Film and Movie AWARDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm usually unplugged from these awards, but someone please tell me: how can a film like The Help get as many nominations as it did?

So different contingents of the Academy manage to break new ground for acceptance of artistry in their stuffy politicking by nominating The Tree of Life & reinforce their irrelevance by taking a manipulative, horribly received Stephen Daldry movie yet again simultaneously. You can't judge art by dumb awards, but I'll still nitpick because of the sway they have on uninformed movie goers.

There actually are some bold, welcome picks here. I'm glad there was enough #1 vote love for The Tree of Life to make it in, floored that they actually chose Gary Oldman (despite laregly leaving the film out other than quite welcome nods for Score & Adapted Screenplay), happy for Bichir (though the Fassbender-obsessed will cry afoul that the Academy is afraid of risque material), and obviously appalled at the impact the Daldry butt-kissers have. If you look at the technical nominations, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo clearly is the one that should be in Extremely Loud's place.

I was also really pleased to see A Separation score Best Original Screenplay.

Complete shafts: Woodley for the Descendants, "Life's a Happy Song" & "Pictures in My Head" from the Muppets (they picked only the worst of the possible three), 50/50 for Best Original Screenplay, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for Best Original Score (despite Reznor/Ross' victory last year), The Tree of Life for Visual Effects, TTSS for most of its technical achievements and the motion capture rejection of Tintin instead nominating rehashes like Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2.

The fact that they gave a throw away nod in Film Editing to The Descendants definitely reaffirms the reality of a Descendants vs. The Artist slug fest people predicted back in the early goings, while people thought The Artist had it in the bag, now I'm not so sure.

I was thinking that the nominations make it look like it will be a Hugo vs. The Artist slug fest, not The Descendants vs. The Artist. I don't know.

I was thinking the same as you, in that Dragon Tattoo looks like it would fit much better in the BP category, replacing Extremely Loud and Incredibly Hanks.

Also agreed, I was a bit bummed to not see Woodley's name in there for Supporting Actress. I haven't even seen that movie yet (was actually thinking about going this afternoon maybe) but let's be honest...this was the only chance that girl will ever have to be nominated for an Oscar. And she barely missed the cut. Oh, well. She's still very cute.

#HollywoodProblems

lazarus said:
I don't think Pooh getting nommed is an impossibity. First, if I'm not mistaken there may be enough eligible films this year to widen the category to five titles instead of the usual three. Also, what else besides Rango and Tintin is a sure thing? Arthur Christmas? Rio? Cars 2? Kung Fu Panda 2? None of these are exactly being held up as best of the year quality, whereas Pooh had very good reviews IIRC.

bono_212 said:
I meant it was a fantasy that nothing else would be nominated, save those three.

I'm putting my money on it being Rango, which will win, Tintin, Pooh, Arthur Christmas and Rio, but a Pixar snub seems unlikely. Crossing my fingers.

Purely from a technological standpoint, Tintin should win, but the catergory is best animated picture, and the all around winner probably would more deservingly go to Rango. Of course, since Winnie the Pooh was like, the only traditionally animated film to come out this year, I pretty much have to root for it. Plus it was awesome, so there's that. I don't recall if there's an animated short catergory or not, but the cartoon that was on before Pooh was also amazing.

Can not fucking believe my strongest outrage is pouring out towards the animated film category. There's nothing shocking about the Best Picture noms, imo.

I was thinking that the nominations make it look like it will be a Hugo vs. The Artist slug fest, not The Descendants vs. The Artist. I don't know.

I was thinking the same as you, in that Dragon Tattoo looks like it would fit much better in the BP category, replacing Extremely Loud and Incredibly Hanks.

Also agreed, I was a bit bummed to not see Woodley's name in there for Supporting Actress. I haven't even seen that movie yet (was actually thinking about going this afternoon maybe) but let's be honest...this was the only chance that girl will ever have to be nominated for an Oscar. And she barely missed the cut. Oh, well. She's still very cute.

#HollywoodProblems

I don't know, I think once you see her performance you'll see she's got plenty of potential for weighty roles down the line. But yeah, hopefully she doesn't get crappy offers because of her looks and her origins on that teen soap. This was a hell of a debut for her though.

Hugo I think is a movie that is admired because of its ambition, but all along The Descendants has been one that is highly regarded for succeeding at what it tries to do, and toeing the line between poignance and comedy is never easier, nor is it easy to pull off a film that could very easily come off as hackneyed. Again, I think the Film Editing nom is very telling for The Descendants, it is not one of its standout qualities and certainly not one of the best achievements in editing in 2011 but that category has a lot of pull on the Best Picture category so I think that nomination is very telling.

I'll give you $1000 if Shailene Woodley is ever nominated for an Academy Award.

This was her chance.

Can not fucking believe my strongest outrage is pouring out towards the animated film category. There's nothing shocking about the Best Picture noms, imo.

Given just how poorly Extremely Loud was received, everyone thought the Daldry love-fest was over, and how The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has all of those nominations and is left out, it's pretty shocking. Has any film ever had just one other nomination and been a BP nominee?

That said, I'll accept Von Sydow's nomination to make up for ignoring the bulk of his career, especially his performance in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Given just how poorly Extremely Loud was received, everyone thought the Daldry love-fest was over, and how The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has all of those nominations and is left out, it's pretty shocking. Has any film ever had just one other nomination and been a BP nominee?

That said, I'll accept Von Sydow's nomination to make up for ignoring the bulk of his career, especially his performance in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

All along, people in the know have had a list of 15 films and the projection of 8 nominees. We ended up with 9 nominees and all of them were from that list of 15. Therefore, me =/= shocked.

Yes, all along Extremely Loud was among those, until early December when WB refused to screen it for the National Board of Review, the Globes ignored it, and it finally came out to toxic reception, it hasn't made a blip until now when it gets only 2 nominations including an inexplicable one for BP.

Inexplicable until I remembered that it not only had the Daldry sap card, but Scott Rudin in its corner.

Great quip from Indiewire's The Playlist earlier:

"sure, it might be the worst Best Picture nominee since, what, “Doctor Dolittle?” “Cleopatra?” Ever? But at this point, if Scott Rudin produced a Stephen Daldry film that involved nothing but kittens being thrown into wood chippers for 90 minutes, it’d probably still manage a nomination.'

:lol:

That was to be expected though, and at least audiences liked that movie, unlike this (and to some degree, The Reader) which was all campaigning and Oscar bullshit.

Yeah, not to say that Gump was completely deserving, or even a great film, but it was definitely beloved, and it had some cultural impact and some memorable characters/moments.

There are certainly worse Best Picture nominees than Forrest Gump.

Powerhour, A Serious Man and The Blind Side only had 1 nom in addition to BP. Having a list that can go to 10 will allow that kind of thing to happen.

Grand Hotel actually won BP with no other nominations.

Because Hugo got a few tech nome that The Artist didn't, it was able to cancel out the latter's acting noms, and add another to lead the field in total noms.

Conceivably we have the possibility of Hugo winning more Oscars than the actual BP winner. I think it's a likely winner in Art Direction and Costumes, possibly editing, one or both sound categories, and even special effects. And then there's Marty who might win his second in the same BP/BD split fashion that Oliver Stone and Spielberg did.

Even if The Artist takes Direction over Marty, it's an underdog in both acting categories and screenplay. I think score is a good bet, cinematography and editing are questionable.

The Artist winning Cinematography would be hilarious (ly misguided). Same for editing really.

Yeah, not to say that Gump was completely deserving, or even a great film, but it was definitely beloved, and it had some cultural impact and some memorable characters/moments.

There are certainly worse Best Picture nominees than Forrest Gump.

they have the People's Choice Awards and MTV Awards for beloved or popular movies

I just have very little respect for blatant pandering to sentimentality.

Powerhour, A Serious Man and The Blind Side only had 1 nom in addition to BP. Having a list that can go to 10 will allow that kind of thing to happen.

Grand Hotel actually won BP with no other nominations.

9 Best pics noms is kind of a funny number (for some people)

was Dragon or Melancholia, denied their spot? :angry: *

* 5% threshold required​

The Artist winning Cinematography would be hilarious (ly misguided). Same for editing really.

A shame when superior efforts in black and white have been nominated in the last decade but lost (The Man Who Wasn't There, Good Night And Good Luck).

The "smaller" or mellower frontrunner tends not to win Editing (Million Dollar Baby, The King's Speech). They gave it to The Social Network last year, so a win for Hugo or Dragon Tattoo is more likely IMO. Yes, The hurt Locker beat Avatar in this category, but the former had a lot of tense scenes which would give it an upper hand, and it was still a hybrid action movie. The Artist has some fun montages, but nothing else that really attracts attention. Crash would seem like an exception but it had a bunch of different storylines which some idiots mistake for equalling great editing.

A few months back I mentioned that a friend of mine won best new documentary at the Palm Springs short film festival. He just found out this week that he got nominated for a Genie Award too... I realize the Genies are to the Oscars what the Butt-Fuck, Idaho Highschool Football Championship is to the Superbowl, but cool for him none the less

Because Hugo got a few tech nome that The Artist didn't, it was able to cancel out the latter's acting noms, and add another to lead the field in total noms.

Conceivably we have the possibility of Hugo winning more Oscars than the actual BP winner. I think it's a likely winner in Art Direction and Costumes, possibly editing, one or both sound categories, and even special effects. And then there's Marty who might win his second in the same BP/BD split fashion that Oliver Stone and Spielberg did.

Even if The Artist takes Direction over Marty, it's an underdog in both acting categories and screenplay. I think score is a good bet, cinematography and editing are questionable.

I'll remind you (sadly) that Gangs of New York was up for 10 and took home none.

The "smaller" or mellower frontrunner tends not to win Editing (Million Dollar Baby, The King's Speech). They gave it to The Social Network last year, so a win for Hugo or Dragon Tattoo is more likely IMO. Yes, The hurt Locker beat Avatar in this category, but the former had a lot of tense scenes which would give it an upper hand, and it was still a hybrid action movie. The Artist has some fun montages, but nothing else that really attracts attention. Crash would seem like an exception but it had a bunch of different storylines which some idiots mistake for equalling great editing.

My money would be on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for editing, but will they really give it to the same team two years in a row?

I'll remind you (sadly) that Gangs of New York was up for 10 and took home none.

Well right, but there was a huge backlash that year because of Weinstein and because of that phony, pro-Scorsese letter Robert Wise signed his name to that appeared in Variety.

I'm guessing without that controversy, it would have at least won for Art Direction, Costumes, Cinematography, Editing, Day-Lewis, and probably Scorsese. Despite the late surge of The Pianist.

More importantly, Hugo doesn't seem to be as divisive. There's no way it's not winning anything.

My money would be on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for editing, but will they really give it to the same team two years in a row?

If Gustavo Santolalla can (undeservingly) win two years in a row, then yeah. I don't even know if the editors names are even printed on the ballot, and regardless people aren't even paying attention to that.

The only other one I could see winning Editing is Hugo. If The Artist wins that or Art Direction, a major, major sweep is happening.

Back
Top Bottom