"Freaks and Geeks" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
I missed this show the first time around because I was too young for it, but after hearing so much about it over the years (especially with the Judd Apatow craze and the rise in fame of a lot of the cast members, and my love for all of them), I decided to put in my Netflix queue and check it out. My friends and I just finished the series a couple days ago, and we all absolutely loved it. How this show only lasted one season is beyond me. It was brilliant, hilarious, touching and so real. And anything with a brooding James Franco always gets a thumbs up from me.:drool: Is anyone else a fan?

Im a fan! :D. Watched the season a few months ago when Mike borrowed it from a coworker. Was honestly surprised by just how good the show really was. Would have been great if it had been picked up for more seasons. Loved Lindsay's dad!

James Franco :drool:

Such a fantastic show.

Lindsey :drool:

If you like this you should check out Undeclared, more of a comedy (and only a 30 minute show) but features some of the F&C/Apatow gang (including Seth Rogen and Jason Segel) and is REALLY funny.
There's a boxed set available.

I remember watching this during its initial run and liking it a bit, then I re-discovered it on NetFlix about a year or so ago and loved it. Damn, nearly every character was likable and relatable in some way and it was just a blast to watch.

Bill and James Franco's characters were probably my favorites. Do you remember when Franco tried to go punk?

Millie was awesome. I love the scene in the episode where Lindsay throws a party, and Millie sits down at the piano and starts playing/singing "Jesus Is Just All Right With Me" and Jason Segel jumps right in with her. :lol:

Neil was my least favorite of the three geeks.

Sorry. :hug:

Neil, the inglourious basterd.

Always found Millie to be annoying, but that Segel moment was awesome.

And Segel playing "Lady" for Lindsay and singing along horribly, and her being super embarrassed but afraid to show it.

Lindsay and Sam's parents were awesome. As was Kim Kelly.

And you can't forget Biff as the gym teacher who hooks up with Bill's mom.

Yes! That actor has been in a bunch of other stuff, too. I'm trying to remember what I'd recently seen him in and then had such a shock seeing him as the gym teacher, last time I watched F&G.

As was Kim Kelly.

Did I ever mention I met Busy Phillips back in '02 or '03? What a sweetheart.

In addition to praising F&G I told her me & my girlfriend were closet Dawson's fans as well, at which she said she wouldn't tell anyone.

She was filming a show in my store for Fashion Channel or something like that, so we talked for a bit. She was definitely flirting with me, and said to someone on the crew right in front of me (pretending I wasn't there) "I love him". She was having a birthday party at some club that weekend, and had I been single I would have tried to weasel my way into an invite so I could hang with the Creek Crew.

Years later, I was behind Pacey in line for some club in Hollywood (why he didn't just VIP his way inside I don't know). Guy was being kind of loud like he was on camera, but he was genuinely funny. I'm sure people probably thought he was a douche but since I was always a member of Team Pacey I have to give him a pass.

Yes! That actor has been in a bunch of other stuff, too. I'm trying to remember what I'd recently seen him in and then had such a shock seeing him as the gym teacher, last time I watched F&G.

I was checking out his IMDb, looks like it's mainly TV and voice work. He'll always be Biff to me.

That's an awesome story, Laz. Was Pacey the same guy who was in the Mighty Duck movies?

Oh, that's right. Biff!

That's a good story about Busy Phillips. Although I maintain that's one of the worst names I've ever heard. Is that her real name and her parents are cruel human beings, or a stage name?

At least it's memorable.

Man, I can't even think of a character I didn't love on that show. Millie was definitely my least favorite, but one of my favorite scenes is "Jesus Is Just Alright With Me". Neal was my favorite geek, but Bill and Sam were adorable. I LOVED Lindsey and Sam's parents, especially their dad. Lindsey, Ken, Nick, Kim, Daniel, they were all amazing. My favorite character is the best guidance counselor of all time, Mr. Rosso. He was a riot. Good lord, they need to make a movie. Now.

Jason Segel is easily one of my favorite comedic actors working today. Love him. Sadly, I've never watched this show despite the near cult status it has and all the praise I've heard over the years. I'll sit down one day (it will probably literally take one day) and watch the whole series and report back with my findings.

Your findings will likely include mention of how hot some of the women are.

And you wouldn't be off-base.

Speaking of attractive female cast members, I'm now stuck watching Gilmore reruns on ABC Family (or whatever the fuck it's called now) again, which is how I got hooked in the first place.

Today was the episode where Lorelai's character reference for Luke is read at the custody hearing, cross-cut with Christopher finding a written draft of said letter. Man, he was such a douchebag. Thank the TV gods for giving him the boot eventually.

Man, yeah, that's an episode from Season 7. I can barely watch that season (although I have numerous times). It's not nearly on the level of the other 6. It's just such a shame that the Palladinos jumped ship like they did. Oh well. I don't really want to get started on that.

Well, as I said before it's the fucking Palladinos who introduced April (who I don't mind but everyone seems to hate), and put Lorelai back with Christopher in the first place. They ruined their own show, and I give Rosenthal credit for bringing it to a very worthy finish. The final episode was fantastic, and I'd be lying if I said the Laz household was dry-eyed that night. :reject:

Also, the episode with a drunk Lorelai singing I Will Always Love You at karaoke is coming up soon. A fucking crime she never won an Emmy.

Well, as I said before it's the fucking Palladinos who introduced April (who I don't mind but everyone seems to hate), and put Lorelai back with Christopher in the first place. They ruined their own show, and I give Rosenthal credit for bringing it to a very worthy finish. The final episode was fantastic, and I'd be lying if I said the Laz household was dry-eyed that night. :reject:

Also, the episode with a drunk Lorelai singing I Will Always Love You at karaoke is coming up soon. A fucking crime she never won an Emmy.

I agree with everything here and, yeah, I think we've gone over this before. The finale is as perfect as it could have been given the situation. I just think that the writing in Season 7 as a whole is noticeably weaker.

I say it's a shame the Palladinos jumped ship like they did for a number of reasons. Like you said, because they left the new writing crew with the shitty storyline about Lorelai and Christopher. And because Amy said in interviews that she knew from the start what the final line of dialogue would be between Lorelai and Rory. And we will never get to know what that ending was.

Anyway, I'm going to check out Undeclared eventually, too. Once I'm done with the other 100 tv shows that I want to check out right now.

It was probably "Here's looking at you, kid" or "We're just a couple of Gilmore girls!"

I wouldn't give her TOO much credit. I actually love how the final scene's dialogue slowly fades out, as if their repartee goes off into infinity.

I love the last scene, too. It's actually a near exact replica of the last scene of the Pilot episode where, if you'll remember, the two of them have just been served by Luke at the diner and the camera pans out and the dialogue fades, as you so eloquently put it, into infinity. The whole thing was brought full circle. So, yeah, kudos to Rosenthal (or whoever pulled the trigger on that idea) for at least getting the parting shot right.

Back
Top Bottom