"Dark Shadows" - the movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungBono

Refugee
* Disclaimer *
As of today, I haven't seen the movie yet.....and my opinion is based on my initial reaction to the trailer.

++

Who among us remembers the thrill of racing home each day to watch one of our favorite shows - Dark Shadows?
At 6 years old I had a huge crush on Barnabas Collins (played by the late great Jonathan Frid) and this show was an integral part of my childhood.

When I heard that Johnny Depp had bought the rights to make a movie in 2007 I was THRILLED. I loved his work in Sleepy Hollow and I knew that he would do justice to the role of Barnabas.

Needless to say, I have been following the progress of the filming of the movie and was counting the days till its release. I couldn't WAIT to see one of my favorite actors playing one of my favorite characters. In addition, I learned that four original cast members would be making cameo appearances (Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, Katherine Leigh-Scott and David Selby).

The big day came.........and then I saw THIS........

Dark Shadows Trailer 2012 HD Johnny Depp - YouTube

Imagine my shock when I saw what Tim Burton had done to the show that millions of us loved. He turned a classic TV show into another version of "Beetlejuice" and made a total mockery of a show that was filled with suspense. To say I was disappointed would be the understatement of the millenium.

To make matters worse, Jonathan Frid passed away a short time after filming (probably from a broken heart....).

Anyway, I'm glad that at least I have my memories of the show (which no one can take away from me), but I am sorry that the generation who doesn't know DS gets introduced to it in this poor fashion.

Who here has seen it and what do you think?

I posted this in the random movie thread last month after Jonathan Frid passed:

Jonathan Frid the actor who played Barnabas Collins on TV passed away, any truth to the rumors that the cause of death was viewing the trailer of what the lethal combination of Burton/Depp did to Dark Shadows?

Depp/Burton/Bonham Carter should be banned from working together ever again after such unwatchable drivel as Sweeney Todd, Alice in Wonderland and presumably this take on Dark Shadows (I haven't seen it and don't plan to).
Burton should have retired after Ed Wood, he'd have been remembered as a very good film maker, now he just releases crap, always casting his wife who certainly earned the roles in the bedroom not by auditioning and Depp who has also tarnished a very memorable career by his recent work.

I saw the movie. I love Johnny Depp but it's definitely time for him to break up with Tim Burton. And possibly hire an advisor with help in choosing movie roles.

If it was like Beetlejuice it also got all Twilight in the end. Possibly even more ridiculous than Twilight. It was supposed to be camp and Twilight isn't supposed to be, that's the only difference. It was second to Avengers in the first weekend, it must have tanked since then.

I'm with you, AchtungBono. I was so excited to hear there was to be a movie made of Dark Shadows. I have such fond memories of watching the dark soap after school! I Was excited hearing Johnny Depp had been cast in the movie. I guess I didn't pay closer attention during the filming of the film, but I admit I was horrified at what I feel to be a joke made of the original series. Burton really messed with it and it was much too much like Beetlejuice and a mixture of his other dark twisty movies. I agree wishing Depp would break out and take other juicier roles. I was all excited to go see this movie in the theatre on its release, which I don't do very often, but I'm not even going to bother.

Now I'm wondering whether I'm as interested in seeing Rock of Ages now that the filming hype is replaced with not so exciting film trailers. :hmm:

Is it possible to turn a show into a joke when microphone booms were regularly seen hanging down into frame and crew members continually walked into the shot? We're not talking about Citizen Kane here

I thought the movie looked fun based on the trailers, but the TV show was before my time, so I'm not having the "they ruined it!!!" reaction.

And that's really saying something, coming from me. :wink:

Edit:

OH GOD DAMN IT. I wasted my 50,000th post in this thread?

This is the worst thing ever.

Back
Top Bottom