Doctor Who and Torchwood - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Catherine Tate is one of the finalists to take over for Steve Carrell on The Office. No joke. Wow.

Quote:
Of the five finalists, only two stand a realistic chance of taking over the gig full-time: Spader and Tate. Romano’s committed to Men of a Certain Age, Arnett just booked an NBC pilot, and Gervais has been there done that. Will Ferrell, meanwhile, wraps up his arc in mid-May, and — despite buzz to the contrary — is not expected back next season.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm going to prop up this thread, damn it! To further what the kids are calling "social interaction" these days, I'm going to respond to a post made 3 years ago:

Quote:
The two-parter Human Nature/Family of Blood was one of the best episodes ever.
I'll give the show and David Tennant credit for a pretty crackin' premise and finale. The one thing that got me, though, was that the design was TOO elegant: if Martha had the watch (or it was safely in the TARDIS) there would have been no episode. Instead, we watch the hand of the scriptwriter descend from the heavens and flick the watch another 40 minutes or so away from Martha via the kid stealing the watch.

Season 3 finale:

Wow, what a 3 car pile up. A damn shame, too, that so much potential was wasted. The neat part was in Utopia; first the wonderfully cool reaction of the Doctor to Jack Harkness' return peaking in the reactor core dialogue, and then the creeping dread as Martha starts piecing together the implications of the fob watch in the scientist's hand. (LOVED this) Alas, the show skimmed past what I thought was a pretty evocative concept- surviving in the entropic moroseness of an entire universe having spent itself dry. There's no one else out there, just you, the unending darkness above, and the wolves at the gate.

Harkness spends the next 90 minutes wandering around aimlessly.

Ugh, the Master. What a thanklessly hammy role he was given.

Dobby the Door Elf becomes Space Jesus through the magic of prayer. Did he have to levitate? Was that necessary?

At least with the benefit of foresight I can know RTD gets this out of his system now. He wrote a far superior take on this same premise in Children of Earth, and then dispelled the absurdity of The Sainted Doctor in the End of Time showdown- a delicious part of the appeal watching the Doctor wave his gun between the two targets was the sense of how ordinary and solitary an individual this Doctor of Man really was. Who was he to stand before the might of Gallifrey?

Family of Blood earned credit for its insightful parting question for the Doctor about the ridiculous body count that tends to follow one of his "happy endings". This was a good followup: "hooray, we've saved the day! We're just moments after they killed the President of the United States!".

Just a mess. Ok, on to season 4! Good luck, Martha! Neat girl.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier

God, you had to go and remind me about that overblown finale.

Consider how Moffat's finale last season was equally ambitious, but totally restrained and dignified by comparison. And, you know, actually moving because of those choices.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Season 3 finale:

Wow, what a 3 car pile up. A damn shame, too, that so much potential was wasted.
Seriously. It seemed that RTD struggled with execution in his last two season finales which is strange because End of Time and the two Torchwood finales (three if you include the final part of Children of Earth) were great.

So much of season 3 makes me cringe to be honest. I don't know what was worse, the three part season finale or the Daleks In Manhattan two parter. Season 4 was a huge improvement though. Unfortunately it ended with the absurd Journey's End. Blink, Midnight, Silence In The Library, Forest of The Dead and The Stolen Earth made up for it though.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Behold, clips:

YouTube - Doctor Who The Impossible Astronaut Preview Clip One
YouTube - Doctor Who The Impossible Astronaut Preview Clip Two

It took me a few watches to realize why the first clip bugged me: the geography is all wrong. Rory and Amy should have seen the Doctor on his car, and River walking up.

LOVE the Doctor's attitude in the second clip.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #141
Blue Crack Supplier

Sigh.

The Doctor Who News Page: Elisabeth Sladen 1948-2011
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The BBC America commercial breaks were appallingly distracting and ill timed, especially compared to the complete Netflix streams and S5 videos I had been watching. I think I'm going to torrent it next week.

So I don't know quite how that affected the narrative momentum. That's A), by the way. Mark Sheppard is going to narrate my dreams tonight.

B) First half of a two parter usually is a little wonky/busy (much less the season premiere), so this episode gets a pass as of now.

Not a normative judgment: I don't think that episode was what BBC America wanted, given the recent Stateside publicity push. Dense! It felt like Moffat was frantically hopping around, planting a dozen seeds. Looks a little messy now, but hopefully the end result justifies it.

The one real miscalculation was having Amy announce her pregnancy as part of the climactic beat.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The concept of The Silence works pretty well as an allegory for the human tendency for self-delusion (climate change? disaster prevention?), and River's monologue to Rory crystallized a surprisingly (for me) fresh take that what she's essentially dealing with is dementia/Alzheimers in the Doctor.

I hope they find a way to tie that in thematically to the rest of the season. Well, mostly the Silence. I'd be most disappointed if that ability just ended up being a weird quirk about them.

....edited to add that it appears memory is a common thread to both issues. Hmmm.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Commercial-less rewatch was a lot of fun because the pacing suddenly felt better. I've heard that the end of the next episode has a serious major-league WTF/mindfuck moment.

I wonder if The Silents have a Pregnancy Field/Auto Inseminator 6000. And if River and Rory's surprising silence (no "holy shit what is that" when seeing the creatures was confusing) is the silent part of the name.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

One of the Silents could have been the 3rd shooter in the JFK assassination.

And of course we know the 18 minute gap on the Nixon tapes (they keep showing the tape machine) was some ranting about the Silents.

or it could have just been the TARDIS incident?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

I still can't get over the idea that a black secret service agent was on Nixon's Oval Office staff.

Come on now.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

only in (BBC) America.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Holy crap. Holy crap. Hoooooooooooooooly moly.

So much! happened. I didn't mention this last week but The Silents didn't scare me that much. But Amy-In-The-Attic was amazing, and the difference was watching the "stitched together" version with the edited memories, not the slightly cheesy "oh.....what-was-I-looking-at? "master tape" from last episode. That was awesome. Also awesome? The ensemble drama flavor with Amy and Delaware doing their best X-Files impression.

Moffat made chopped liver of the script but somehow it hung together (LOVED using Nixon as the trump card). Wow.

Here's my take: the kid is River and the Doctor's, but Amy raised it. The pregnancy scare was a misdirection. They also need a better "regeneration" effect that doesn't make the target look like a scarecrow.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Post Hypnotic Suggestions

"Tell the Doctor what he must know, and what he must never know"
~Silent in the White House bathroom

That's what the Doctor was getting at with his questioning of Amy's pregnancy at the end.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Moffat made chopped liver of the script but somehow it hung together (LOVED using Nixon as the trump card).
I don't think it hung together. Too confusing and tonally all over the place. Compared to the first part this was a fucking mess.

What Moffat is doing in the long term looks interesting but as an individual story this kind of disappeared up its own asshole, which is completely different from last season's brilliant opener.

Tags
doctor who, torchwood