Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:12 AM
This whole half season aside from the Xmas episode has been a giant waste of time. And of course, Vastra and Co. have nothing to contribute to the Clara mystery.

Best part of the episode was the double reference to Tegan Jovanka:

"I once spent a hell of a long time trying to get a gobby Australian back to Heathrow airport."

"Brave heart, Clara."

Old 05-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #302
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Hmm, I'd have to disagree. I've really enjoyed the most of the one-off episodes in this half of the season. I felt "The Snowmen" and "Bells of St. John" were two of the best Moffat eps in a long time. I also really enjoyed "Cold War" and "The Crimson Horror," though I was really disappointed with "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS," due to its poor plot and ending.

I just saw "Nightmare in Silver" and I think it was the best ep of this half of the series yet. Loved the whole chess theme running throughout as well as Matt Smith's performance and I felt it was the best Cyberman episode since New Who started.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #303
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Watched Pyramids of Mars a few days ago. I guess this is part of the template that episodes like Hide or The Crimson Horror are based off of, where the Doctor and his companion are running around in the same building as the villain, causing mischief. When people say the cheap production values add a bit of charm, I think that definitely counts for the "Mummies" Sutekh had running around. They're slowly waddling around in the forest and have a ridiculous chest lump, but even basic stuff like chasing people through the forest felt tense. In fact, I think that's another part of how limited production values can enforce good plot discipline: they only have enough money to film outside a mansion, so everything has to stay geographically centered. With CGI now you can have the hero rocketing around to 4 different planets, but with that ability is the risk of having it all just be an empty slideshow.

I've only seen City of Death alongside this, so I'm still not too familiar with Tom Baker, but he does seem to play well between goofy irreverence and being slightly a prick. It's a shame Sarah Jane was a journalist in 1980 and not 1990, because maybe she wouldn't be stuck wearing a dress!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

Glad you enjoyed those two, they are up near the top of Classic Who.

If you want to check out more standout Tom Baker stuff I'd recommend (chronologically):

The Ark In Space (DW's version of Alien)
Genesis Of The Daleks (arguably the best Dalek story)
The Deadly Assassin (first real depiction of Gallifrey and the Time Lords)
The Robots Of Death
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Sun Makers
Destiny Of The Daleks

There's also a full-season arc called The Key To Time, which consists of 6 stories. They're all worth watching.

The final Baker season has some great stuff, but for mythology purposes I'd save those until you're more familiar with the previous material.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

whaaaaaaaat

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT

whoa!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This giant season 5-7 "arc" I think was clearly being fiddled with as we went along, which is actually kind of fascinating, basically witnessing drafts in real time. Moffat liked the phrase "silence will fall" in season 5 so he tied that into the premise without a clear notion yet of what it meant. Then in season 6 he came up with new monsters and named them the Silence, and turned that into an order preventing the question Doctor Who? from being asked at Trenzalore.

And now in season 7 that idea about "what's the name of the Doctor" morphed today into "what's the nature of the Doctor", identified by the presence of its absence: John Hurt.

that's actually not a bad ending point to segue us into the 50th Anniversary special. I think it's a fool's game to try and retcon everything previous together, although it does really demonstrate how flimsy a lot of connecting tissue was in season 6.

"objectively", whatever that means, this episode itself was fairly well done (and beautifully shot), with some excess fluff from getting too obsessed with The Impossible Girl and The Doctor's Name. But whatever. I loved loved that credit, implying John Hurt may be wandering around this show for a while.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #307
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:12 AM

There's only been one version of The Doctor who was never named The Doctor, which was the Valeyard a future version of himself who tried to get the 6th Doctor executed in one season, I guess this is what will be explored further in why did that Doctor did what he did as the ending seems to imply there were good reasons...though he could also be the Doctor who finished the Time War as some have speculated
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #308
Blue Crack Supplier

The John Hurt credit onscreen was a little tacky.

Still confused.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #309
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 09:12 AM
Is he called Doctor Whom?

OK, so I've watched the 2nd half of season 7 as well as The Snowman and Angles Take Manhattan. I'm still not getting it. Just imho, I think Matt's acting was better in this last episode than it has been, and I do think he's a great actor, I just don't like it when he overacts, and what's more I can't understand others who praise him for his sometimes hammy performance. I'll watch the 50th and the Christmas episode, if I'm still here, but if I still don't like or understand it then I'm giving up.

I wouldn't mind watching some of the classic series though
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

BBC saying Matt Smith is leaving at the end of the year; after the Christmas special. So he'll be here for the 50th and I assume have Christmas be his final bow.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

new Doctor: Peter Capaldi

Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #312
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 AM
I really like this decision. Think he'll do a great job. Glad we're going back to an older doctor too.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

if you had to pick a white dude, I think Peter Capaldi seems like a great choice.

that "if", however, is doing a lot of work.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #314
Blue Crack Supplier

They didn't have to pick a white dude. Just a great actor.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:12 AM
As a fan of The Thick of It and In the Loop, fans of Doctor Who are in for a treat.

Malcolm Tucker is one of the great TV characters.

Tags
doctor who, torchwood