Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 PM
That is not one of the better episodes.

I didn't care much for the Cybermen appearance in New Who, either.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Prologue to episode 1 of the new season:

YouTube - Doctor Who Series 6 Prequel 1

Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Man I've got really high hopes for this season. I don't know why but I'm drawing a sports analogy- last year was an expansion year with a new team, so maybe having a full offseason with the same players to refresh and clean out what didn't work will pay off.

Nixon!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Whoa what got into season 3 of Torchwood? After watching about every other episode in Season 1 I gave up and skipped ahead to Day One. It's like the showrunner (Davies?) finally found an actual vision instead of tossing the inchoate scribblings of a horny 15 year old trying to imagine what "cool" detectives look like on screen.

Season 1 the whole dumb team squabbled like infants and usually just ran around waving guns from their stupid Eddie Bauer Torchwood brand SUV. I don't want to overexaggerate but the 53 minutes of Children of Earth so far hasn't just felt like a welcome breeze, it's a hurricane gale. Everyone has a role to play! No Owen!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

I'll still take the S1 and S2 finales over Children of Earth.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #126
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
No Owen!

This part makes me so sad. I love me some Captain Jack, but I really loved Owen.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'll still take the S1 and S2 finales over Children of Earth.
I disliked the characters so much (despite a brief respite with the ep Captain Jack Harkness) it was probably for the best to skip ahead. This did a ton of good for Ianto, for one, who I like much more than at any point immediately following his Cyberwoman breakdown.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

You really should try to go back and watch Season 2 when you're done. It's much more consistent.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That was quite a rush.

Clearly the Frobisher/alien box scenes owed a lot to Independence Day, but the design choices were smart, Peter Capaldi just nailed the part and the (first few) PM cabinet meeting was extremely well done as well. The cherry on top of all that was the disastrous fait accompli from Torchwood, I don't think I breathed for a solid two hours there. The last hour started getting a little lost in its own bombast as our Torchwood gang didn't have anything to do at the start. But goodness with that ending Davies wanted to wring Jack out.

Solid work, and great fun.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Droppin' trailers like whoa:

The trailers are getting a little worse over time, but the glimpse is appreciated none the less.

YouTube - Exclusive DOCTOR WHO Extended Trailer 2011
Old 04-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Welsh have been quite industrious lately:

YouTube - Torchwood: Miracle Day Official Teaser Trailer

I doubt this was related to the inspiration behind it, but after CoE when Harkness was repeatedly shot, used as a living bomb and then buried alive in concrete it felt like they had sufficiently explored the full extent of that character factoid. The "no death" premise hopefully takes the emphasis off that a little.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Woooo yay Season 3 premiere this time.

Donna being the "new" companion for the S3 Christmas episode was the second major surprise of the revised series so far. (The first was the existence of Captain Jack Harkness, somehow his complete existence eluded me) Was there a contractual issue that prevented her from being le compagnon for season 3? I thought her character was rather brilliant in contrast to the lovey-dovey eyed Rose of the last two season, and a welcome change for the Doctor. (But coming on to it clean though, I'm sure I would have wondered why on earth was Donna so goddamned loud!) I know the talented Euros Lyn (Silence in the Library, Girl in the Fireplace, End of Time, Children of Earth) directed this episode (and there was a welcome tonal shift from the dreary Army of Ghosts/Doomsday), but I can't help but wonder if Toby Haynes or Adam Smith (Moffat's ace directors) would have handled a moment like the Earth first congealing into itself with a touch more grace and wonder.

I think that's enough parenthesis for one paragraph.

"Don't you remember the Cybermen?"
"I was in Spain!"
"They had Cybermen in Spain."
"Scuba diving!"

Definitely caught the "on command of Saxon" part....
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ok this is too cool to wait for further explanation, but I can't wait to find out why Daft Punk is stalking Martha.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to, but it certainly seems like this season the show is trying to make a major push for publicity across the Atlantic:

io9. We come from the future.
Quote:
It's called "The Doctor's Wife"... It's episode four. It was going to be episode eleven of the last season. But I got a sad email as they started shooting the last season, when they got up to the point where they were going to be shooting my episode. It said, "We've run out of money, so we're going to be shooting "The Lodger" instead because we can shoot that in a flat around the corner. And we can't make your episode in the flat around the corner."

Rory didn't exist [in the earlier draft], and that was during Rory's transient non-existent bit, so suddenly getting Rory back meant I had to do a draft of the script that was actually more fun. I was so grumpy at having to write a new draft, and then I discovered I could write these great lines for Rory, and Rory and Amy together.

Gaiman said one of his favorite moments in his episode involves Rory and Amy: "Amy tells Rory off for leaving the Doctor on his own, and Rory says, 'Well, he's a Time Lord, he'll be fine." And she looks at Rory wit infinite compassion and says, 'Rory, it's just what they're called. it doesn't mean he actually knows what he's doing.'"
Quote:
But despite his encyclopedic knowledge of the show, he kept in mind that for many viewers, this could be their first episode of the show. People are sometimes intimidated by the complexity of the show's backstory, but they should really just keep in mind that it's about a blue box that can travel anywhere in time and space and sometimes even get where it's going. And there will be a bloke in it, and he will try to fix what's wrong, and usually he'll succeed, "because he is awesome. Now shut up and watch 'Blink.'"

Tags
doctor who, torchwood