Doctor Who and Torchwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having Matt and her be together for 3 seasons is a pretty interesting notion. It does hint at what sort of finale we can expect for season 6 in October or thereabouts, though. Moffat's put a lot of work in having every element under his stewardship tie together and so if Karen's still sticking around after this year then the colossal arc he's building probably won't be wrapped up in a tidy bow, either.

In fact there's actually a pretty interesting chain being slowly put together: pretty soon we're going to find out how Madame Kovarian and Amy's Baby are related to the Silence, and eventually learn how the Silence and "silence will fall" are connected to the TARDIS explosion and Prisoner Zero, Prisoner Zero who, of course, happened to escape through Amy Pond's wall.

And don't forget we still don't know why Canary Wharf and Journey's End apparently never happened.

MAN. eyeshadow. :shifty:

I'm beginning to think I'm never going to see Series 6. My local Who Source just played all of series 5, but then looped back around to Donna Noble and the Adipose. Sigh.

U2DMfan I'm glad you're posting in here, your avatar is distracting when you post elsewhere. :D

The Guardian gives a basically spoiler-free review of Let's Kill Hitler

There was a thing in the middle of the trailer at the end of the Let's Kill Hitler screening last night. I was going to tell you what they were. Because it's obviously going to come out, after a roomful of journalists who have seen it, that they're back. But I can't bring myself to type the words because one of you beautiful, deranged spoilerphobes will have my eyes for it. But yes, apparently they're back. Even though Steven Moffat told us they weren't. When questioned about why he lied, at the following Q&A session, the gleeful Scot admitted: "I lie repeatedly and continually. It's by far the best way of communicating."

One of the lovely things about this series of Doctor Who is how giddily the press have played along. At every such event this year, Moffat has begged us not to reveal the many and various secrets. It's made reporting on this series of Doctor Who feel like a bizarre game of chicken. And it's not going to be the Guardian who breaks first.

And here's the problem. I can't tell you anything about Let's Kill Hitler. I can't tell you about the nature of Hitler's role in it. I can't tell you about who gets left in the cupboard. I can't tell you who thinks who is gay. I can't tell you about the miniaturisation ray. I can't tell you about the best friend we'd never heard mention of before. I can't tell you about the things with the tentacles. I can't tell you about the crop circles. And I definitely can't tell you about what Doctor Song (as I am refusing to stop calling her) does next. Saying anything at all gives it all away. It's the way with Moffat's intricately plotted scripts.

All I can tell you is that it's really rather good. And after my underwhelmed reaction to A Good Man Goes To War and all its kitchen sinks, it makes for a strong, standalone, character-based episode that manages to carry the weight of the entire series, while making perfect poetic sense. The series is heading in a bravely "hard sci-fi" direction for sure – the inevitable chat will be what the fabled "casual viewer" will make of it all. Yet as Moffat also pointed out: "Assuming an intelligent audience is a good idea and judging by our ratings, it's been a successful idea." (He also said he never goes online to read about the show, something else we know to be a lie.)

In the absence of anything concrete to reveal, I may as well tell you about our night at the BFI bar, which isn't as ridiculous as it sounds. Because after almost a decade working as a music journalist, the thrice-a-year Doctor Who events are fast becoming the most rock'n'roll nights in my calendar. It's partly because of the cast being there. In Karen Gillan (gorgeous in a flesh-coloured cocktail dress), Arthur Darvill (bearded and swaggering and newly-confident now he has a pivotal role in Who- lore) and Matt Smith (absent because of prior filming commitments) we have something of a sci-fi Brat Pack, which is new. It's partly because nobody in the crew seems averse to a spot of ill-advised Monday night drinking. It's partly because the sense of occasion that everything we've discussed above compels. But I think it's mainly because the privilege of being there – and the jealousy of hipster colleagues who four years ago wouldn't even admit to watching – is simply too exciting not to turn the whole thing into a party.

And yes, the episode itself is really, really good.

Who "they" are that's back is in spoiler:

Daleks

You want more?

karen-gillan-in-the-new-series-of-dr-who-pic-bbc-322141814.jpg

wtf

as soon as this episode airs I'm making it my avatar

click again, I know you want to

doc2.jpg

doc6.jpg

Dalek Jellyfish? Gotta say that whatever it is, the design's a little scarier than the tinpot/egg beater Daleks on wheels

Final spoiler from Karen Gillan hinting at the plot and logic behind Let's Kill Hitler:

"we’ve also got a monster called the Teselecta in Let’s Kill Hitler which goes back in time to try to right the wrongs of the past.”

If you go to the BBC's website for Doctor Who, you can find a couple new clips from Let's Kill Hitler as well as a setup video.

Sigh. Stupid PBS.

I'm really getting into Miracle Day, though.

Let's Kill Hitler:

YOU WILL EXPERIENCE A TINGLING SENSATION, THEN DEATH

I didn't understand Mels' character. I didn't understand why Melody became River staring at the dying Doctor. And why do they let killing machines freely roam? "Use ALL the regens!" felt a bit of a cop out.

But that was mad in a fun way. Wow.

I didn't understand Mels' character. I didn't understand why Melody became River staring at the dying Doctor. And why do they let killing machines freely roam? "Use ALL the regens!" felt a bit of a cop out.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm getting to be less and less of a fan of the River Song storyline. I was really hoping they'd throw in a curveball with that girl regenerating at the beginning (Susan, Romana, etc). But instead, it's River. Mels' appearance felt pointless since she was just there to get shot and turn into River.

On the other hand, the Amy/Rory team dynamic is getting better and better. I'm glad we're past the whole "Rory's self-doubt phase of it". Plus, he punched Hitler in the face. My favorite moment in the episode.

Matt Smith had quite a lot of good moments here too. Next week's episode looks pretty creepy.

I also can't wait to see how the Doctor deals with the knowledge of his impending death.

Hmm well this episode was competent enough. I love that Rory's become taught to assume that in case of weird events, he's probably either dead or in the past. A nice, modest workout for the characters.

Scuttlebutt says that this episode was switched with The Curse Of The Black Spot in the episode order.

I thought it was pretty good as well. It had a creepy vibe, though it didn't deliver as much as something like "Blink" (then again, what can?). Rory and Amy's interactions are brilliant and I love seeing the Doctor explain who he is.

I also think the preview for The Girl Who Waited looks amazing.

Future Amy!

I don't like the idea that Doctor Who now has to have an obligatory stand-alone horror story every season now.

At least Blink was filled with mythology.

Wow.

The Girl Who Waited is easily the best episode of this season so far.

The entire interaction between Rory and older Amy was beautifully done. Those two are some of the strongest characters in Doctor Who's history.

Very well done on the set design and character plotting; I never even realized until it was over that The Girl Who Waited was supposed to be the cheap/minimal Doctor episode. There was a bit of slightly dodgy work needed to establish the premise and set the ground rules, but once Rory met Old Amy and I saw what Tom MacRae was going for character-wise, the effort was worth it.

I loved that big old magnifying glass Rory was trucking around.

In retrospect I am ticking A Good Man and Let's Kill Hitler lower for their implausibilities with River. The season has been chugging along at a competent rate; everyone involved with the show is clearly very creative and talented, but as far as stand-alone excellence only The Doctor's Wife has been notable.

That was some strong, strong shit. A nice change to some serious sci-fi after the generic horror from last week.

The makeup job on Karen Gillan was some of the best I've ever seen on television. And obviously it was backed up by a fantastic performance. I didn't think I could be any more in love with Amy Pond and the woman who plays her, but my affection is on a whole other level now. She's really making a run for Best Companion Ever status. And that slo-mo scene when she's fighting the robots? Fucking EPIC.

Darvill was good as well but let's not make the mistake in thinking that he's on Gillan's level, or that Rory is getting the same amount of depth as Amy is. I'm on record as saying that I don't like the idea of a couple traveling with the Doctor to begin with, and while I think they've done some good work with that storyline, there are parts that begin to get repetitious. Just consider that this story could have been written without the presence of a "husband", and the Doctor himself could have been faced with the problem. You wind up finding another solution besides the "think of your first kiss" but that hokum isn't necessary; it would have been equally effective otherwise, especially with an actor of Matt Smith's calibre.

This is the best non-Moffat episode since...I was going to say Vincent and the Doctor but that had a really stupid Coldplay montage that almost sunk it. I was also going to say Amy's Choice but that wasn't quite as good as this. Maybe the Russell T. Davies-scripted Turn Left? Point is you have to go pretty far back to find a non-mythology episode this good.

What are everyone's thoughts on "The God Complex"?

I liked the concept and the fear/faith twist was unexpected. Rita was an excellent character, Smith had many funny moments (door walls or dwalls), and the direction was also good. I really wanted to see what the Doctor's fear was though. The goodbye scene at the end was really well-done, but the impact was a little deadened by the fact that both Amy and Rory's actors have been confirmed for Series 7.

Next week, return of the Cybermen and Craig!

I've been a little frustrated at understanding how the arc of this last half-season comes together, because I felt like the Doctor, Amy and Rory shouldn't have just been poking around again after the events of The Girl Who Waited. When Amy was talking about how the Doctor always rescues them, I kept waiting for "....except my baby" to come up.

I can imagine they realized that Melody was too intertwined with Amy and Rory's childhood to take her away from Madame Eyepatch, but that was never clearly pointed out AFAIK, and the circumstances of Mels' sudden appearance in the story is either sloppy or brilliant plotting- depending on how the season finale goes, I guess. With two episodes to go, we've also not yet had the TARDIS blowing up even be mentioned and are really no closer to figuring out the relevance of the Silence to the plot. I'll be a bit annoyed if we find out the whole season's gone by as the "edited" version of reality with the Silence just off camera frame.

OK so as far as the episode itself goes, I think it was very well shot and executed, and I think Moffat's put in the work to justify the Doctor leaving Amy and Rory in the end scene. It was well played for Amy to give the "count on the Doctor!" speech at just the right time he realizes such a difficult construct he's built.

The Cloister Bell was a dongin' when Eleven pulled open his door (#11, natch), so I'm assuming based on the dialogue A) it's a person, and B) TARDIS related. Either himself (a little dull), a CSI-style bloodspattered Idris strewn on the floor perhaps missing a limb or two, or someone we have yet to meet. I enjoyed meeting Idris and again: no mention of the TARDIS explosion? So maybe I can hold out on that one being relevant.

I've been a little frustrated at understanding how the arc of this last half-season comes together, because I felt like the Doctor, Amy and Rory shouldn't have just been poking around again after the events of The Girl Who Waited. When Amy was talking about how the Doctor always rescues them, I kept waiting for "....except my baby" to come up.

Yeah. What happened to the sense of urgency?

I found The God Complex mostly boring. I could barely keep my attention on it.

The Girl Who Waited should have been right before the finale IMO. I don't need comic relief with the penultimate episode of the season. And considering the finale is only going to be a single, regular-length episode, I don't know how they're going to tie up all these ends satisfactorily.

I was pretty pleased with Moffat's work last season, and he really ended it in epic fashion. But it's hard not to join the chorus of the disappointed, as the best thing this season (The Girl Who Waited, IMO) wasn't even written by him.

Also, it's disappointing that Moffat wrote 6 episodes last season (the first two, the Weeping Angels two-parter, and the finale two-parter), whereas this year he'll wind up with only 5.

an early preview said this next episode blows. mostly character interactions hung on a paper thin plot.

so I'm not going in with high expectations

aaaaaaand that sucked! I didn't mind him in The Lodger, but James Corden really incinerated any good will after this episode. So done with his moaning, useless fumbling, and obnoxious insistence on going with the Doctor before turning around and whining for help three tenths of a second later. I was hoping he'd die, but I guess I wasn't counting on the power of love.

we also learn! Amy is a model. Of course! the "coincidence" scene was the single best part of the episode.

I can't even get through this, and am just going to skip to the end to see whatever mythology stuff has been tacked on. Unbelievable that this crap comes right before the finale.

Moffat has some serious quality control issues.

Ugh.

Ok, here's a neat concept: the Doctor thinks he's become too well known/targeted, so he decides to fake his own death in order to throw everyone off. And cause he's a time traveler/it's a dramatic narrative device, we see the consequence (fake death in the season premiere) prior to understanding the rationale (the combined weight of the rest of the season's stories).

Great, sure. Now we've sort of freed the character from the bombastic renowned name of the last 5 seasons and abolished these grand "I am the Doctor! Fear me!" moments.

But somehow this ended up lodged up its own ass by tying in River Song. The Teselecta robot was such a lame out (especially after Canton Delaware explicitly said the Doctor was dead), the weird bubble frozen-Time universe where Time was collapsing was a weak knockoff of last year's weird bubble universe where Space was collapsing.

I think Moffat's decided "timey-wimey" is an excuse for shallow and ill-defined characterizations. There was a lot of sci-fi jargon trying to cover for basic storytelling. Good on him for the salute to the Brig, though.

Back
Top Bottom