Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #511
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 04:56 PM
Except Thursday night games are broadcast on the NFL Network and that channel is not readily available to a lot of people.
__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #512
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:56 PM
I always forget about football because I'm too busy feigning interest in baseball.
__________________

__________________
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #513
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dsmith2904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Just keep me where the light is
Posts: 12,290
Local Time: 12:56 PM
Though "Community" wasn't mentioned in his comments, shows like "Community" that are watched by millions of people outside of its primetime slot have to be influencing this desire to change the ratings system.

NBC Executive Chafes at Commercial-Skipping DVR and Nielsen's Rating System - NYTimes.com
__________________
dsmith2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #514
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:56 PM
He asked, “Just because technology gives you the ability to do something, does that mean you should?” He answered, “Not always.”

riiiight. if i have the technology for something as minor as skipping commercials on a tv show, i'm gonna watch them anyway. it's not like we're talking about the atomic bomb or anything. he's coming off a bit like a whiny bitch who's way up in the 1% who doesn't get why people don't want to watch commercial after commercial. i'm sure when it's all said and done, he's probably way too busy to watch that much tv anyway so he hardly understands how annoying it gets for us commonfolk after a while

that all being said, i hate the nielsen system. it's so archaic, built on the old days back when you couldn't skip past things. then tivo came along and now every cable and satellite carrier offers their own dvr too so lots of people have them. i know these execs want to look at all this as how many people are ultimately watching ads, but people obviously don't watch tv to watch ads. if i'm watching live tv, i'll either mute the tv (if it's a new show) or change the channel during the break (if it's a rerun so i can afford to miss a minute if i don't change back in time).

to me this story is yet another case of execs with an archaic way of looking at things from back in the good old days yet they refuse to conform to current technology. if tv, (and even music, movies, etc.) got with the times and realised not everyone can watch stuff live and if it's recorded, most will opt to skip the commercials, then progress can be made. i don't want banners or pop ups to start appearing during the show or anything to force people who dvr to see some sort of ad, but it's not fair to punish shows and then the rest of us by cancelling supposed low-rated shows that aren't really that low-rated just because the enough people dvr them to drop them a few places or something.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #515
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 02:56 PM
Was going to say, I don't think he'll be getting much sympathy on the commercials thing amongst people. People are recording because they want to watch the show, not the commercials, duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i don't want banners or pop ups to start appearing during the show or anything to force people who dvr to see some sort of ad, but it's not fair to punish shows and then the rest of us by cancelling supposed low-rated shows that aren't really that low-rated just because the enough people dvr them to drop them a few places or something.
Agreed. I absolutely HATE it when I'm watching a show and half the screen or a corner or whatever is suddenly taken up by an ad for something. So incredibly annoying, and I don't get how the network heads don't realize that. I understand advertising is a big part of how networks make money, but there's got to be a way to do that without annoying the viewers in the process. In our newfangled technological age, I'd have to think something novel could be thought up in regards to that.

And I still maintain that if networks didn't feel the need to own half the channels on TV, that might free up quite a bit of money for them to put into their own network, so they can develop quality programs and hire good writers and actors, and keep their channel going strong and letting shows have more of a chance.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #516
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dsmith2904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Just keep me where the light is
Posts: 12,290
Local Time: 12:56 PM
If people keep skipping through the commercials, advertisers won't buy spots and networks won't have the money to invest in programming. Either you can't skip ads on DVRs, you have to deal with pop-up ads in programming or all shows are going to have product placement.
__________________
dsmith2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #517
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 07:56 AM
To get us out of this boring conversation... ya (8) bit?!!



__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #518
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
He asked, “Just because technology gives you the ability to do something, does that mean you should?” He answered, “Not always.”

riiiight. if i have the technology for something as minor as skipping commercials on a tv show, i'm gonna watch them anyway. it's not like we're talking about the atomic bomb or anything. he's coming off a bit like a whiny bitch who's way up in the 1% who doesn't get why people don't want to watch commercial after commercial. i'm sure when it's all said and done, he's probably way too busy to watch that much tv anyway so he hardly understands how annoying it gets for us commonfolk after a while

that all being said, i hate the nielsen system. it's so archaic, built on the old days back when you couldn't skip past things. then tivo came along and now every cable and satellite carrier offers their own dvr too so lots of people have them. i know these execs want to look at all this as how many people are ultimately watching ads, but people obviously don't watch tv to watch ads. if i'm watching live tv, i'll either mute the tv (if it's a new show) or change the channel during the break (if it's a rerun so i can afford to miss a minute if i don't change back in time).

to me this story is yet another case of execs with an archaic way of looking at things from back in the good old days yet they refuse to conform to current technology. if tv, (and even music, movies, etc.) got with the times and realised not everyone can watch stuff live and if it's recorded, most will opt to skip the commercials, then progress can be made. i don't want banners or pop ups to start appearing during the show or anything to force people who dvr to see some sort of ad, but it's not fair to punish shows and then the rest of us by cancelling supposed low-rated shows that aren't really that low-rated just because the enough people dvr them to drop them a few places or something.
I get his point, and it's the one made above by D-Smith. They're already strapped for cash as a network. Are you now going to be happy with things that lower the enticements for advertisers to invest in shows like Community? That seems like a problem. I see his point there. And I totally agree with his point on the Nielsen system, which basically everybody agrees on except CBS.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #519
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
To get us out of this boring conversation... ya (8) bit?!!



These look cute. And weird.

Yeah. Sounds like tomorrow night's shows, from the stuff I've seen online and whatnot, are going to be a real trip. Should be a good evening.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #520
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I get his point, and it's the one made above by D-Smith. They're already strapped for cash as a network. Are you now going to be happy with things that lower the enticements for advertisers to invest in shows like Community? That seems like a problem. I see his point there. And I totally agree with his point on the Nielsen system, which basically everybody agrees on except CBS.
yeah, because until these posts i thought the money for tv shows just came from some huge vault like scrooge mcduck. it never occurred to me that maybe the ads they show financed it.

come on. i know how ads work and i also know me watching ads or not doesn't even matter unless i actually go out and buy the stuff. but that wasn't even the point of my post.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #521
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
To get us out of this boring conversation... ya (8) bit?!!
Love how you Chang'ed the reference for these.



Anyone see McHale on Leno last night?


Also, after last week, how can anyone's favorite character not be Troy at this point?
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #522
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
That might have been it. Now I'm wondering if it had just been the Comicon reference. Oh well. I'll just stop wondering and say "that whole scene was funny."
The turn of the century brick & Antiques Roadshow spiel?

"Hello? Rich people? Troy's joining you. Yes I'll hold"

__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #523
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You know, I haven't read anywhere that the fourth will even be the last season.

But 13 eps and a move to Fridays is probably not a great sign.
Friday isn't the kiss of doom it once was, it's where network cult shows can survive. Community has the most die hard fanbase on television, and now it doesn't compete with Big Bang Theory, if it holds most of its audience it should get it's back 9 & possibly continue after season 4. Look how Fringe has survived for 3 seasons on Fridays and that's way more expensive, and Chuck is the best example because that's also a show that belongs to Sony that Sony wanted to air more episodes of so they'd have more for syndication & so they made it really cheap for NBC to keep on for 2 seasons or so on Fridays. Community's in the exact same boat, and already has a syndication deal in place for 2013.

Also, as we know Sony's keen on more episodes for syndication, and NBC doesn't own the show, if they do can it, Sony can pivot it onto cable, a hope that's strengthened by the TBS rescue of Cougar Town last week.


All that said, I want them to know when the show's going to end so they can plan the ending arcs properly, and I don't want it to get dragged out if it's going to go down hill. It could turn weird like what happened with Scrubs, always a cult show that somehow got pimped out for 2 or 3 years after it should have ended because of syndication money & wore down its reputation.

The show set up its date with destiny with Jeff planning his graduation dinner for May 2013 at the very beginning of the show, unless they make a strong effort to pivot the show away from Greendale & make it work, I'd rather they get their back 9 and end around graduation in season 4.

If it doesn't continue to be about these 7 characters, it wouldn't be worth it, but then again Greendale gives the show its live action Simpsons quality with its universe of background characters, so it'd be weird to lose any of that too, even though they've already successfully separated the characters from the campus for the bulk of this season.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #524
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,043
Local Time: 02:56 PM
GUSTAVO FUCKING FRlNG.
__________________
Imperor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #525
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:56 PM
i loved the little abeds. awesome episode.
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com