Favorite "Special Person" in Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I think the term "special" is kind of patronizing. I'm certainly not implying you intended it that way, though, MrPryck, I'm sure you didn't. I believe what is considered PC at the moment (it seems to change frequently) is "developmentally disabled" or "intellectually disabled."

The problem with that is that most retarded people are not disabled in any way. One part or another of their person has been retarded in its development. Hence "retarded".

When I hear people say not to use the term 'retarded', I feel like I am listening to Michael Scott not want to use the term 'mexican' because its derogatory.

The problem with that is that most retarded people are not disabled in any way. One part or another of their person has been retarded in its development. Hence "retarded".

When I hear people say not to use the term 'retarded', I feel like I am listening to Michael Scott not want to use the term 'mexican' because its derogatory.

I understand what you're saying, and by definition, that is indeed what happens, certain physical or mental processes are "retarded." It's correct, but it's still generally not used in a PC way, at least these days.

(side note - it annoys the shit out of me to hear people refer to things as being retarded, much the same as people use the term gay as a put down.)

In the PC terms I've stated, you can also substitute the term "challenged" for "disabled."

Honestly, I took a course a few years ago, and looking at the various terms used by the medical profession, the mental health profession, the education system, care providers, and the people and their families themselves, it's confusing, to say the least.

Honestly, I took a course a few years ago, and looking at the various terms used by the medical profession, the mental health profession, the education system, care providers, and the people and their families themselves, it's confusing, to say the least.

Agreed. That is why I have adopted the stance that I am better than every person I meet regardless of their race, sexuality, religion, nationality, or social position. Therefore, everything I say is, by default, either derogatory or condescending. Sometimes both.

"Retarded" is the correct term. They are 'retarded' because their development (and sometimes their genetics) is slowed or impeded.

They would be 'special' if their condition gave them super powers.

You are correct, sir! No doubt!

I also agree, "special" could be a patronizing term, but that wasn't my intention. I was simply using the term with tongue planted firmly in cheek.
I guess I could've named the thread Favorite Retard in Film. But, special sounded a little more broad. A person could've been retarded, or learning impaired or blind or deaf or a mute. A freak of some sort. But, they could all fit nicely under the "Special Person" umbrella.

In Slingblade, everyone called Carl a retard, but I didn't look at him as a retard. I looked at him as a "special person" because of his innate ability to repair small engines in a timely fashion. :lol: Plus his haircut rocked!

I remember many years back in the 80's when Mickey Rooney played a retarded man in a TV movie called Bill. He would say his name was William, but call him Bill for short. I think he did a couple of those movies and they were actually based on a real man named Bill. These movies were tearjerkers for sure. At one point, we actually saw the real Bill.

Anyway, does anyone remember this?

Shit, I was really bored so I looked up the movie.

It came out in 1981 and Dennis Quaid also starred in it. Bill actually has an 8.1 rating out of 10 at imdb.

They even did another TV movie in 1983.

Now your life is complete! :lol: :wink: :doh:

William H. Macy did one a few years back on TNT, if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom