Favorite Horror Films

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
I know this is a bit late, I just fancied what were your favorite horror films to watch on Halloween. Here's mine:

The Candyman (I like a lot of Clive Barker's books, but this film is pretty good)
A Nightmare On Elm Street (it's one of those films you watch when your 13 and it manages to scare the beholy's out of you. The original would be scarier if they didn't make 20 sequals whereby it was more about Freddy Krueger's wise cracks then actual half decent believable acting).
Scream (another Wes Craven directed film which sends up the horror genre. I have probably seen it too many times to enjoy it as much as I used to but it still is good film)
Ring (Japanese original)
Omen Series (If you don't believe in the devil anymore than you do in God then this is likely to be no more realistic then the possibility of watching a video tape and dying a week after seeing an image of a girl crawling out of the TV screen, but I find these films scary.)
Dawn Of The Dead & Day of The Dead (In Day Of The Dead there is a guy, who's real name is Joe Pilato, looks the spitting image of Bono. Unfortunately he comes to a sticky end but then baddies always do in these films. The smae guy also makes a brief appearance as a cop in the original Dawn, and here he looks exactly like Bono did in the mid 80's)
It (not as good as Stephen King's book but Tim Curry's appearance of the clown is just as witty as Robert Englund's as Freddie Krueger. I've always hated the creepiness of clowns)

Wolf Creek, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, The Descent (omg! I hate caves and the dark and water!!), The Mist, Cloverfield

there is a guy, who's real name is Joe Pilato, looks the spitting image of Bono.

:ohmy:

508123290_9c80e37e00.jpg

U2.com Exclusive: Bono announces 14th studio album will be released in November 2025

Alien
The Shining
28 Days Later
The Thing
Poltergeist

...hmm, that's pretty much all of them.

:lol:

I'm just imagining how many new Lanois qoutes we'd have by then.

Last summer, Edge invented this thing called the "headphone", and we believe that, if you listen to our revolutionary new album on a pair them, you can, in fact, see your future. Those were the two most productive weeks of my life.

The Shining (Kubrick, '80)
The Exorcist (Friedkin, '73)
The Thing (Carpenter, '82)
Prince of Darkness (Carpenter, '87)
Angel Heart (Parker, '87)
I Walked With a Zombie (Tourneur, '43)
Suspiria (Argento, '77)
Phantasm (Coscarelli, '79)
Interview With the Vampire (Jordan, '94)
The Exorcist III: Legion (Blatty, '90)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola, '92)
Phantasm II (Coscarelli, '88)
The Ring (Verbinski, '02)
In the Mouth of Madness (Carpenter, '94)
The Serpent & the Rainbow (Craven, '88)

Don't consider the Evil Dead trilogy horror as they're too funny, so not included here. Also think my favorite Cronenberg films (Videodrome, Scanners) are more sci-fi than horror.

The Shining (Kubrick, '80)

I much prefer this version to the newer remake. Scared the crap out of me when I first watched it at around 13 years old. Personally I think the Jack Nicholson version is 10x better. He plays such a good psycho and Olive Oyl's buggy eyes make for a good laugh throughout the movie. The twin girls are way creepy. I know the remake version is probably more precise to the book, but to me is just too long and drawn out, and dude is just not psycho enough for me. Plus the kid's mouth bugs the hell out of me. It's like he cant close it or something.

Ooh laz, good call...Serpent and the Rainbow and Phantasm, both brilliant. The tall man in Phantasm, one scary mofo.

I think most of my favs have been nailed already, but Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) belongs on the list. But I'm a sucker for that whole genre...even crap like Wrong Turn keeps me entertained (and Wrong Turn 2 gives you the added bonus of Henry Rollins woo hoo).

I much prefer this version to the newer remake. Scared the crap out of me when I first watched it at around 13 years old. Personally I think the Jack Nicholson version is 10x better. He plays such a good psycho and Olive Oyl's buggy eyes make for a good laugh throughout the movie. The twin girls are way creepy. I know the remake version is probably more precise to the book, but to me is just too long and drawn out, and dude is just not psycho enough for me. Plus the kid's mouth bugs the hell out of me. It's like he cant close it or something.

Yeah, I've heard the remake is more faithful; apparently Stephen King didn't like the liberties taken with the first film and always wanted to remake it. But I don't really care what he thinks--the reason the original film is better is because of Kubrick's fucked-up images more than the story stuff. The bloody elevator, the two girls, the guy in the dog costume blowing the other guy...crazy shit.

Ooh laz, good call...Serpent and the Rainbow and Phantasm, both brilliant. The tall man in Phantasm, one scary mofo.

Unfortunately, Phantasm II is unavailable on DVD in the U.S. (it can be found, though :shifty:) I do need to see the third and fourth parts, which apparently aren't too bad.

The remake is definitely more faithful to the novel, but much inferior to Kubrick's twisted vision.

I didn't even think of Cronenberg for this topic, because as you said, more of a sci-fi element than horror to his best early work.

You mean getting attacked by a fire hose and one of the guys from Wings isn't terrifying?

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm not generally a fan of horror movies, but this one was truly terrifying :no: And for that reason I'll never watch it again :lol:

Just watched part of the Shining on tv the other night too.. *shivers*

Thanks to this thread I was watching clips of classic horror movies on youtube... like the decapitation scene from The Omen. :evil:

My favorites are:
The remakes of both Thirteen Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill :)shrug: )
A Nightmare on Elm Street
and
Halloween.

Anything I just watch on my quest to find the worst horror movie ever made.

As far as the Shining is concerned, being a huge fan of the book, I'm a bit disappointed in the Kubrick version JUST because the name of the movie is the Shining. If it were anything else I would love it unconditionally. As for the remake, I've always liked Steven Weber, so that wasn't weird for me, and I just liked how faithful it was. It was fun to watch while I was home sick.

My favorites are:
The remakes of both Thirteen Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill :)shrug: )
A Nightmare on Elm Street
and
Halloween.

Anything I just watch on my quest to find the worst horror movie ever made.

As far as the Shining is concerned, being a huge fan of the book, I'm a bit disappointed in the Kubrick version JUST because the name of the movie is the Shining. If it were anything else I would love it unconditionally. As for the remake, I've always liked Steven Weber, so that wasn't weird for me, and I just liked how faithful it was. It was fun to watch while I was home sick.

YouTube - Silent Night Deadly Night 2 Rampage-No Text

Have at it.

hmm hmm hmm ha ha ha

oh my God, it's Garbage Day! I have only ever seen that bit before.

This might really go down as one of the worst I've ever seen if I'm actually willing to sit down and watch it. Which I must, I do it for the cause of course

Back
Top Bottom