Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:02 AM
Okay.

So. That's interesting. I honestly don't know what to make of all that.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #557
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i didn't really say much about it before but i thought the three episodes on thursday were brilliant. i don't think any of the episodes were weak or anything.

and i can't believe they've fired dan harmon. that's such bullshit. who knew the darkest timeline was yet to come. :cheesy: seriously though, with two of the head people from community gone, it makes me worried about how season four will be. i'll obviously still watch the crap out of it, but it won't be the same.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #558
45:33

Local Time: 02:02 AM
It might be better you never know.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #559
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm starting to think that if I want to enjoy season four, I'm going to have to just stream the episodes and talk to myself about them. Because everywhere else there's going to be crazy shit flying around.

This makes me feel really sorry for Dan. A hell of a lot has changed since those cast evaluations from the season one DVD.
Poor Dan

Wasn't there something a few days ago about NBC being annoyed that the show wasn't being made more mainstream and relatable?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #560

From a review: "Pierce can be among the show's most moving characters when he's not just being treated as a buffoon."

Definitely agree with that.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #561
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
It might be better you never know.
oh i know, but like i said it won't be the same. it might be better or worse; before i freak out and say it'll be the worst season ever i'll at least wait until a few eps air.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #562
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Quote:
I'm starting to think that if I want to enjoy season four, I'm going to have to just stream the episodes and talk to myself about them. Because everywhere else there's going to be crazy shit flying around.

This makes me feel really sorry for Dan. A hell of a lot has changed since those cast evaluations from the season one DVD.
From what I've read he's a dick to work with, constantly threatening to quit, insulting the writers, making them write and rewrite stuff multiple times refusing to compromise. Plus he messed with Chevy Chase, I'm sure that made the decision to dump him a lot easier. He also has a huge ego and seems to believe his own hype. I think we'll see a lot less 'meta' episodes and more mainstream shit. If the next season sucks, at least the finale of this episode can act as a proper send off.

The two guys they're bringing on to replace him were writers for Happy Endings on ABC, which wasn't bad, but I got bored with it.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #563
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
There's quite a few people that are leaving now, apparently-Harmon, Chris McKenna, Anthony and Joe Russo, Dino (aka Star-Burns)...

If it'd just been Harmon leaving, and over the behind the scenes stuff, that would be one thing-it's a shame, but it'd be understandable. He's not alone, of course. NBC don't seem to know how to run their network, that is true. This specific incident was Sony-related, it sounds like...I have no comment on Sony, 'cause I don't know how they run things, but I know many aren't happy with them right now over this. Chevy, if reports are to be believed, is a pain to work with, and he should be raked over the coals for any unprofessional behavior on his part, too. But if Harmon has contributed in any way to the nasty atmosphere, which it sounds like he has at times, then he shares some of the blame.

But man, that many people aside from him leaving does leave me wondering a bit. That said, I've never seen "Happy Endings", but I have heard pretty good things, so who knows. Maybe a different voice will be a good way to breathe some new life into the show. And the cast is game for all sorts of goofy things-I'm sure they'll try and keep the overall spirit and quirkiness of the show intact. So I'm going to keep an optimistic attitude, and watch and support this show to the end, because I'm like that with all my favorite shows.

However, with all the crazy things going on around this show of late, I fully get why some fans are spazzing out. How did things get so messy so quickly?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #564

Speaking of fans spazzing out...

https://twitter.com/#!/jujujulieta/s...50300564955137

This is the girl that does all the fan art. I was following her on twitter for a while but I had to unfollow because she wrote a lot of creepy stuff. It's no different to pleba.

I don't know anything about her, really, but man, this is a bit ridiculous.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #565
Blue Crack Addict

I feel kinda bad for her, 'cause it sounds like she's been dealing with some difficult stuff.

But that was very awkward and strange in spots. Yes.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #566

She says on twitter she's been crying for hours at night... girl needs help...
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #567
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/joelmchale/statu...07350187724800

https://twitter.com/rashistvugly/sta...99550568693761
Old 05-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #568
Blue Crack Distributor

Jim Rash and Joel McHale make statements. Couldn't post them directly from my phone.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #569
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:02 AM
I thought this was an interesting perspective (from a former showrunner):

By Ken Levine: Dan Harmon's firing: My take

Shows tend to survive without the original creative force. Even WEST WING when Aaron Sorkin was sacked. Even MASH when Larry Gelbart quit. MASH is a perfect example. If they could replace the genius of Larry Gelbart with a couple of knuckleheads like me and my partner and the show still survived, then you know it’s pretty bulletproof.

For a network to fire a showrunner, his behavior had to be pretty unruly. The network weighs the value of his contribution with the nightmare of dealing with him and must decide if he’s worth it. Dan Harmon apparently wasn’t worth it.

Me, I think Harmon needs to get over himself a bit. But I'm not head-over-heels about the show like a lot of the show's fans are. I think the first two seasons were great, and then less so after that. Some brilliant episodes, some so-so episodes. My favorite episodes tend to be the high-concept ones, and I don't have a lot invested in the characters, so don't tend to care so much about episodes that show character growth or watching their relationships develop.

I wouldn't go so far as Chevy Chase to call the show mediocre, but it's not the second coming of Jesus, and neither is Harmon (okay, I don't think he's THAT arrogant. But he comes across as pretty damned arrogant).

All that being said, I'm glad it's coming back next year, even for just 13 episodes. Curious to see if/how it changes without Harmon.

Edit, because I'm finding the different perspectives interesting: I have an acquaintance who works in TV and often has a lot of "inside baseball" stuff to say about TV stuff. She's not a fan of Community, but she had some good things to say in the line of "this is how it works in TV."

While I don't agree with her about the show itself, I thought this kind of summed it up. It's just the way TV works on the big networks:

For those who thought Harmon made the show he wanted to make - that's fine. You get to make the show you want to make when you're Jerry Seinfeld and Seinfeld is TV's top show in the late 1990's. You get to make the show you want to make when you're Anthony Zuiker and all three CSI are top 10 shows in the mid 2000's. You get to make the show you want to make Shonda Rhimes and Grey's Anatomy knocked Zuiker's CSI to second place on Thursdays at 9PM. When you're lower rated than every program on the competition on Thursday night, you get to make the show Sony and NBC want you to make or they'll get someone else to make the show.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #570
Blue Crack Distributor

Another Harmontown in June. Tickets sold out pretty quickly today. I color us very lucky