** Film AWARDS season time again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You forgot Sound Editing.

I'm not so sure Gravity takes Editing, either. Not a very fast-paced film.!

Gravity's score was obnoxious so let's hope not on that one.

Could be a Cabaret-type situation where it wins a lot of awards incl. Director but loses Best Picture to the "heavier" film. Not that 12 Years has much in common with The Godfather, but that also took the big prize with only 2 other awards. And similarly it would be 1 acting award and Adapted Screenplay.

Wild guess, but of its 10 nominations, American Hustle will win something, based on averages alone. One from supporting actress, editing and original screenplay seems most likely.

Agreed with 12 Years a Slave winning best picture, not certain that Cuaron is a lock for best director.

Last edited:
Because Hustle cuts between different subplots, and has the slow motion, freeze frames, etc it certainly has a flashier form. It's also a lot faster paced.

So it definitely seems like a contender in Editing. I don't think Sup. Actress is happening at this point, as Lupita Nyong'o has a pretty likable Cinderella story. A few weeks ago I would have said Original Screenplay too but people seem very passionate about Her, and it already won the Golden Globe and Writer's Guild awards over Hustle.

Despite thing for the most nominations, Hustle could wind up getting shut out, and it's certainly happens before. There isn't one category in which it seems to be a clear frontrunner.

Despite thing for the most nominations, Hustle could wind up getting shut out, and it's certainly happens before. There isn't one category in which it seems to be a clear frontrunner.

It wouldn't surprise me. I think somewhere around page 1 or 2 I predicted it falling flat at the Oscars, but who knows. According to the Vegas odds, it's 2nd or 3rd in every major category in which it has a nomination. Currently, I am thinking that editing is most likely, although Gravity could go on a tear.

Personally, I like all of the best picture front runners, so I can't complain.

I hope Her wins original screenplay, since Before Midnight was placed in adapted for whatever reason. It's fantastic in its own right.

Last edited:
In terms of cutting from shot to another Gravity obviously (seemingly) has less going on, but the amount of expertise that went into compositing multiple shots and disparate elements into each long take to make it all as invisible as possble deserves recognition. Though maybe it shouldn't/won't win because it's hard to draw the line between where that ceases to be editing (I don't think it ever entirely does btw) and starts being visual effects or cinematography or whatever.

That's the problem. And also why I don't feel Lubezki should win either. His accomplishment, as with Children Of Men, is a logistical one rather than a photographic one, and assuming Cuaron designed the shots it's hard to gush over the "cinematography".

Not that it doesn't look nice anyway, but aesthetic wise this isn't in the same league as The Grandmaster, Llewyn Davis, etc.

Film and sound editing were always pointless categories to begin with since even the people that work in the field don't get to see what the editors are actually doing (although I think they've sent out small sizzle reels in the past for the former...probably similar to what you see on TV with the multiple screens). That's why the Film Editing award nomination is always tied in to a film's chances of winning Best Picture...mostly because it's tied to the quality of the film.

I agree that Gravity is a ridiculous selection given the small amount of editing that it actually required, but I honestly think it's taken over the technical talk of the year and will carry a bunch of unnecessary awards over the line.

Best Sound Editing - Glenn Freemantle, Gravity

Best Foreign Language Film - The Great Beauty

I do need to change one category from a lock to italics. I think Gravity has a solid chance at winning Production Design (also a ridiculous choice given how much of it was just blue screen/CGI). Still think The Great Gatsby is the favorite though.

BAFTA results are in, with Gravity taking home Best British Film:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26218678

Not sure how I feel about that. It's both funded by and stars Americans, but was produced by a Brit as well as having British filming locations, crew and special effects. Apparently the clincher was Cuaron holding British residency. It just seems to go against the spirit of the award.

Yeah smells like bullshit to me.

No matter; 12 Years A Slave won Best Film overall and that means it's won the top prize at the Globes, Broadcast Critics, Producer's Guild (tied with Gravity), and BAFTA.

I think it's pretty much the expected winner on Oscar night now.

I think The Hunt is going to win Best Foreign Film now...The Great Beauty is hardly a crowd pleaser. The Hunt is easy to follow, has a subject matter intriguing to everybody, is not all that artsy and stars someone who is pretty well known in America thanks to the Hannibal tv show (which you all should watch because it's mind boggling that something so creatively daring is currently on network television).

And it's a very good movie as well, if not particularly innovative, so I find it difficult to complain.

Back
Top Bottom