Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with peef. Basketball all day on Thursday. And then I'm goin to a concert on Friday, and St. Patrick's Day on Saturday, which means 72 consecutive hours of drinking, which means I probably won't hit up the new Community episode on Hulu until sometime Sunday afternoon.

This is definitely not the darkest timeline:

Community Reruns Will Air on Comedy Central -- Vulture

Comedy Central announced today that they'll air Community in syndication starting in 2013. This doesn't affect a fourth-season pick-up one way or the other, but a girl can dream. Between this and the news that Veronica Mars reruns will be airing on SOAP Net, this week is all about creating the perfect opportunities for civilians to finally start watching those shows you've been talking about for forever. Let's all look forward to the many conversations we'll have a year or so from now that start with, "Hey, you know what I just got into? Community!"

That's great. Hopefully it will only get bigger in syndication.

There's four of us in the office who watch Community, though they're behind because they don't know about sidereel.

I was wondering if the show would pop up on that channel at some point! Very cool-good move, Comedy Central.

Given the geeky nature of the show, I'm gonna go out on a limb & say most Community fans aren't diehard sports fans.

I'm definitely not. More power to all you sports fans, enjoy and have fun. It's just not my thing.

To be fair, I'm almost grateful for the hiatus. I really didn't know such a cult following existed outside of this thread and the two (out of 130 or so) coworkers who complimented my Troy & Abed in the Morning coffee mug.

That's two more people than I know who acknowledge the show. Every time I bring up "Community" to anyone I know in town I get a quizzical look :(.

Some days I think moving to a bigger city would be a really good thing to do.

Fortunately I converted all three of my best friends to superfans so I'm in good company now. Plus, watching new episodes is so much more fun with an equally obsessed group.

It was an alright episode which I'm sure the uber-nerds will call "the best thing ever!!!! OMG!!!!"

Far too many lines fell flat and none of the stories really had any momentum. Love Community, but like other comedies, I just care about how funny the show is...the alternate timelines episode, for example, really isn't all that hilarious as there's a lot of set-up and little in the way of actual jokes. Yet it's raved about simply because it's a neat concept. Same goes for the bottle episode or the claymation Christmas, etc. Not trying to be a naysayer or anything as I easily slot this in my top five comedies currently on television, just saying that the over enthusiasm of this show's fan base is just testing my patience a bit.

Best joke for me was, "her mom was a Shirelle" :lol:

See, as I said, I liked all the episodes you mentioned. Yeah, I liked the concepts (although at first I didn't realize the "bottle" episode was a concept, 'cause I didn't know what a "bottle" episode was to begin with :p), but I also liked them because I think they did a great job of showing how well these guys work together, their friendships. And that's the biggest reason I watch this show, because whether it's conceptual humor or just everyday goofiness, I like the interaction between everyone and how they deal with whatever's going on around them. But yeah, what with it being branded a "comedy" it would make sense to expect episodes that are straightforward funny.

So yeah, on the funny front it wasn't the best episode in that regard. Though Britta in particular was making me laugh quite a lot-I liked her bit about talking with her teacher and being "under the legal age" when she was talking about dreams and such. And her lines during her argument with Jeff were hilarious. And for some reason Pierce trying to work the ice cream machine at the end really cracked me up.

I also liked watching Troy and Abed try to be normal. But I definitely had a big smile on my face at the end when they agreed to go back to being their old selves-not surprising they'd go back to their old ways, no, but it's just sweet all the same.

*Shallow moment: And WOW, do they look good in suits./Endshallowmoment*

I kinda thought the whole Shirley/Andre thing was a bit haphazard-he got really upset with her all of a sudden and then they were all cool by the end, it seemed rushed and...out of sorts, or something. But I am curious to see how things go with them being married from here on out.

Also, the "glimpse" into Jeff's heart. That was cute.

Those damn blogons.

I'm so glad this show is back. That ep won't go down as one of my favourites but it was still great. Pierce was good - I'm a softie at heart so I'm hoping to see more of drowning-twice-in-the-parking-lot-Pierce than Dungeons-and-Dragons-Pierce - and the tag was funny.

I thought funniest line of the night went to Britta. "Pick a number, dick, like it's up to me." It was in the trailer but geez does she do drunk acting well. I've never understood why people don't like her. All the feminist stuff has been hilarious, to me. Plus she's hot.

The ending, with Andre and Shirley arguing and then making up almost instantaneously was very unlike Community, that all happened very quick.

There were four Community-related things trending on twitter when this episode aired. One of them was "Jim Belushi"... I didn't get that joke.

One of them was "Jim Belushi"... I didn't get that joke.

It was a really funny line about something useless getting used over and over and you don't know why, just like Jim Belushi getting roles in anything.

What made the joke great was that they referenced Belushi first before explaining whereas a lazier sitcom would just attach Jim Belushi to the end of it.

It actually beat out "Idol"?!?! :shocked:

That actually makes me really happy.

I thought funniest line of the night went to Britta. "Pick a number, dick, like it's up to me." It was in the trailer but geez does she do drunk acting well. I've never understood why people don't like her. All the feminist stuff has been hilarious, to me. Plus she's hot.

Loved that line, too. The way she said it so bluntly was great.

Funny, when the show very first started I wasn't sure about her character, but I've come to really like her over time. Her heart's in the right place with all her protest/feminism stuff, and she's honest and says what she thinks, even if she winds up "Britta"ing something in the process. I admire that. Maybe 'cause I can alternately relate to some of her traits and wish I could be more like her in other ways. There's things I love about all the characters on the show.

No, that title is misleading. American Idol had a 4.5 in the demographic compared to Community's 2.2 number. Still, that number for Community is higher than any other rating it has received this season. Lo and behold, there was no Big Bang Theory airing last night at all. It's fundamentally clear to everyone now that the timeslot is cursed because so many idiots are choosing to watch that show live instead of Community or 30 Rock.

This show is pretty much a lock for renewal now. Last night's number makes it so obvious what it's capable of doing and a 2.2 in the 18-49 demographic is far, far ahead of NBC's average right now which is like a 1.4.

Heh, it is worded strangely, yeah. But it did do quite well, so hooray for that!

I do watch "Idol", but I was more than happy to miss the first half of the show to see "Community" instead, it wasn't a debate at all. Like I said before, it's the results episode, so unless there's some artist performing on there I like or something, I really don't need to see anything other than the last 5 minutes of it anyway.

You know what I don't get... why the hell don't they make it more readily available online? Like there would be so many people who don't live in the US, or Canada, or South American countries where/if it's shown, who are watching it. Take me, for example. I live in Australia, watch it every week, but because I live here, I can't watch it on nbc.com, iTunes or hulu, so I watch it on an illegal stream via sidereel. That's not helping matters at all. Is there something that prevents networks from making the content available outside their country? Because surely the numbers would go up even more if it was legally available on the internet.

Networks/studios sell the exclusive rights to their shows to various other networks. So, whatever channel purchases Community to air it in Australia has the rights to it which is why you can't access the streams meant for Americans. It would be up to the Australian channel to offer a streaming option, but that's only if Sony, for example, wanted them to be able to do that. Plus, they could always charge more for a network to allow such an option.

But yeah, basically, you're prohibited because the American shows air a lot later in your country (nobody would watch much American television in Australia if they could legally be six episodes ahead via the internet) and because your local networks have the exclusive rights to air it.

It's one of the primary channels' secondary channels who airs it hear, and unfortunately the pricks air it with incredible inconsistency and a long way behind the US.

Watched the episode twice now, will likely watch it again later on.

So good, and worth the wait. (I say that of course because we don't have to wait any more)

"Did someone say 'Annie. Help. Wedding.?'"

It was an alright episode which I'm sure the uber-nerds will call "the best thing ever!!!! OMG!!!!"

Far too many lines fell flat and none of the stories really had any momentum. Love Community, but like other comedies, I just care about how funny the show is...the alternate timelines episode, for example, really isn't all that hilarious as there's a lot of set-up and little in the way of actual jokes. Yet it's raved about simply because it's a neat concept. Same goes for the bottle episode or the claymation Christmas, etc. Not trying to be a naysayer or anything as I easily slot this in my top five comedies currently on television, just saying that the over enthusiasm of this show's fan base is just testing my patience a bit.

Then just watch it & don't read the over enthusiastic fan reviews. Why let other people's interpretations have any effect on you?

I will nitpick some of what you said though, not the very idea of criticizing Community, just this specific instance. The alternate timeline episode is raved about for more than just the concept, it is hilarious from start to finish to me & a lot of people I know, & it closes with some pretty good emotional weight to boot. It's fine if you didn't laugh your ass off but I did. The claymation episode is fairly funny throughout but is probably the most emotional comedy episode of any show in recent memory, and sometimes the show would rather care about the characters than being joke a minute.

Ah. I was thinking of John. Still, I've only seen him in According to Jim. Must be funnier in America.

No, it's not. That was the joke!

Also, re: Britta, she's definitely not my favorite character, though I do love them all, but she absolutely stole this episode.

"You may not know this about me, but I come from a long line of wives & mothers"

"I'm gonna be with someone for ever!"

"What's with you?" / (crazy drunk creepy voice) "THIS IS WHO I AM"

& Jeff's daddy issues coming to a head was hilarious, & touching.

No, that title is misleading. American Idol had a 4.5 in the demographic compared to Community's 2.2 number. Still, that number for Community is higher than any other rating it has received this season. Lo and behold, there was no Big Bang Theory airing last night at all. It's fundamentally clear to everyone now that the timeslot is cursed because so many idiots are choosing to watch that show live instead of Community or 30 Rock.

I used to watch "Big Bang Theory" live and "Community" via On Demand because "Big Bang Theory" wasn't available on On Demand. People in other regions or with other cable/satellite systems might make that choice for the same reason. NBC makes it really easy to watch its shows whenever, wherever and other networks don't. Convenient for us but bad for ratings.

Finally got around to it. Loved it. Nice to have our old friends back. I had to smile just hearing that familiar guitar part at the top of the cold open.

Let's crabwalk home.

They hung a lot of good jokes on a pretty generic Christmas tree this week. Didn't buy the Andre drama at all.

I think I'm the one that keeps mentioning this, but it felt like there was a good moment between Shirley and Pierce as he helped her with her public speaking in early Season 1. Business wise I liked the idea of him having *some* superficial interpersonal competence, instead of going with the hapless idiot route it went for here.

But at least bringing up her business plans again gives Shirley some character direction beyond being a uterus.

BigMacPhisto's right upthread, Season 4 is a near mortal lock at this point. Hope Jeff's immovable dinner reservation gets brought up in a year!

Back
Top Bottom