Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #271
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:29 PM
As I understand it they are operating on a much reduced budget compared to the first Ecclestone season and the second with Tennant, and I believe there may have been a further reduction in the past year (just vaguely recalling what I remember reading). The actual show time has also been cut by 5-10 minutes or so as well I believe. The BBC has had to make some stringent cuts in the past few years and it has affected Who.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:29 AM
I stand corrected if all those things are true. A shame, I thought this show was supposed to be one of their big cash cows.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #273
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:29 PM
It is but what better way to run a cash cow than by reducing its cost to make and therefore increasing profits?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #274
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Granted it was a minor point but I framed it that way because the characters, in the story in question, are from well in the future. Now the future is unknowable, but it won't look or sound too much like (insert year of production here). In a weird kind of way I'd probably buy it more if they looked like monks. Just some token to place it outside the here-and-now.

My framing might seem weird but aesthetics are part of things too. You mentioned Star Wars. Alien, a film nearly as old as Star Wars (while somewhat dated in its own way) still just works. Their screens probably look a bit seventies too, but oddly I can't remember what they look like. That is my last word on that.

Actually some of the scripts have been atrocious, but I'm reserving that slam for the last year or two that RTD was in charge, and which I am most familiar with of the revived show. Waaaay too besotten with contemporary British pop culture as the be-all and end-all of human endeavour. Really, while something about it just threw me right out of the story four or five episodes into his first season, I can't and won't say that the Matt Smith era is awful or anything. Not familiar enough.

The first few years, Ecclestone, and the first two seasons with Tennant let's say, while far from flawless, I was pretty on board with a lot of that stuff.

"The kid with the gas mask" aka the Lost Child if I'm not mistaken. I agree, it was fantastic. Wasn't implying any different. Great story, absolutely chilling scenario, and, just incidentally wartime London looked about 100 times more believable than in a dalek story filmed four or five years later (bear in mind this isn't a low budget show anymore, and I'm not prepared to cut too much slack the way I might have done for ye olden days).

I agree with you that I grew really tired of RTD's humor, cultural references, and bloated series finales by the end of his tenure. But since there's a wider selection of writers, there's always some good stories even if the season as whole may seem disappointing. And even RTD came up with some good stuff along the way.

The final David Tennant season had the Moffat two-parter Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead, which (and I know I just said this about the other one) is up there with the all-time DW greats, and introduced mythology that we're still reeling from and exploring.

The Doctor's Daughter was another interesting episode, the Agatha Christie story was a fresh little homage (something we haven't seen since Peter Davison in The Black Orchid), and there were genuine thrills in Midnight.

And I really felt that Turn Left followed by parts of the finale gave us an effective, tragic conclusion to Donna's arc.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Yes, there were good points in some of those ones you mentioned. That season seemed to pick up with the Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead and I allowed myself to get optimistic, then he blew it with that finale that I couldn't even finish watching.

DAVROS (only he's there for no reason)
TOWING THE EARTH BACK TO THE SOLAR SYSTEM ON A CHAIN (Fuck you RTD!!)
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

3/4ths of a solid episode this week. I wish they had pushed a little harder to find a strong actual resolution, because "mysterious inert cubes" was a wonderful, low-SFX pretext to poke around with Amy and Rory for 45 minutes. The Ponds were written much better than they've been, too, and I really bought they could simply desire a less flashy life of paying the water bill and going to events with friends.

I don't think new-Who ever handled UNIT or bureaucracy well, so I put aside the irritation that the Super CEO was out on patrol investigating jibberish. Smart move, I think, to bring in Kate as the new Brigadier. Between her and Oswin, we're starting to see the skeleton of who the Doctor's friends will be post-Pond.

Speaking of which, if Rory and Amy are going to fall off a cliff or stub their toe or get tossed into a time vortex it DOES seem reasonable to haul out River Song next episode, loathe as I am to endure more of the exhaustion her presence signifies....
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

The cockiness of River Song can be a bit much, but bottom line is that the episodes she appears in are usually among the best this series has to offer.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't mind Alex Kingston's performance so much, but the problem, I think, is that River is also closely tied up with the "reverse lovers/parent" business that aggravated me in season 6. If she's a bit more Silence in the Library or Time of Angels-style Plucky Companion next week where she gets to do her own thing then I'll be ok, but having her be in the same episode as Amy and Rory does make me wary.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #280
Refugee

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Yeah, I agree. River's alright in small doses, but in her series 6 eps, there was way too much of her cockiness and her romance with the Doctor. In Amy and Rory's departing story, they should be the focus and she can just be there as a side companion to help out.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #281
Blue Crack Supplier

While River could certainly pop up again (especially in next year's 50th anniversary special), I imagine the departure of the Ponds will be an opportunity for Moffat to close the book on her part in the mythology as well.

Remind me: have we seen River's first sighting of the Doctor from her timeline yet?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Classic Moffat. That is, not Great Moffat, as Classic Moffat would have meant after The Eleventh Hour had aired, but now that we're two and a half seasons in, Classic Moffat means something a bit different now. All of his ambitious structure (I loved how the plot spiraled around and through the book), along with the maddening "clever" tricks that undermine the rules which caused drama in the first place.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier

Still not as bad as the Deus Ex Machina often utilized by Russell T. Davies.

What a send-off.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #284
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Colin Baker is a contestant on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here UK 2012. He's probably the most famous guy on there
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Thoughts on the new companion/Tardis interior?

I like the retro look for the tardis, not so sure about this new companion though...

Not a bad episode considering the Christmas specials tend to be hit and miss.

Tags
doctor who, torchwood