Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #421
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:41 PM
See it bothered me that they were doing a parody for parody's sake since even their most referential episodes have been filled with character development, but I'm giving them a pass since this is a Law & Order parody and Dick Wolf's motto is "no character development". It's a (pardon me) cop out, but (again, sorry) I'll allow it. Also, shoehorning the death into the last second is exactly how procedural shows do "serialization" so even that added to the perfect parody. It's just laced with subtle nods to tropes of that series down to the camera work & the working stiffs going about their business finding a dead body setup, and the first suspect being exonerated, and the last second shock in the courtroom. So much going on.

"Is that why you beat your wife? Withdrawn!"
"Is that why you drink & pop pills? Withdrawn!"
"Is it true you're a virgin? Withdrawn!"

Also, Michael K. Williams yelling "Holy crap!" was far funnier than it should have been. Plus we got a direct Omar reference with "a man's got to have a code".

Greendale Community College is represented by two separate yet equally important types of people: the goofballs that run around stirring up trouble, and the eggheads that make a big deal out of it. These are their stories.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
See it bothered me that they were doing a parody for parody's sake since even their most referential episodes have been filled with character development, but I'm giving them a pass since this is a Law & Order parody and Dick Wolf's motto is "no character development".
The one thing I shall agree with you on. But eh, yeah, sometimes it's nice for a series to just have goofy random fun, especially since the last few episodes have had some rather weighty subject matter going on.

Did not know that about the Dick Wolf thing-clever (also clever: the title of the episode. I read over at the AV Club how that was a play on Dick Wolf's name...I'm very slow, apparently, 'cause I did not catch that at all until it was pointed out in that review).

Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Plus we got a direct Omar reference with "a man's got to have a code".
I did a backflip over this, which is disconcerting considering I was laying down when watching it. Hopefully this means Giancarlo Esposito will drop some Gus on us in the finale.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #424
45:33

Local Time: 12:41 PM
One of my favourites in a long time.

Fucking Todd.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 PM
That format doesn't really allow for much character development. I thought it was pitch perfect.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #426
Blue Crack Addict

Omar!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
So, thoughts on this news, anyone?

NBC Moves Community Finale into May Sweeps - TVLine
Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #428
ONE
love, blood, life

Could be a vote of confidence, but the schedule for that night is a mess, & much as the prospect of 3 episodes of Community in one night excites me, that's also shoving the last few we get out all at once. Possibly forever.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #429
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

though doing community-30 rock-community-community is stupid. i know why they're doing it like that, since normally on thursdays it's community-30 rock. i'm not saying they should switch spots because that'd confuse people and would mess up the ratings for both shows, but to break up the episodes like that seems weird. i guess since it wasn't shot to be a 90 minute episode (or even one 30 minute and a 60 minute episode) it doesn't matter, but it's odd.

i just hope, like ph24 said, that smooshing them together doesn't mean that's it forever. i remember that's what they did for the finale of arrested development, stupidly up against the fucking winter olympics. that was just fox's way of showing they didn't give a shit about the show anymore, but still. i'm sure if it does get renewed then next season will be their last, but i just want them to have a proper goodbye.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #430
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i just want them to have a proper goodbye.
This.

Yeah, some people say it could be a vote of confidence, putting it in sweeps week like that, and I hope that's what this move means.

But yes, I'm with you guys in general here. Ugh, I wish we could just get a definite answer one way or another on their renewal now so I could know how happy or nervous/sad to feel.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #431
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not worried that it's a burn off like Arrested Development, that was against the Olympic opening ceremonies on top of already being scheduled on a Friday. This is NBC moving it up into Sweeps week and not sticking with the 2 hour finale of Awake. I'd say it has a lot more to do with that than either confidence or lack thereof in Community. The syndication deal with Sony (and how they worked deals to keep Chuck around for less money on NBC's bill so they'd all make more money with more episodes to syndicate, NBC's inability to launch new series, Community's DVR & Hulu-watching/DVD and merchandise-buying cult audience, all suggest the odds are in its favor to return.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #432
ONE
love, blood, life

That said, the upcoming episode title "Introduction to Finality" while likely a joke, is rather unsettling.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #433
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:41 PM
What powerhour said. Yeah fwiw im not worried about may. I think we have season 4 already regardless.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #434
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:41 PM
I loved this episode.

And I didn't realize that bio professor was Omar until last night. (Probably because I hadn't yet seen The Wire before he popped up on the show.)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #435
45:33

Local Time: 12:41 PM
I miss John Oliver so much