Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #526
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:07 PM
lol, a file with misc. chang puns on it.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #527
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Anyone see McHale on Leno last night?
Yep. "Scottish gigolo" . The story about the grape drink was great, too. He makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Also, after last week, how can anyone's favorite character not be Troy at this point?
I love Troy. It's pretty hard to pick a favorite, though, they're all wonderful. I freely admit the end of the last of the three episodes tonight actually brought a bit of a tear to my eye-I'm glad this show's getting another season, even if it does wind up being a shortened one.

Also, the video game episode was excellent.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #528
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Is it time for fall yet?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #529
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2904 View Post
If people keep skipping through the commercials, advertisers won't buy spots and networks won't have the money to invest in programming. Either you can't skip ads on DVRs, you have to deal with pop-up ads in programming or all shows are going to have product placement.
I pay 100 bucks a month for cable. I don't want to watch commercials. If they fuck with the dvrs and prevent people from skipping commercials, I'd just go back to torrenting my shows. If they really go full retard with the pop up commercials, I'll just wait for my shows to come on netflix or for the DVD rips.

These companies have to realize times are CHANG-ing. Old ways of raising revenue no longer work. The rating system is flawed. They either have to get with the times and adapt, or become obsolete.

Those episodes were excellent by the way. That would have been an excellent series finale, but I'm even more glad it isn't.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #530
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
I pay 100 bucks a month for cable. I don't want to watch commercials. If they fuck with the dvrs and prevent people from skipping commercials, I'd just go back to torrenting my shows. If they really go full retard with the pop up commercials, I'll just wait for my shows to come on netflix or for the DVD rips.

These companies have to realize times are CHANG-ing. Old ways of raising revenue no longer work. The rating system is flawed. They either have to get with the times and adapt, or become obsolete.

Those episodes were excellent by the way. That would have been an excellent series finale, but I'm even more glad it isn't.
I agree with this. Some people say that anyone who torrents is ruining a show but I've spent the past ten years watching almost every show that's really good and stands out get cancelled because of the terrible ratings/commercial system. Meanwhile mediocre* shows get to run for 8+ seasons long past the point where the show should have ended (example: HIMYM).

It's time for a change. I am so tired of sitting through five minutes of commercials 2-3 times in a single episode. Hulu is so much more tolerable. I could do a more in depth post on this later, so bear that in mind. My brain is kind of foggy right now (four hours of sleep)

*When I say "mediocre", I just mean that the show doesn't have a "wow!" factor. The show may have been good at first, but they drag it out for so long that it starts to feel repetitive and like you're not getting anything new out of it anymore. Sometimes shows will change just for the sake of getting more viewers and it will alienate the original viewership. Yet these are the shows networks pay attention to because they appeal to the old audience of tired adults that come home from work and veg out all evening, not people who schedule time out of their busy day to sit down and watch a show.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #531
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I agree with this. Some people say that anyone who torrents is ruining a show but I've spent the past ten years watching almost every show that's really good and stands out get cancelled because of the terrible ratings/commercial system. Meanwhile mediocre* shows get to run for 8+ seasons long past the point where the show should have ended (example: HIMYM).

It's time for a change. I am so tired of sitting through five minutes of commercials 2-3 times in a single episode. Hulu is so much more tolerable. I could do a more in depth post on this later, so bear that in mind. My brain is kind of foggy right now (four hours of sleep)

*When I say "mediocre", I just mean that the show doesn't have a "wow!" factor. The show may have been good at first, but they drag it out for so long that it starts to feel repetitive and like you're not getting anything new out of it anymore. Sometimes shows will change just for the sake of getting more viewers and it will alienate the original viewership. Yet these are the shows networks pay attention to because they appeal to the old audience of tired adults that come home from work and veg out all evening, not people who schedule time out of their busy day to sit down and watch a show.
Exactly.

They cry that piracy is killing the industry, but they don't realize that 7 minutes of show/4 minutes of commercials, the constant intrusive pop up advertisements that take up the bottom half of the screen, and the shitty quality of most shows are driving people away.

Most of the stuff on the networks is atrocious. Whitney is awful, but gets another season. Big Bang theory is blackface for geeks. Two and a half Men is crap. FX and AMC are putting out good shows, but I can't get lost in what's on screen if I'm constantly being pulled out because of stupid commercial breaks. Thank God for HBO and DVRs.

I'm leery about trying out new shows because I don't want to get into one and then it suddenly gets cancelled to make way for another reality show or laugh tracked sitcom. The half dozen network shows I watch all seem to be coming to an end next year. Once they're all done, I may cut the cord for good.

Community is a great show and it will live on like Arrested Development did on Netflix and through DVDs.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
One day my mom was watching a DVD of "Bewitched" episodes. After it'd stopped and I went to take the DVD out I noticed the time limit on the episode that had stopped.

It was about 25 minutes, without the commercials. Whereas "Community" episodes are noted as clocking in at 21, 22 minutes minus the commercials. Found that rather interesting.

I'll be willing to sit through whatever I have to sit through in order to watch shows I love, but yes, there's a LOT of revamping that TV networks need to do, be it with advertising or the shows themselves. I haven't seen the shows people talk about here that you feel suck or have gone downhill (did read cobl's post/rant in the "How I Met Your Mother" thread, though-I don't watch that show, but I do like to read the thread for some reason. Yeouch), so I can't comment on them. And what doesn't appeal to me will appeal to others and vice versa.

But I do think originality is a very valuable trait and more shows should strive for it. At the same time, I also understand that some viewers out there aren't obsessive about TV the way others are, they just want something that doesn't tax their brain after a hard day and just want a half hour of entertainment, or background noise. So I dunno how we can balance that out so that everyone's happy.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #533
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
I work in the media industry, and the trend is towards more advertising, not less.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #534
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998
Big Bang theory is blackface for geeks.
I've never seen BBT summed up so aptly. Seriously impressed with this.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #535
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
One day my mom was watching a DVD of "Bewitched" episodes. After it'd stopped and I went to take the DVD out I noticed the time limit on the episode that had stopped.

It was about 25 minutes, without the commercials. Whereas "Community" episodes are noted as clocking in at 21, 22 minutes minus the commercials. Found that rather interesting.

I'll be willing to sit through whatever I have to sit through in order to watch shows I love, but yes, there's a LOT of revamping that TV networks need to do, be it with advertising or the shows themselves. I haven't seen the shows people talk about here that you feel suck or have gone downhill (did read cobl's post/rant in the "How I Met Your Mother" thread, though-I don't watch that show, but I do like to read the thread for some reason. Yeouch), so I can't comment on them. And what doesn't appeal to me will appeal to others and vice versa.

But I do think originality is a very valuable trait and more shows should strive for it. At the same time, I also understand that some viewers out there aren't obsessive about TV the way others are, they just want something that doesn't tax their brain after a hard day and just want a half hour of entertainment, or background noise. So I dunno how we can balance that out so that everyone's happy.
Back in the 50s and 60s advertising was mainly right before a show started and right after, and it was usually one sponsor adverting a program, that's why the Flintstones did ads for Philip Morris for example. Shows ran longer then. When they air stuff on TVland and those types of channels they really butcher some of the shows to squeeze in commercial breaks, it's especially evident with hour long programs.

I'd have no problem with product placements within shows, as long as it doesn't distract from the story and it's not evident, but dropping in longer commercial breaks with stupid ads that are almost insulting is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I've never seen BBT summed up so aptly. Seriously impressed with this.
*bows*
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #536
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:07 PM
I thought the finale itself was the weakest of the three, but holy shit, those first two were stellar.

You guys - I even liked all the Chang stuff.

The little Abeds killed me.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #537
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I thought the finale itself was the weakest of the three, but holy shit, those first two were stellar.
You must be my evil doppledeaner- or I you-as I thought the last episode was a solid rescue from the disappointment of the first two. All three episodes had a good string of funny jokes, and Danny Pudi really knocked it out of the park the whole way through, but it was hard to stop noticing how clumsy the setup writing was and the unearned emotional beats they were trying to hit. Over and over, characters would walk into a room and then decide to start dropping clear exposition. It felt stilted, like we were watching a televised stage play. I mean, really? You're doing an homage to Super NES games, but concerned about making sure casual viewers wouldn't feel left out?

A detail I really liked was having Jeff in the last episode be pre-occupied in court with trying to study for his Biology final. It was a welcome reminder of something sometimes shunted aside, which is that the study group members have diverse motivations. Too often it gets boiled down to something like "give Pierce the selfish and racist dialogue". End character. I have to confess that I understand why Chevy's a bit disgruntled with Harmon's writing: after three seasons, I've dropped my expectations to a Better Off Ted-level of "well, it's a good joke vehicle".

Quote:
The little Abeds killed me.
Little Abeds.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #538
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Back in the 50s and 60s advertising was mainly right before a show started and right after, and it was usually one sponsor adverting a program, that's why the Flintstones did ads for Philip Morris for example. Shows ran longer then. When they air stuff on TVland and those types of channels they really butcher some of the shows to squeeze in commercial breaks, it's especially evident with hour long programs.
So I've heard, yeah. My mom's ranted about that before, how shows will be edited and bits taken out to save time to get the ads in. You see the full unedited version on DVDs only most of the time now.

Quote:
I'd have no problem with product placements within shows, as long as it doesn't distract from the story and it's not evident, but dropping in longer commercial breaks with stupid ads that are almost insulting is just ridiculous.
Agreed. As stated, commercials in and of themselves aren't necessarily the problem. Advertising helps pay the bills. We get that.

It more often seems to be that the commercials people make now are really stupid and obnoxious. They're patronizing, or nonsensical, or loud compared to the shows, or whatever. Again, I mention the ads for TV shows during other shows. It's one thing to have a thing in the bottom corner mentioning a show-visible enough to notice, but doesn't distract too much from what you're currently watching. A subtle means of saying, "Hey, this show's coming on if you want to watch it!"

But no, ads of that sort have to have people from the show popping up in the corner to walk around or dance or something, or the ad has to be taking up half the freaking screen. Hell, I remember watching an episode of a show once and it hadn't even finished yet, and all of a sudden some character from a new show being advertised literally pushed the current screen aside, and a promotion for that new show ran. That sort of tactic doesn't make people any more interested in what you're selling. It annoys them and makes them turn elsewhere to watch their shows where they don't have to put up with such intrusions.

Plus, some would argue that if the product is that good, you shouldn't have to resort to such measures to promote it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #539
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:07 AM
I'm in agreement with mobvok. The video game episode draaaaaaaaaagggged. Once again, another episode with next to no laughs that the fans will go crazy over because it's another high concept one.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #540
Blue Crack Addict

I laughed quite a bit at the video game episode . When I saw the promo things online for that episode I wasn't sure if it would work, but I thought it was fine. I'm not a gamer at all, but I don't feel like the show was holding my hand and explaining everything to me as the episode went on.