Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Yeah well I was wrong about Paul McGann. Glad he got his mini-film, but John Hurt brought the heat.

The best scenes involved sitting in rooms, not weird antics in helicopters or dressing up Gallifrey sets. John Hurt and Billie Piper (!), the three Doctors together, even Jenna Coleman and Hurt. Tom Baker and Matt Smith. Jesus. Everything in that ramshackle farm shed. I thought the solution to the Tower of London cell was the final draft of The Big Bang's "cheat".

There were also antics, and Moffat doesn't have a great tonal sense for things like the military, but whatever. Bring on Capaldi.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:12 PM
I started watching Doctor Who last Saturday, starting with the 2005 episodes. Some of my friends are really into it and warned me that season one is pretty bad, which it is, but it's getting better. It's actually funny and the humor reminds me a little of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm not going to watch any of the 50th anniversary stuff until I'm caught up.

So, hello, my name is Rachel and I'm a Doctor Who fan now.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #333
Blue Crack Supplier

Season One isn't consistent, but The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is one of the best Doctor Who stories, classic or reboot.

The finale's pretty great as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #334
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I just re-read some of my posts earlier in this thread from 2+ years out and they are terrifying. Ugh.

...Doctor Who is occasionally erratic in quality, but that's just kind of its nature. There are a lot of outright great episodes to keep you busy catching up on, a fair number where the charisma of the actor playing the Doctor sells the episode and keeps it entertaining, and a few out and out stinkers.

The first time through the reboot seasons 1-4 I think I underrated RTD's work a bit since it was in light of Moffat in season 5, but I've rewatched a number of episodes back then and was pretty impressed. If you want a cheat sheet, I'd try some of the reviews from androzani.com. They're not unquestionable, but they're well written and the first few sentences should give you a sense of if it's worth your time.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I recently finished Season 1 and watched the first episode of Season 2. The Ninth Doctor didn't last very long, but I like the Tenth so far. It's a lot less cringe-worthy than the beginning of Season 1.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #336
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 06:12 PM
^ That's because RTD is a hack (I'm gonna be hated for saying that on here)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Why does the Doctor need to wear glasses? If he can grow his hand back when it gets chopped off, why didn't he regenerate himself some 20/20 vision?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #338
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #339
Refugee

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Why does the Doctor need to wear glasses? If he can grow his hand back when it gets chopped off, why didn't he regenerate himself some 20/20 vision?
I think Ten said something like he doesn't need them. He just thinks they make him look clever. Might have been that minisode with Peter Davison.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Saw The Caves of Androzani a few nights ago. My first Peter Davison story, I came away reasonably impressed by him in that it was pretty clear Davison carved out his own distinctive Doctor. Two notable things I liked: first, a good example of Doctor Who working within its limitations. This meant a lot of varied soundstage "cave" dressings, and working out of limited rooms, but while the budget was noticeable I didn't think the story outreached its grasp- everyone's socked away fighting over miserable claustrophobic tunnels, and that's what we saw.

The other element was the outright pessimism about how awful both sides of the Androzani conflict were- by no means should the Doctor have gotten in the middle of this, pulling in his companion as well. He's smart, but that can make his curiosity and incompetence (landing at the wrong time) all the worse.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #341
Blue Crack Supplier

Weird to start with Davison's last story but glad you liked it. Deserving of its legendary status.

If you're going to hop around, I'd also recommend Castrovalva (though not unless you've seen Baker's finale in Logopolis), Kinda, The Visitation, Arc Of Infinity, Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, Earthshock, Resurrection Of The Daleks. And of course The Five Doctors.

Those aren't the only good ones but the stories that first come to mind.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #342
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Weird to start with Davison's last story but glad you liked it. Deserving of its legendary status.

If you're going to hop around, I'd also recommend Castrovalva (though not unless you've seen Baker's finale in Logopolis), Kinda, The Visitation, Arc Of Infinity, Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, Earthshock, Resurrection Of The Daleks. And of course The Five Doctors.

Those aren't the only good ones but the stories that first come to mind.
Oh yeah, I was just checking Netflix and didn't realize it was Davison's last until about halfway through Androzani, but I ain't no quitter. Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll probably have to start torrent-hopping to snag a few of them. Actually I'm a bit tempted to see the Seventh Doctor- the descriptions I've heard make it sound a bit like Star Trek Voyager, where when there isn't active sabotage from the producers, there's some fascinating episodes.

Quote:
Like 'The Day of the Doctor' before it, this isn't a story about the whizzes and the bangs or about the monsters, this is a story about the Doctor - and where Steven Moffat does succeed is in bringing the Matt Smith era to a satisfying conclusion.

Bar one point that immediately springs to mind, the showrunner tips his hat to every single dangling plot thread from 'The Eleventh Hour' onwards - some are referenced in passing while others form a major part of the plot.

Read more: Doctor Who: Matt Smith's final episode - Spoiler-free preview - Doctor Who News - TV - Digital Spy
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
I'm betting it's too late for Moffat to coherently sweep all the pieces together into a single whole, but I won't mind watching the attempt. The preview goes on to mention that Matt Smith gets a great showcase on his way out the door.

This probably won't happen, but I'd love to see Capaldi show up suddenly about a third of the way in, short-circuiting the standard sort of ramp-up climax where the Doctor dies with 45 seconds left in the episode. I think playing with that structure a bit would be surprising and fresh.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #343
Blue Crack Supplier

Over the last month I've been DLing entire seasons to fill in the gaps of what I didn't have. Some nice guy put up torrents of every single classic DW season.

So getting what you want shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #344
Refugee

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post

Actually I'm a bit tempted to see the Seventh Doctor- the descriptions I've heard make it sound a bit like Star Trek Voyager, where when there isn't active sabotage from the producers, there's some fascinating episodes.
If you do, I'd recommend Remembrance of the Daleks, a late period classic. Also, the entire last season is really strong. Sadly it was a case of too little, too late. But those eps are definitely out worth checking out.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

So....I guess that worked. A lot of really sharp writing and good parts culminating in the Smith to Capaldi scene, but also, tonally off for good sections. See: 300-years-later voice montages and she's-a-Dalek but now she's not because she wished hard enough! And the whole strange Christmas war with Barnaby And The Dickensian Children. Moffat just doesn't have a great sense about building that kind of tone.

Jenna Coleman is awesome. And I hope Capaldi is a clean start for her without the baggage of the Impossible Girl, because she deserves good things. Fare thee well, Matt Smith.

Tags
doctor who, torchwood