Doctor Who and Torchwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last episode I watched was the one with the Carnival. Interesting idea, but using a movie camera as a weapon was one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen. Even from DW/TW.

This week should probably be Part 1 of a finale, no?

Wow, I just watched Episode 11, "Adrift". Quite possibly the best story so far from this show. Haunting, tragic, amazing. Eve Myles carried the whole thing on her shoulders as the other TW members only featured in a few scenes.

Really looking forward to the final 2 eps now, which are written by the show's main scribe Chris Chibnall (who also did this one).

Can't wait for Dr Who starting in a weeks' time, not least because David Tennant is utterly delectable and Scottish!!! :drool: :combust: :faint: :yippie:

Oh and so is John Barrowman, but then he's gay :sigh:

I saw an advert on SciFi this evening for the new season of DW. Totally looking forward to it. :D

And I lurve John Barrowman. He's adorable and sexy and funny. And has some of the hottest kissing scenes on tv. woot!

Did anyone see the first new episode of Who?

Wow, didn't think they'd be dropping that bomb so early in the season.

Catherine Tate has toned it down nicely from her Runaway Bride appearance.

Also, the season finale of Torchwood. I had a feeling something like that was going to happen, but 2? Damn.

You know that's going to pop up again throughout the season...it's going to be like "Bad Wolf" all over again, but less subtle.

Hello Who fans.
For any of you who aren't aware of recent developments, current Who producer Russell T Davies has announced his departure from the series and is to be replaced by fan-favourite writer Steven Moffat, plus the third series of Torchwood has been stripped back to just five episodes, which will be shown in the UK every day over one week early next year.

Moffat's eagerly anticipated two parter Silence In The Library and Forest Of The Dead concluded last night and IMO is the best story of the season so far, very spooky but also plenty of fun. Elegantly written, directed with real flair and played with conviction by a first rate cast. As always with Moffat's writing, the story was full of inspired concepts, intriguing twists, rich dialogue and intricate plotting. Its just so much more accomplished and imaginative than anything else we've been offered this season, if only it was this special every week :sigh:

Although next weeks trailer of Midnight looked interesting.

Moffat's eagerly anticipated two parter Silence In The Library and Forest Of The Dead concluded last night and IMO is the best story of the season so far, very spooky but also plenty of fun. Elegantly written, directed with real flair and played with conviction by a first rate cast. As always with Moffat's writing, the story was full of inspired concepts, intriguing twists, rich dialogue and intricate plotting. Its just so much more accomplished and imaginative than anything else we've been offered this season, if only it was this special every week :sigh:

Although next weeks trailer of Midnight looked interesting.

This two-parter was AMAZING. Midnight looks like a bit of a one-off, which is disappointing considering it seems like they have some big stuff in the works for the end of this season.

I loved the meta nature of this thing, and how he used something modern and geeky like the idea of "spoilers" to look deeper into the character of The Doctor and the people who travel with him. Also, the suggestion that we may have seen a future companion is something Who has never done before. Bravo to the producers for even going there.

Yeah Midnight is a one-off, but from what I've read its Russell T Davies' attempt at doing a Moffat by actively trying to write a story with plenty of scares and shocks. The preview's sound intriguing so I'm quite optimistic about it. This is followed by the almost Doctorless episode Turn Left which I think unofficially is the first part of a three part story which will conclude the season.

Yes I liked all that stuff about 'spoilers' too in Forest Of The Dead, plus that moment where Miss Evangelista pulled back her veil to reveal her distorted face was quite chilling and pretty powerful for a 7.00 on a Saturday night, bet it gave the kids a start, and I found the part where Donna's husband catches sight of her and attempts to call out her name but can't because of his stutter quite moving. Alex Kingston was great as River Song, you really did believe in her relationship with the Doctor, I really hope we see her again as she and Tennant had a tangible chemistry.

Agreed on everything, and I also loved the part where Moffat gave a shout-out to his own The Doctor Dances, when we hear from River Song's journal "everybody lives".

Plus, that threat to the Vashta Nerada: "I'm The Doctor. You're in the biggest library in the universe--look me up." BADASS.

Tonights episode Midnight was very good indeed, in fact I never expected it to be so good. Despite the whole thing being studio bound and only taking place in one room it was extremely compelling stuff, very unnerving at times and a great sense of hopelessness for the Doctor and his predicament. Being companionless, you really did get the feeling that no one was on his side and he was just as vulnerable as everybody else (during his final conversation with Donna you really can see just how much the whole experience has shook him). RTD's is so much better when he's dealing with small-scale events that concentrate on simple character interaction than he is when he tries to pull off great sci-fi epics. Not a classic but very, very good indeed and certainly the best story of the season after Silence in the Library and Forest Of The Dead.

So for anyone that wants to watch an amazing story - find the 2 parter for Silence in the Library and Forests of the Dead - and then watch it. If it were a movie it'd be better than 12 Monkeys - and I really fucking like 12 Monkeys.

Torchwood is having a session at Comic Con!! Too bad, I can't go!!!!

On the two parter for Doctor Who, IT WAS GREAT!! I was watching "Forest of the Dead" again this morning!!

Loved it!!

SPOILERS............................... Great line!

Just finished Torchwood Series 2. All I have to say is "1874 years"?! That's the kind of masochistic excess I've come to love on that show. :wink: I'm looking forward to Series 3, but I hear it is going to be abbreviated like Doctor Who will be in 2009. A pity. It's bad enough that British TV already has short 13 episode series/seasons!

But speaking of Doctor Who, those DVDs come out on November 18th. I can't wait!

Just to let all Who fan's on Interference know, David Tennant has announced he is to quit playing The Doctor at the end of 2009. He revealed this at the National Television Awards in London last night whilst collecting an award for the show. He'll be staying for all four specials next year but will not remain in the part when the Steven Moffat era begins in earnest in 2010. :) I wonder who'll be next?

Just to let all Who fan's on Interference know, David Tennant has announced he is to quit playing The Doctor at the end of 2009. He revealed this at the National Television Awards in London last night whilst collecting an award for the show. He'll be staying for all four specials next year but will not remain in the part when the Steven Moffat era begins in earnest in 2010. :) I wonder who'll be next?

Hurrah that David Tennant's leaving!

I watched quite a lot of episodes of the Christopher Eccleston series, and quite liked the programme, but couldn't bear the David Tennant series... I'm not a fan.
I swear there were rumours last time that they were considering Dawn French as the Doctor? ... That'd be different, anyway!

Eccleston was decent, but limited. Wasn't very funny, for one.

Tennant has every quality one would want in a Doctor, and blows him out of the water.

Shit, I just started catching up on Tennant's Doctor. I thought he was fucking great.
I've missed so many episodes, I can't comment much in detail but to say, I thought he was really good in the role. I liked Martha :drool: more than Rose, although it seems Rose was the Doc's choice.

I've never seen Torchwood. Does it air on BBC America or what?

I always preferred the old frizzy haired big nose guy from when I was a kid. Tom Baker.

DALEK!

In the original series, there wasn't much continuity. There was mythology, but not really any overarcing stories. You really could watch them in any order and enjoy them. Even the Key to Time season had stories that were just loosely tied together.

Now, you can still enjoy most of them, but there's a lot of stuff that probably makes casual viewers go "huh?", and I can only imagine how confusing the season finales are.

If you're going to hunt down any Ecclestion, the best and most essential ones are The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (two-parter), Father's Day, and the two-part finale, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways.

The first series of the new incarnation was the best writing wise (even though I prefer Tennant to Eccleston) The episodes Lazurus mentioned above are my favorite since its reincarnation. especially Bad wolf/parting of the ways

I think its declined a bit since then or keeps going over old ground, I liked Rose but I think they carried it a bit to far with here in the last series.. You sort of felt like Martha or Donna were always living in the shadow of Rose and the way they kept bringing Rose back confirmed it.

I still enjoyed it but I think unless it keeps moving forward it will stagnate like the old series and eventually die again.. So maybe the time is right to find a new doctor and a new companion and forget about Rose.

Tom Baker was cool doctor (and probably the ugliest one also:crazy:) The first one I remember watching was Jon Pertwee

I like Captain Jack in Doctor who but I hate Torchwood. Watched the first series then never watched it again.

Let them meet Red Dwarf, now that would be a good episode :D

Back
Top Bottom