Dexter Season 8 - Monstrous? Or a Masterpiece?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last few seasons haven't been the best, but the first five were great. I still miss Rita. I can't stand Hannah. As sick as this sounds, I'm hoping she dies. Plus, I want Dr. Vogul to die too. Kill 'em all! Except all of the fine folks at Miami Metro.

lol. I did like the twist at the end. Just dont see how they can wrap everything up and tie everything together in only 3 more episodes.

Honestly, I'll always say that Dexter was a good TV show with some solidly good seasons and 2 stellar ones. And I will always be glad to enjoy and discuss the good ones. :D I just don't like to dwell long on the bad ones. They did disappoint on the big picture entire story IMO, but whatever. I appreciate the great stuff we did get. (And I am still watching, it's not over yet so I'm happy to see anything tied up.)

The biggest aggravation for me is how quickly they tossed away the DEB KNOWS storyline. They really could have done something with that, but instead she freaks out for a few episodes, talks with a shrink, and now she's fine and is totally cool with everything, including the fact that she fucking killed two people.

But no, let's do away with that and focus on yet another random killer.

I don't have any faith that they're going to return to that storyline in the last two eps.

I agree Cori.

It is like last season, I believe, where he stopped talking to his father/conscious and started talking to his brother/dark pasenger.

I thought they could have gone a whole season in a more darker and interesting territory but it only lasted one episode :down:

Yeah this season did not need any of this weak new killer at all. And Masukas daughter? And giving equal screen time to Batistas sister? :huh: Should have focused on the characters we already had, instead they are completely useless. Such wasted potential. Oh well!

lem and deb both deserve to die for that horrible display of law enforcementing

i can't wait until monday

So Dexter's original show runner (responsible for seasons 1-4) has posted a Q&A session on Reddit and basically he feels the same disappointment as everyone else in the show's sad demise. Very interesting read here. He even says once it's over he'll post his idea of what we would have got had he stayed with it to the end.

I am Clyde Phillips showrunner of Dexter and Nurse Jackie. I also write mystery novels. New one out last week called 'Unthinkable'. Amazing reviews. Ask me anything! : IAmA

Finale got an F on AV Club. I doubt I'll ever get around to watching it. I gave up about 1/3 into this season.

Eight seasons, and he just kills Saxon in front of the cameras after so many years of trying to avoid being caught and he just sort of shrugs and says "cause of what he did to Deb" to Quinn and Angel and they barely bat an eye.

What a piece of crap.

So Dexter's original show runner (responsible for seasons 1-4) has posted a Q&A session on Reddit and basically he feels the same disappointment as everyone else in the show's sad demise. Very interesting read here. He even says once it's over he'll post his idea of what we would have got had he stayed with it to the end.

I am Clyde Phillips showrunner of Dexter and Nurse Jackie. I also write mystery novels. New one out last week called 'Unthinkable'. Amazing reviews. Ask me anything! : IAmA

If you are able to pull what he had in mind for the finale and post it here, that would be awesome. I get so lost and overwhelmed when I visit reddit

I'm not even sure about what I even want to say about last night

RIP Deb. Seriously. :sad:

I thought Saxon's end was brilliantly played, probably the only good thing about the entire episode. Angel and Quinn didn't "barely bat an eye", what? Quinn was fucking glad as hell and it makes complete sense that Miami Metro's #1 forensic analyst would want to make sure that the GSR test was done properly. He's been the analyst on every case we've seen, why would he want to leave that to someone else for his own sister? And Angel's reaction is perfect. No matter whether he thinks Dexter shouldn't have been there in the first place, no matter how calmly/expertly it looks Dexter killed him, he too is fucking elated (albeit, conflictedly so) that there's one less asshole that might get off on some stupid technicality or something.

Like I said, probably the only good thing about the episode. Dexter makes his final kill in plain sight. Love it.

My biggest issue of the last few episodes, this one especially, is the trust he puts in Hannah when it comes to Harrison. Fucking ridiculously unbelievable, sorry.

I wish Deb had lived. It was hard to watch the poignant end to what is probably the biggest part of the story all series for me. I really liked her character. :|

Five episodes ago, he was all "You almost made Harrison an orphan!" And now he's ditched his kid with a serial killer. And hey, let's just assume the serial killer is totally fine with being a single mom in a foreign country. Well done.

And Deb? Yeah, no one noticed him wheeling her away. And lifting her sheet-covered body into his boat. And it's not like anyone else is going to care that she died, right? Although I guess since everyone else at the precinct is so stupid they won't be that bothered that Deb just disappeared from the hospital.

I MEAN JESUS CHRIST.

Harrison actually made out pretty good. He ended up with Hannah and got ice cream

Phillips' ending doesn't really do it for me. I was hoping his version would have gone into a bit more detail.

^ Yeah, not impressed with his version either.

Probably the biggest issue is the turning up as a lumberjack somewhere else. It just leaves the entire thing hanging, and isn't this supposed to be the series finale?

I mean, ffs, Deb sure got finale'd, huh? I guess that's why I'm resentful of this ending: Deb dies, Dexter lives? The fuck outta here.

I didn't expect Dexter to ever get 'caught', or for them to ever even show him being outed to Miami Metro and everyone being all surprised that it was him all along. I knew he wasn't going to jail, ever. But I certainly didn't expect him to survive it all, either.

:lmao:

So this thing wraps up with Dexter is a deadbeat-dad LUMBERJACK?

Nice! :up:

chuckhappy.gif~original

Man, it was predictable that the finale was going to be bad, but it's almost shocking how bad it actually was. Clyde Phillips' proposed ending doesn't sound too great to me either, but at least it would actually fit with the (original) narrative of the show. :crack: I feel so bad for Deb. The writers must have hated her or something. Last couple seasons were one potshot after another at her character and the finale was just the icing on the cake.

With the way that the series ended, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a Dexter movie some time in the future. Sure there were a lot of far fetched scenes in the finale, but with Dexter, the viewer always needed a good suspension of disbelief. I don't think leaving Harrison with Hannah was so awful. Aside from the treadmill incident, she did a decent job of taking care of him. It's not like Dexter was the greatest parent. He was lucky to have Jamie as a nanny.

Back
Top Bottom