Dexter...The New Season.. - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #346
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:25 AM
The evidence could always turn up again next year.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #347
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Possible, but with LaGuerta's habit of trying to keep loose ends with her detectives under wraps, it would have to be outside of her involvement. She wants that case closed!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #348
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm looking forward to rewatching this season. I'm still not sure where I rank it for me, but it's up there with 1 and 4 I think. Every season of Dexter is so incredibly high as far as TV series go, so it's hard to rank any low. Most people rank season 3 low, and I tend to put it lower on my list as well, however Miguel's death scene is one of Dexter's finest I think. When Dexter says "I killed my brother, I killed yours too." Awesome. Anyway, Lumen was a great strong character, I think more so than most expected her to be. And the end was really sad to watch Dexter lose at love, again. I have to say I liked the simple and easy gimmick the writers used with the sheet hiding the killers from Deb. I mean she had caught them, no way out of it. And I knew there was no way Deb was going to not allow them this revenge. So throwing that up there between them was really a great touch. I didn't expect it so I loved it. I love that the show can still surprise me. Anyway, this season gets a big from me.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #349
Blue Crack Distributor

I just watched it, and I really enjoyed this season. It's up there for me right along with seasons 1 and 4. Season 1 was novel and exciting, with tension and unusual plots twists. Season 2, I hated the whole NA storyline, and Lila nearly made that season unwatchable for me, ugh. I could not understand Dexter's motivation for getting involved with her at all, it rang completely false to me. Season 3 was just as bad or worse. They want me to buy that after what happened in season 2 with Lila and all the crap she caused for him, that Dexter would trust another person enough to get close to him, let him in on his secret, and kill with him, all so he could have a serial killer bff?? I completely understood his wanting to examine and learn from Trinity before he killed him in season 4 (plus - John Lithgow! Best. Villain. Ever.), and I also got his need to help Lumen this season, and ultimately fall for her. It made sense for him to do that. For me at least, this show is either spot on, or it misses by a mile. Fortunately, even when it misses, there are enough b-plots and characters I like to keep me coming back, anyway.

I was surprised that I liked Lumen and the plot developments with her this season. I generally find Julia Stiles quite wooden as an actress, but I thought she was really believable in this role. I was sad to see her go at the end, although I wasn't surprised. It fascinated me to see Dexter being all shmoopy and in love. I wish those crazy kids could have made it work. Another strength of this season was that they stepped out of the typical pattern of having Dexter seek out his "victims," and instead he was killing for someone else. I found that was a nice change, and it broke up the usual routine, procedural feel of the show.

Regarding Deb and the whole "does she know" thing, I think she does. It wasn't till the scene at Harrison's birthday party that I thought that. I've watched that scene over several times since, and I don't know how else we're supposed to interpret it. Dexter and Deb are talking about Quinn. Dexter says he wants her to be happy, then Deb says: "I am. I'm happy. You must be, too. Now that this is all over, I mean." Then she gives him an enigmatic smile, and walks away. Why would Dexter be happy because this is all over? What does she mean by this? Assuming Deb doesn't know, why would she think that Dexter is any happier about this case being over than any other case they've solved in the past? The only other thing I can think of that this could be is Rita's death/Dexter's mourning period, but I don't think so, because that's a really odd thing to say to someone, and an odd way to phrase it. Besides, we've seen no indication from Deb's perspective that Dexter is "over" Rita's death. The only thing she could be talking about is the barrel girl case, and like I said, it makes no sense that the conclusion of that case would make Dexter happy - unless she knew of his involvement. In that context, it makes perfect sense.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #350
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm still not sure I buy that she could have such a seemingly normal conversation and act so normal around him if she thought he'd just been out killing at least one guy, if not the whole gang (as the one helping Lumen).
Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #351
Blue Crack Distributor

I would have thought there'd be a huge emotional response from her too, but I think what they've been aiming to show us all season is that Deb has been coming to understand that not everything is black and white, and that sometimes shades of gray enter into things. Along the way, there have also been lines that indicate her feelings about vigilante killing, in this case, at least. The scene in particular that's coming to mind right now is from an episode or two ago, where she was expressing what almost seemed like envy, when she was talking to Dexter about how the male partner of the 13th victim must be deeply in love with the victim, and how she wished that she could have a bond like that with someone. In fact, that line was so blatant, it was almost clunky. In this episode, there was also the scene where she went to Quinn's cell and said she was with him no matter what. The Deb of previous seasons never would have done that. Couple those changes along with the horror she showed at watching the videos of the victims. I can see how, given time to really think about it, she could (and in my opinion, did) come to accept and believe that those men got what they deserved, and that the victim and her partner were almost owed the justice they meted out.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #352
Blue Crack Distributor

True, good point.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #353
Blue Crack Distributor

I could be totally wrong, too. I never imagined that they'd do a "Deb knows" plotline this season, I've always thought it would be left till near the end of the series. It was that one scene of them talking at the birthday party that made me think she knows. Like I said above, after seeing it several times, I don't know how else to interpret it.

If that is what they intended with it, I think it was a clever move. She knows he was involved in these killings, but doesn't know the entire story yet, so there's still all that for her to learn before the end of the series.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #354
Refugee

Local Time: 06:25 AM
wow! what an ending!

who would have known that jennifer carpenter was michael c hall's wife in real life?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #355
Blue Crack Distributor

Or not ...

'Dexter' stars Michael C. Hall, Jennifer Carpenter file for divorce (EW exclusive) | News Briefs | EW.com

Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #356
Blue Crack Distributor

Nooooo!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #357
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

If that is what they intended with it, I think it was a clever move. She knows he was involved in these killings, but doesn't know the entire story yet, so there's still all that for her to learn before the end of the series.
Well this is just it, there's a good few episodes if not a half season of material there, if so!

Liked the rest of your review also, it's true we saw a side of Dexter he didn't even show with Rita. Speaking of which, I can't see Deb intending "this is over" to be in reference to Rita's death...firstly, how could she ever say that to someone about their loved one's death, and secondly, would she say that on the first birthday of Rita's son? Gonna go with "not!!"

I think I liked the Trinity storyline very much, but if I'm honest it was mainly because of the strength of Lithgow as an actor, but I'm not so sure the story itself would have been as good without specifically him as the bad guy. Stiles is relatively unknown to me (shrug) so really her character took some amount of convincing of me, and she pulled it off well. I sortof felt that the story this season was stronger, and any superstar quotient to the casting was secondary (as opposed to when Lithgow was in it). If that makes any sense at all!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #358
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

UGH noooo!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #359
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 PM
damn it!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #360
Refugee

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
Yeah they definitely left that to be the big does she or doesn't she? But it's also been very apparent from day one that Deb is SMART! Everyone there knows she's probably one of the smartest detectives there. It's almost like it would be asking a lot for us to believe she couldn't figure this one out.

Also, there is:

"I don't know, maybe Deb has a blind spot when it comes to me."
I think she does, they'll probably reveal she called in the wreck of the car stolen from the Liddy crime scene at the jordan camp and she pieced it together from there.

Just my 2c

Tags
dexter