Favorite/Least Favorite Director/Actor Pairings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotcha now, bitch!

stranglecapefear.jpg

Henry Fonda and Ford have quite a track record(My Darling Clementine, Grapes of Wrath, Fort Apache, Young Mr. Lincoln, Mister Roberts...).

But between the two, Ford/Wayne in a landslide:

Fort Apache
The Quiet Man
Rio Grande
The Searchers
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Stagecoach
They Were Expendable

probably a couple more I'm missing

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Three Godfathers
The Long Voyage Home
The Wings of Eagles
Donovan's Reef

And there may be a couple more.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Three Godfathers
The Long Voyage Home

And there may be a couple more.

Wow, Liberty Valance too. And Godfathers and Long Voyage Home are both good too. Guess Ford/Wayne trumps Scorsese/DeNiro for me, though I can't imagine the Duke pulling off Raging Bull like DeNiro.

scorcese and de niro made some overrated trash

yet de niro escaped with his reputation intact, scorcese is one of the most overrated directors IN HISTORY

I have to rewatch Marnie, and I liked The Birds, despite THE TIP!. The fact that he's creating some of the most pivotal horror film conventions is what makes it enjoyable for me. She's just the blandest leading lady of any of the films that I've seen of his.

Hate to play the comparison game, but put her up with Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly, Eva Marie Saint, or Kim Novak and she's completely weaksauce.

I think the character she's given to play in Marnie is one of the most fascinating out of any of his female roles. Certainly one of the more aggressive and psychologically complex ones. She doesn't have the natural star charm of those others, although to be honest I've always had a hard time connecting with Novak, despite Vertigo being my favorite Hitch and #2 film overall.

I think the character she's given to play in Marnie is one of the most fascinating out of any of his female roles. Certainly one of the more aggressive and psychologically complex ones. She doesn't have the natural star charm of those others, although to be honest I've always had a hard time connecting with Novak, despite Vertigo being my favorite Hitch and #2 film overall.

If only Vera Miles had starred in Vertigo instead of Kim Novak as Hitchcock originally planned. Her pregnancy screwed us out of what probably would have been one of the great female performances.

I'll agree there. Novak has an animalistic quality that is captivating to an extent, but I wonder how layered a perf someone like Miles could have given us.

Back
Top Bottom