Downton Abbey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Is anybody else watching this? This is a tremendous show. Great storytelling, great acting, great production value. It takes place in the early 20th century in the fading years of nobility, and is centered around Robert Crawley, the Earl of Grantham, his wife Cora, Countess of Grantham, their three grown daughters, his mother, Violet, the Dowager Countess of Grantham, and the staff/servants/butler/etc of Downton Abbey, the palace in which they live(though Violet lives elsewhere). It's gotten a lot of buzz recently, I was surprised to find that there was no thread for it. It's really a great show, I recommend it to all.

First season is on Netflix, second season is airing now on PBS under the Masterpiece Classic banner in the US(second season has already aired completely in the UK, so be careful if you look this up around the net, it is easy to get spoilered).

I'm watching, and am totally addicted. I'd heard about it for a few months, and one weekend I had nothing to do, so I watched all of season 1.

I love that it airs on PBS, so that means no commercials. :drool:

I love British period drama in general and loved the first season. Look forward to more (though not on commercial TV - we tried to watch it and dear god the ads). Lady Mary might be my favourite character - a great anti-heroine.

I liked the first season quite a bit

watched the first 2 episodes of the second season and feel it was slipped a bit.
not sure if I will watch the next two episodes.

Watched S1 and loved it. Haven't seen season 2 but I'll pick up the DVD when it comes out on Feb. 7.

love it. but season 2 is getting more sentimental and improbable by the minute. whenever someone says, "it shouldn't be long, now" you just know that, yes, it *is* going to be long, very long.

still, love the cast.

I bought the UK unedited version 2 dvd set from PBS.com and cannot wait for a lazy weekend settling under the comforter while it's cold and dreary outside and watching a marathon of seasons one and two. I love this era, anything British and although I've seen bits and pieces, I'm excited to watch it in order straight through from beginning to current. Can't wait for Season 3! :heart:

I missed episode 3 then caught 4, 5 and 6.

liked it enough. worth the time it took to watch.

I jumped back in when I read they were doing a season 3.

It definitely got a LOT soapier in season 2, but I loved every minute of it.

It just sucks that we'll have to wait a year until the next season airs in North America. However, there are ways of getting around that, as I'll want to be watching as it airs in the UK at the end of the year. :lol: Maybe there's hope that it will air concurrently, although I'm not holding my breath.

I watched Downton on Netflix and really got into it.

Looking to next season!

A season 4 is in process of filming. You can get season 3 on DVD from Amazon.uk and it will be available in the US the end of January.

I love this series so much! I watched seasons 1 & 2 over a rainy weekend. It was fabulous!

I heard about it. I'll likely not watch the show after Season 3.

Marathoned all of season 3 including the Christmas special today.
I am so don with this show. The season was so good up until the Christmas special. I'll admit, I've been on the Mary/Matthew boat since season 1, but after killing off Sybil, this was a bit much. Ugh.

I decided at the last minute to watch it, and I'm glad I did.

Lady Violet was top notch with her quips as always. Shirley MacLaine was a nice addition. It was funny watching those two butt heads.

When is Thomas going to get what he deserves. He is so douchey.

I actually liked Lady Mary's wedding gown. I know she looked ghostly, but it was classy.

Is it OK that I find Matthew/Dan Stevens to be rather sexy? Especially when he said to Lady Mary, "Come and kiss me"? Commanding, but I don't know. :D

Even though this episode was good, I know I'm going to be very disappointed with this show once this season is over.

I enjoyed ShirleyMac, but did her every sentence have to be, "America! New! Change!" While Maggie was all, "but England! Old! Tradition!"?

That said, I think my beloved Mrs Hughes is doomed. And I remain amazed at how such soapy material leaves me so entranced. I really could listen to them discuss the merits of heavenly Irish gardens vs their English counterparts all supper long.

I feel bad for Edith, but I knew that marriage wouldn't end well, although it didn't even begin at all, as it turns out.

Now Thomas and O'Brien hate each other, so it'll be interesting to see the two villains go at it, unless they destroy the whole place in the process of destroying each other. Thomas is such a jerk. O'Brien is, too.

I'm glad that Matthew finally decided to use his money to save the house, because his reasons for not doing so were really dumb. :doh:

And I'm beginning to think that Bates really did kill his wife.

I just knew Bates did kill his wife when it was first revealed. Its not that I don't like him as a character, but him coming across as a good, decent man seemed like a facade to me.

Back
Top Bottom