukky Muks who don't know anything about good TV.

Alright, so it took me a long time (literally like 5 months, life has been busy) to get through Season 1 and for the most part I really liked it. The #1 reason I picked up on the show is because one of my lifelong best buddies is a huge fan and he loaned me the DVDs and so it was a little extra something for us to bond over. When we met up on the weekends over drinks I'd be able to say "Holy shit, I just got to the episode where they win the playoff game in the racist town!" and things like that and we'd talk about the show. Good times.

I'm not completely over the moon about it, but it stole at least a bit of my heart. The way the family relationship between Coach, Tami and Julie is painted and played is fantastic. Minka Kelly is an elite stunner. I like football. Saracen is easy to root for. Riggins reminds me of some of my friends from high school, etc. A lot to like about it.

So, anyway, now to get to the point:

I just watched the Season 2 premiere and I think the show just jumped the shark for me. I mean, what the fucking fuck? The first time Tyra was attacked by that asshole (in the Season 1 finale) it was shocking and powerful. And I was wondering where it was going.

So in the Season 2 premiere, you decide to turn it into some cheesy 80s slasher movie with Tyra looking behind her every minute at the attacker's car rolling by? And then you have two of your main characters kill a guy and then dump his body in the river like something out of fucking I Know What You Did Last Summer? Jesus Christ.

I think they've lost me. And I'm not sure if I even have the motivation to continue with Season 2. I feel very disappointed.

Can someone tell me if I'm being overly judgmental of this new murder plot twist? Does it get better? Is the show still about football and funny small town people interacting? Or is it I Know What You Did Last Summer 3: Revenge of the Dude Landry Killed?

Season 2 has a lot of left field soap drama to endure, it seems very likely the producers were under pressure from the network to insert things they coukd market the show to new demographics with... Obviously that doesn't work out for the best. Fortunately there's still a lot to like about that season, and the pressure for success has been off since the DirecTV partnership went into effect with season 3, the seasons after 2 have been fantastic, so hang in there.

It just confirms what was thought a long time ago, but at least they get to end the show on their own terms. Speaking of FNL, I just picked up wih 4th season DVD. So Mudfeld, if you want to really catch up, the set is only $20.

Already bought it a little while ago. I've only seen the first 3 episodes with my folks, but I'm quite enjoying it. It was a cool idea to deal with all the poorer kids and more blacks. Very bold.

Also, I can't believe there was a time I didn't like Ms. Taylor. She grew on me. She's quite sexy, too. The phony greetings she gives still bug me a little, but Coach Taylor (I can't remember their first names) does that, too. They're both a little too perfect.

I'm amazed that their daughter looks exactly the same -- hair and everything.

Anyway, I won't stick around because I haven't seen all of Season 4. Neither my mother, nor I like football or sports in general, though she loves watching tennis. My mother has been racing through the DVD set without my father and I as usual. She loves it.

Season 2 has a lot of left field soap drama to endure, it seems very likely the producers were under pressure from the network to insert things they coukd market the show to new demographics with... Obviously that doesn't work out for the best. Fortunately there's still a lot to like about that season, and the pressure for success has been off since the DirecTV partnership went into effect with season 3, the seasons after 2 have been fantastic, so hang in there.

I didn't realize that about Season 2. I liked that they developed Landry, but not much else.

Season 3 was much better. I just talked to a guy the other day who said he loved the movie and Season 1 and Season 2 drove him away, but he was happy to hear Season 3 was better and is considering checking it out.

Has anyone had a problem with concentric circles on their Friday Night Lights DVDs? There's this huge problem in Canada for Seasons 1 to 3 and Universal Canada first replaced my Season 1 DVDs with much better ones, but then essentially ignored me when I complained about Seasons 2 and 3. Basically, the playing gets jammed up; there's artifacting and sometimes you can't fastforward the DVD without it taking forever or just going to the end of the DVD. Universal Canada sucks!

I'm wondering if you folks have had this problem in the US.

Noooooooooooooo! Not an end to FNL!! Altho as it was stated here at least they are ending on their own terms and not being canceled by the Network Mukky Muks who don't know anything about good TV.
I don't really know what DirecTV is and I'm guilty of not catching up on DVD in time to watch Season 4 live, though I live in Canada and don't own a Nielsen box. However, in this age of DVRing and illegal downloads, good shows die young. Meanwhile, "Smallville" goes on, what, 10 seasons?

FNL ending is going to rip a hole in my heart, it's my favorite series ever. I'm not sure why they couldn't continue with this arrangement, unless maybe Comcast's impending takeover of NBC makes them wary of making deals with competitors*. I mean they went through the effort of establishing a new generation of characters, but they won't be giving them the same depth as the earlier characters, in that case it might have been better to stop after season 3, not that I'm complaining about its lengthened life.

**Mudfeld, DirecTv is a satellite television provider in the USA and they cut a deal with NBC that allowed FNL to stay around for seasons 3, 4, and 5 by letting DTV air the episodes on their exclusive channels months before they get played on NBC.

Anyone else watching on DirecTV or *cough* other means?

I just got done watching the first episode of the final ( :sad: ) season.

God damn, I am so very sad that this show is over.

I hadn't watched the penultimate episode that I'd downloaded before flying home this past week, but I found it online and watched on Wednesday so I could watch the finale as it aired, since my folks have DirecTV.

I welled up a few times. I'm going to miss the show - and the characters - so much.

Oh, show!

CLEAR EYES
FULL HEARTS
CAN'T LOSE!

I know everyone has long forgotten. . .but I dug up this thread just to say I just watched the final episode on Netflix and wow, what a beautiful, beautiful piece of television.

Chandler certainly deserved the Emmy he got for this. I will miss this show and the characters.

Just the depiction of Eric and Tammy's marriage is unlike anything I've ever seen on TV. As someone who has been happily married for 14 years I've never seen a more accurate depiction of what it's like when marriage works as it should.

I feel bad for Connie Britton, who went from playing a well-rounded character, one half of a superb television couple, to going to a show where she's little more than a vessel for some sort of demon child(ren), and has little more to do than sit around and wonder if she should leave that house.

SAY IT AIN'T SO, TAMI TAYLOR!

I discovered it right as it was ending. I wish I'd listened to my friends who raved about it over the past few years, and started watching it sooner. I (wrongly) assumed it was just about football, so that's why I didn't bother to watch it for so long. I finished catching up in time to see the very last episode as it aired. It was such a brilliant show.

I feel bad for Connie Britton, who went from playing a well-rounded character, one half of a superb television couple, to going to a show where she's little more than a vessel for some sort of demon child(ren), and has little more to do than sit around and wonder if she should leave that house.

SAY IT AIN'T SO, TAMI TAYLOR!

I feel the same way.

It was very well-done I must say. Put finales like Lost to shame, I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom