Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #346
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
So....I guess that worked. A lot of really sharp writing and good parts culminating in the Smith to Capaldi scene, but also, tonally off for good sections. See: 300-years-later voice montages and she's-a-Dalek but now she's not because she wished hard enough! And the whole strange Christmas war with Barnaby And The Dickensian Children. Moffat just doesn't have a great sense about building that kind of tone.
Pretty forgettable aside from the changeover.

I preferred The Snowmen a lot more.

At least they didn't drag out out like The End Of Time.

Although it was kind of dumb that all the regeneration fire came spouting out and he still went back to regular Matt Smith.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:32 PM
I've just started Season 3, so I'm not even paying attention to all the new stuff that's going on. "Doomsday" made me cry; I didn't like Rose at first, but she grew on me.

I like Daleks. Does that make me a bad person? They're like angry British salt and pepper shakers.

The Torchwood Institute has some great bonsai trees. That has nothing to do with anything; I just like bonsai trees and notice them in TV shows and movies.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #348
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Old 08-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm still watching Doctor Who on Netflix; I watched The Snowmen yesterday. I noticed that they added a few older episodes that weren't there before and the 50th anniversary special, so that's good. I thought I was going to have to watch it on some shifty website once I get caught up with the ones before it.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #350
Blue Crack Supplier

I loved The Snowmen. Maybe my favorite X-mas episode (not that this is saying much considering the others).
Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #351
The Fly

Yeah, Jenna Coleman is amazing. I have to agree that The Snowman is the best Christmas one - it was a great introduction to her, even if it wasn't really "her"...

Spoilers to Series 7 here, better safe than sorry...

I didn't like that they split Series 7 in half, with Amy & Rory / Clara, because it didn't seem to serve any purpose. All the other seasons with Eleven had a huge finale that (mostly) tied everything together and blew my mind. I really don't see the point of the first half of the series, because there was no massive ending of Amy and Rory that tied all those episodes together. It was just a mix of random, pointless episodes. (I enjoyed most of them, actually, but they weren't very significant) I wish the Dalek Asylum had been mixed into Series 6 and Clara had the whole Series 7.

And the 50th Anniversary... Jeez. That was crazy. And really, really confusing. I hosted a party and dressed up as Clara (I managed to find the exact dress she was wearing in that episode for fairly cheap) so that was fun. But I had to watch it at least five times to fully understand it.

I haven't watched any Doctor Who at all since the Christmas episode (which I thought was mostly dreadful, though all the characters were amazing.... Wonderful actors/characters cannot make up for horrible writing) so I should probably watch at least Series 7 again before the premiere a week from now...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #352
The Fly

Anyone watch the new episode?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #353
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Doctor Who and Torchwood

Agh not yet, I'm much more low key about this season then prior ones for some reason, and the premiere date nearly caught me by surprise when I remembered yesterday. Are they still splitting the season in half?

Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #354
The Fly

Not sure, I only looked as far as Wikipedia, and they only had air dates for the next two episodes. I sure hope not.

The episode was good, vast improvement from the last one.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #355
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:32 PM
The mood of the show does seem to have gotten darker. Capaldi's Doctor comes across much more seriously even when he is messing around.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #356
Blue Crack Supplier

Jesus, that

Matt Smith cameo
was one of the worst things I've ever seen on DW. A slap in the face to Capaldi and totally condescending to the fans. Not to say that a lot of the young 'shippers aren't going to be complaining about the old guy replacing the old heartthrob, but let them deal with it themselves.

The villain was Moffat basically updating his Weeping Angels and Silents, with not being able to breathe substituting for the previous gimmicks. It was executed well, but lazy writing.

And I don't know what the fuck that was in the epilogue, but it sure seemed a lot like a ripoff of Madame Kovarian. Again, lazy and Moffat mining his own past material for ideas.

Coleman was fucking fantastic. Her showdown with the main baddie was a high point for her, acting-wise.

Capaldi great as expected but hard to judge him until he's settled down into his persona. The last 10 min with him was promising, and the restaurant repartee with Clara was played well.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 AM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:32 AM
"Matt Smith's gone now and I'm the fucking Doctor so fucking deal with it."

Children at home burst into tears.

Also his new companion is a homeless bum from London. Oh if only.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #358
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Doctor Who and Torchwood

I'm on board with your reaction/note list laz, but generally a touch more positive across the board. Strikingly, for a good chunk of the episode Moffat's writing pace was methodical in how a number of scenes breathed (sorry) around a single location. It was a refreshing feeling occasionally hearing Moffat's tangled dialogue flow without the rest of the episode trying to hit a psychotic amphetamine-dosed pace. The flip side was the sluggish action and occasionally weak direction. 12 falling out of a tree, the slow sword fighting where nothing seems to actually be happening, and a real disappointment when the cyborg and 12's taut conversation was interrupted by an unneeded outbreak of physical grappling by the open door.

Clara's tête-à-tête with the cyborg was marvelous, not just for Coleman's standout acting but how it actually leveraged the character's teaching background, like a....character. Damn. I've got a great feeling about Coleman and Capaldi together.

I always thought it'd be a fitting representation of such a temporally tangled character that the actor/actor transition be less abrupt than it's historically been. The concept of 11 reappearing as a knot in the wood has a certain power.

I just wish it wasn't for "pleeeeease love the new guy".

Seriously though, did they intend to hire Kovarian 2.0?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #359
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think I'm going to wait to watch Season 8 until it's on Netflix, since I still have to catch up.

I watched "The Rings of Ahkaten" last night. That one was not good at all. So there's a sun monster that eats memories and Clara's leaf gave it indigestion or something...? The one before it was really good, though ("The Bells of St. John").

I have several nerdy friends on Facebook that are writers and also watch Doctor Who (I started watching it because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about), and all they do is complain about it. They overanalyze everything and don't even seem to enjoy it anymore. They remind me of U2 fans, actually.

I was thinking about why I like Doctor Who and why I keep watching it. Despite it having dud episodes now and then, I suppose I keep watching it because it's just fun to watch. It doesn't always make sense, but it doesn't have to. It's like a whimsical fairy tale that is sometimes terrifying, and it shows a lot of creativity and imagination. The Matt Smith era especially has a fairy tale feel to it.

I grew up around sci-fi stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek, but I'm the first Whovian in my family (if I can claim that title at this early stage), so I feel like it's mine somehow. It's my little guilty pleasure that I keep for myself.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #360
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Seriously though, did they intend to hire Kovarian 2.0?
Exactly my thoughts.... one of my friends has a theory that she could be River Song, because River is still technically alive in the database in that library. The attitude certainly matches, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Despite it having dud episodes now and then, I suppose I keep watching it because it's just fun to watch. It doesn't always make sense, but it doesn't have to.
This is a great attitude to have! I'm actually jealous of it, haha. I was like that the first year or so I started watching, but then I got way too into it...

Tags
doctor who, torchwood