Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,043
Local Time: 07:56 PM
After all the hubbub on the interwebs, upcoming episodes absolutely tanking can't be that likely.
__________________

__________________
Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #47
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 07:56 PM
yep, i never understand why stations can't understand why they can't compete with some (comparatively) powerhouse of a show. it's like when fox stuck the last four arrested development episodes in one two-hour block against the opening of the olympics. i mean yeah by that point fox was already done with the show but still, come on.

not the best example, but it's the best i can think of at the moment. but yeah.
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #48
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 12:56 PM
So the only question that remains is, how moronically stupid are the people running the TV stations? (I can ask that now, since New South Wales is on hiatus)
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Highly, moronically stupid.

And it affects all the networks, as you say-on ABC, that show "Work It" you mentioned a while back already got pulled after two episodes. They put all that effort into creating a total ripoff show that nobody approved of to begin with that only wound up lasting two episodes. I hear about complete wastes of time and money like that and I want to tell the networks to shut the hell up the next time they complain about financial struggles.

But in regards to NBC, I'd highly recommend the book "The War For Late Night" by Bill Carter if you can find it, cobl. That pretty much will answer everything you want to know about that channel's executives' mind-numbing idiocy. When my mom found out "Community' was on that channel she said, "They went to NBC with that show?! That's brave." How eerily prophetic she was.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #50
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 12:56 PM
Cool, I might check that out, got a lot of spare time at ze moment
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Good. One thing I'd suggest, though-get a pen/pencil and paper, 'cause you're going to need to keep track of an awful lot of names and it can get a bit confusing at times.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #52
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Highly, moronically stupid.

And it affects all the networks, as you say-on ABC, that show "Work It" you mentioned a while back already got pulled after two episodes. They put all that effort into creating a total ripoff show that nobody approved of to begin with that only wound up lasting two episodes. I hear about complete wastes of time and money like that and I want to tell the networks to shut the hell up the next time they complain about financial struggles.

But in regards to NBC, I'd highly recommend the book "The War For Late Night" by Bill Carter if you can find it, cobl. That pretty much will answer everything you want to know about that channel's executives' mind-numbing idiocy. When my mom found out "Community' was on that channel she said, "They went to NBC with that show?! That's brave." How eerily prophetic she was.
god, i had never heard of work it. when you get that many bad reviews - truly scathing ones, then you need to just say never mind, let's not air this crap. according to wikipedia (there's no source though), ign gave out its first zero for the pilot. that's bad. and you're right, they'll waste time and money on shit like that, but then whine about not having money.

hell, network tv as a whole is largely fucked. daytime tv (yeah i watch a soap, wanna fight about it) is like that too. half the soaps that existed five years ago have been cancelled, including ones that existed before even my parents were born, before tv even existed. i only watch one, but the writing's become so awful and has taken on so many actors from other cancelled soaps that it can no longer afford to keep one of their most popular actors on year-round, because they refused to take a pay cut. it's all so nuts.

hmm, i'm going to have to give that book a read. i never read the late shift, but i saw the movie back in the day. that was interesting then, and my how things have changed since.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Speaking of soaps, the one I watched just ended its 43 year run this past Friday.
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #54
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 12:56 PM
Yvette is so awesome, she replied to my tweet
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Whoa, really? Cool! What'd she say?

I've held out on getting a Twitter account, but man, stuff like that makes me really want to rethink that idea.

Aw, Lila, you can come and mourn alongside my mom. Different soap in my mom's case ("All My Children"), but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
god, i had never heard of work it. when you get that many bad reviews - truly scathing ones, then you need to just say never mind, let's not air this crap. according to wikipedia (there's no source though), ign gave out its first zero for the pilot. that's bad. and you're right, they'll waste time and money on shit like that, but then whine about not having money.
Exactly. There's no sense to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
hell, network tv as a whole is largely fucked. daytime tv (yeah i watch a soap, wanna fight about it) is like that too. half the soaps that existed five years ago have been cancelled, including ones that existed before even my parents were born, before tv even existed. i only watch one, but the writing's become so awful and has taken on so many actors from other cancelled soaps that it can no longer afford to keep one of their most popular actors on year-round, because they refused to take a pay cut. it's all so nuts.
Ha, to add to the crazy, the cast of "All My Children" DID take a pay cut, because ABC moved the show to California to "cut costs". Meanwhile, a good portion of the cast did not live in California, but rather over on the east coast, in places like New York and such, and had to fly back and forth a lot. And there were still a few that couldn't do that, let alone wouldn't, so they either left the show or came on every great once in a while (which, if you love the character, is irritating, to only see them sporadically).

But even though the cast bent over backwards to make all their concessions to help keep that show financially afloat, they still couldn't do enough, and "All My Children" got replaced with yet another in the endless stream of daytiime talk shows about cooking and "bettering your life" and crap like that, so now in place of "AMC" we have "The Chew", whose ratings aren't that hot, but for some reason, the channel's gonna keep that one going and leave loyal fans of a long-running show annoyed.

I mean, obviously a show can't last forever, that's not the problem. It's the fact that a show isn't ending not because it's simply its time, but because of stupid decisions on the part of the networks to get rid of certain shows and put crap ones on because they're "cheaper" or whatever. If there's a good reason to end a show, fine. But if there's not, it's frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
hmm, i'm going to have to give that book a read. i never read the late shift, but i saw the movie back in the day. that was interesting then, and my how things have changed since.
The hilarious part of the whole thing is how NBC heads state, over and over and over again, how they are absolutely, positively determined NOT to repeat the Letterman/Leno issue...only to then turn around and make the exact same mistake, just with Conan/Leno instead.

None of that fiasco thankfully affected my favorite late night hosts, but it still affected a lot of people well beyond Leno and Conan.

The whole thing's just crazy. And yet people who work in TV still can't understand why everyone's turning to internet and DVR and DVDs and such.

On a significantly lighter note, I just finished the second night of going through and watching the entire first season of this show again. Good way to kill a few hours late at night. I'm surprised I haven't woke my mom, 'cause there's moments I'm seriously just busting out laughing.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #56
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 12:56 PM
Oh she replies to nearly everyone, so nothing special. just said I was a fan from Australia, and asked what I can do to help. She said "Truly don't know. But iTunes and DVD sales couldn't hurt the cause. "
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dsmith2904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Just keep me where the light is
Posts: 12,290
Local Time: 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
We've got tickets, too. Party
I got Orchestra tickets for "Community" and "New Girl." I joined the Paley Center just to be sure I got tickets.
__________________
dsmith2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 06:56 PM
We went for the $35 seats (+ fees) which is Rows F-S, still downstairs. Not a fan of Zooey. If anything else, I would have gone for Modern Family, but it was a weeknight, and just didn't have the money for multiple panels.
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #59
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Ha, to add to the crazy, the cast of "All My Children" DID take a pay cut, because ABC moved the show to California to "cut costs". Meanwhile, a good portion of the cast did not live in California, but rather over on the east coast, in places like New York and such, and had to fly back and forth a lot. And there were still a few that couldn't do that, let alone wouldn't, so they either left the show or came on every great once in a while (which, if you love the character, is irritating, to only see them sporadically).

But even though the cast bent over backwards to make all their concessions to help keep that show financially afloat, they still couldn't do enough, and "All My Children" got replaced with yet another in the endless stream of daytiime talk shows about cooking and "bettering your life" and crap like that, so now in place of "AMC" we have "The Chew", whose ratings aren't that hot, but for some reason, the channel's gonna keep that one going and leave loyal fans of a long-running show annoyed.

I mean, obviously a show can't last forever, that's not the problem. It's the fact that a show isn't ending not because it's simply its time, but because of stupid decisions on the part of the networks to get rid of certain shows and put crap ones on because they're "cheaper" or whatever. If there's a good reason to end a show, fine. But if there's not, it's frustrating.
oh wow, that's ridiculous. the only soap i've ever really watched is y&r since like, god i think since like 1996 or something. i've sporadically watched others a little that my mom's watched over the years in addition to that one if i've been in the room when they've been on too, but yeah.

and god, don't get me started on these replacements. cbs replaced their cancelled soaps with game shows, abc replaced theirs with lame talk shows. let's also not forget one is a carbon copy of the view (i'm surprised they didn't be even more obvious and pick a synonym of the word view), the other is a foodie version with a name that freaking rhymes with view. i don't even like the view, but come on. show some originality. but yeah, these lame shows are of course cheaper to produce, even if they pull less viewers i guess.

it just ticks me off when a show like guiding light, which had been on since the days of radio, gets cancelled simply because the network decides it's cheaper to revive an old game show. it's not like it has to stay on forever just because of its history, but to cancel it just because you found something cheaper to put in its place is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
The hilarious part of the whole thing is how NBC heads state, over and over and over again, how they are absolutely, positively determined NOT to repeat the Letterman/Leno issue...only to then turn around and make the exact same mistake, just with Conan/Leno instead.

None of that fiasco thankfully affected my favorite late night hosts, but it still affected a lot of people well beyond Leno and Conan.

The whole thing's just crazy. And yet people who work in TV still can't understand why everyone's turning to internet and DVR and DVDs and such.
oh, exactly. the conan/leno fiasco showed leno in a different light for me. i always thought leno seemed like he'd be the nicer guy of the two (the other being letterman, that is). but he knew what he was doing all along with this crap with conan the second he had them create that lame jay leno show.

exactly. in my case, i unfortunately have to turn to the internet for some shows, but any show that i really really like, i always end up buying it on dvd. it's not like himym or big bang theory really need my support, but it's nice to be able to watch particular episodes when i want, rather than waiting months for it to air again.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Oh she replies to nearly everyone, so nothing special. just said I was a fan from Australia, and asked what I can do to help. She said "Truly don't know. But iTunes and DVD sales couldn't hurt the cause. "
Ah. Eh, still cool . I like that she takes time to respond to everybody, she seems really sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
oh wow, that's ridiculous. the only soap i've ever really watched is y&r since like, god i think since like 1996 or something. i've sporadically watched others a little that my mom's watched over the years in addition to that one if i've been in the room when they've been on too, but yeah.
Yeah. I mean, of course, soap operas may not have the same relevance to today's generation that they did to people who grew up on such things, there's all sorts of reasons for their decline...

...but still, to leave loyal fans in the dust like that sucks, no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
and god, don't get me started on these replacements. cbs replaced their cancelled soaps with game shows, abc replaced theirs with lame talk shows. let's also not forget one is a carbon copy of the view (i'm surprised they didn't be even more obvious and pick a synonym of the word view), the other is a foodie version with a name that freaking rhymes with view. i don't even like the view, but come on. show some originality. but yeah, these lame shows are of course cheaper to produce, even if they pull less viewers i guess.
"The Talk". Ergh. Yes. I saw that show once when someone I like was to be on there. I'd sooner have watched "The View", and I'm not crazy about that show. At least the people on "View" go off their "have to say this to appeal to suburban moms and avoid controversy" type script every now and again and say something honest. I turned it after the person I like finished up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
it just ticks me off when a show like guiding light, which had been on since the days of radio, gets cancelled simply because the network decides it's cheaper to revive an old game show. it's not like it has to stay on forever just because of its history, but to cancel it just because you found something cheaper to put in its place is stupid.
Exactly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
oh, exactly. the conan/leno fiasco showed leno in a different light for me. i always thought leno seemed like he'd be the nicer guy of the two (the other being letterman, that is). but he knew what he was doing all along with this crap with conan the second he had them create that lame jay leno show.
Yeah, he was surprisingly conniving at times. Which is strange, given his whole "working-class appearance". Both guys had their less than pleasant moments in the limelight during that whole mess, though, honestly-when it got to the point where everyone was insulting each other on their shows, I was like, "Wow, how old are we now, guys?" I understand being mad, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
exactly. in my case, i unfortunately have to turn to the internet for some shows, but any show that i really really like, i always end up buying it on dvd. it's not like himym or big bang theory really need my support, but it's nice to be able to watch particular episodes when i want, rather than waiting months for it to air again.
Agreed. My family's got a nice little list of shows we want to start collecting on DVD, some old, some new. Plus, no commercials, either.

Another thing I'd suggest-NBC owns so many other channels, so does ABC and such...I'm thinking they could definitely save on costs if they didn't feel the need to buy up every channel in existence. Monopolies suck.
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com