Favorite/Least Favorite Director/Actor Pairings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
After seeing Ed Wood for the first time about three weeks ago, I had thought about making this thread, and then promptly forgot about it. Tonight, I was looking through Robert Zemeckis' filmography and noticed he's used Tom Hanks a few times, and I've enjoyed all three of those films, and that prompted me to get back around to making this thread.

So, I'm not sure what my favorite would be, I had something in mind but I've forgotten, but the one I'm definitely most tired of at this point is Depp/Burton.

Yeah, Depp and Burton need to go bury themselves in a hole somewhere for a decade or two.

Wong Kar-Wai/Tony Leung Chiu-Wai ftw.

Three replies and no mention of Scorsese/DeNiro or Nolan/Bale? You're all off your game tonight.

Anyway, here are some more:

Kurosawa/Mifune
Antonioni/Vitti
Fellini/Mastroianni, though not an extremely prolific relationship a very important one
Hou Hsiao-Hsien/Shu Qi
Almodovar/Cruz
Godard/Karina
Hitchcock/Grant
Woo/Chow

I'll think of some more that are obviously eluding me.

Hitchcock/Grant

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but I assume it is, but another one that I really find grating is Hitchcock/Stewart. It's not Hitchcock's fault though, I'm not a big Jimmy Stewart fan.

Rivette/Ogier
Truffaut/Leaud
Chabrol/Audran
Buñuel/Rey
Allen/Keaton
Allen/Farrow
Lee/Washington
Carpenter/Russell

Burton/Depp would definitely be my least favorite, came to mind as soon as I saw the thread title.

Nolan/Bale was entirely facetious anyway. :wink:

One that has very little artistic merit or significance but never fails to make me smile: Anderson/Murray.

I kind of figured.

And your latter suggested triggered another hardly-related one in my brain:

Jarmusch/De Bankole

Scorsese/Keitel's pretty great. Also:

Fincher/Pitt
Soderbergh/Clooney
PTA/Reilly
Leone/Eastwood
Hawks/Grant
Coens/McDormand
Welles/Cotten
Guest/Levy
Tarantino/Feet

Carpenter/Russell's probably my favorite though, alongside Anderson/Murray.

You boring motherfucker.

Yes. I am.

Scorsese/DiCaprio would be on a longer list, for the record. So would PT Anderson/the HOFF!. So would The Bergh!/Clooney and the Coens/McDormand

I'd like to say Spike Lee/Denzel but there are clunkers mixed with the ones I like.

I'm sure there are historic pairings that I'd list if only I'd seen all the films in question. Kazan/Brando, Capra/Stewart, Huston/Bogart, etc.

I'm very tired of Burton/Depp as well, I should add. Very tired.

Big yes for Huston / Bogart. Some others:

Wilder / Lemmon
Kurosawa / Mifune and Shimura
Hawks / Grant
Mann / Stewart
Melville / Delon

Tough to beat Scorsese/DeNiro, but a list of mine would have these two near the top:

Ford/Wayne

I can't believe I forgot this one.

Also, under least favorite, how about:

Scott/Crowe

I don't actively dislike any of their pairings, but considering all the hype they haven't exactly yielded great results.

I can't believe I forgot this one.

Henry Fonda and Ford have quite a track record(My Darling Clementine, Grapes of Wrath, Fort Apache, Young Mr. Lincoln, Mister Roberts...).

But between the two, Ford/Wayne in a landslide:

Fort Apache
The Quiet Man
Rio Grande
The Searchers
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Stagecoach
They Were Expendable

probably a couple more I'm missing

Kurosawa had that one guy who was in a bunch. Can't imagine Throne of Blood without him

Back
Top Bottom