Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rewatched Football, Feminism, And You tonight. Troy and Annie are great characters, Pierce has to use his business experience to develop the Human Beings mascot, the Dean makes his first official appearance to the group as a vaguely unsettling man, and Shirley and Britta have meaningful bathroom adventures. And the camera usually sits a bit further back, showing more of Greendale and the set.

Your team's Al Gore cos your views are wrong!

Pxx0OXw.png

2wv3woC.png

qLS6vFv.png

The one saving grace of last night's deliriously terrible episode: long tracking shot of Gillian in her undies.

One of the funniest things about the show recently is how smart it thinks it is. Not sure exactly what they've proven in the last season +, other than a single episode. Getting more niche by focusing on your own mythology is not being "smart". Also, the al Capone shit and the awful dean puns the show loves to death.

Also, tonight's episode? I don't know where people were freaking out about how bad it was...I liked it :shrug:. The talk between Jeff and Annie at the end was sweet, and it's interesting to see Britta and Troy actually together now.

Yeah I didn't think it was so bad either, to be honest. Certainly in the bottom handful of episodes the show's done but I liked it more than the premiere.

My biggest worry is that the characters seem to have totally regressed. Annie in particular. Alison Brie is so awesome, and she's doing exceptionally well with what she's being given, but geez. Three seasons of really captivating development and so far they've gone nowhere.

Those rhyming celebrity things are fucking horrible.

Agreed on the characters, I feel like at this point they should've let go of some of the hangups they've been having the past few years. But eh, then again, many people revert back to old habits/attitudes from time to time, so... And I agree that it was better than the season premiere, too-so far that's probably the weakest one of the new episodes.

The "Inspector Spacetime" thing has never really been an issue for me one way or another, so that's probably part of why this episode worked for me.

Also, I'm STILL apparently totally oblivious to the name rhyme jokes everyone's talking about. Next week I'll try and pay closer attention (and watch, that'll be the week they won't do them :p).

I'm leaning heavily that way. It didn't take me very long to bail on The Office when things went south (I think it was somewhere around midway through season five). I'm willing to go two or three more and I might just give up.

MEMO
TO: Community_Cast_Crew
September 6th, 2012

Hi, guys. I've been watching the dailies and I have to say, I'm really excited about where we're going this season with such a talented cast and crew. However, while I think we're doing well, I did notice a few minor tweaks to make on this week's episode that hopefully will keep us on the right path.

First of all, the study group must walk together as a blob of humanity. Everywhere. They are not individuals with differing course schedules, nor are they to ever to be depicted more than five (5) feet apart from one another. How else are we supposed to convey their collective unity other than through physical staging? As far as the group arrangement goes, we're paying Joel McHale the most, so he's going to stand in front. Alison Brie is on that Mad Men show, so we'll put her up front alongside him on his right to get some reaction shots. And maybe a little cleavage? The internet will like that. Donald Glover and Gillian Jacobs can be our B-team of reaction shots, put them slightly behind and to the right of Joel and Allison so the faces appear above their shoulders.

Put Danny wherever.

Make sure Chevy is as far in the back as remotely possible. An option on his contract kicks in if he has more than 1:45 of face time this season, and after wider establishing shots that works out to an average of about three (3) closeups for a total of no more than six (6) seconds screen time per episode. Make those punch lines count!

I think that covers everyone.

As far as the plot of the episode, after realizing Malcolm McDowell is kind of a dick on set, David and I talked and we both agreed to make some last-minute rewrites to the script making his casting cryptically unnecessary. Next week we'll imply his character's absence is something about needing to return to his home planet.

Nick Kroll was unable to return as the lead German from that highly regarded foosball episode last year, but we've hired a new actor with a fresh take on broad German stereotypes. Be sure to give him a friendly Heil, Chevy if you see him on set. Oh, I'm just ribbing, we love you Chevy.

Anyway, keep up the good work, guys!

MP
#sixseasonsandamovie

Better than the season premiere, but the last two episodes were definitely above this, I'd say. But there were some moments in this one that I liked (the exasperation of everyone else getting shut out of the study room over the years was cute), so I'm okay with it. I also understand that this one was apparently aired out of order, so I don't know if that makes a difference at all?

i enjoyed it, but that's the german major in me speaking. had it been about something else, i might've felt otherwise. i will admit i didn't crack up like i did for past episodes, though.

I liked that episode, though admittedly it hardly made me laugh. I too liked the whole reactions to the study room being booked over the years. Nice callback to Daybreak too, I love that song.

I'll watch all 13, but I fear it's going to take a catastrophic turn if it does get a fifth season.

I dub thee Not Bad, with sparks of creativity. I was a little surprised by Jeff's appendicitis story.

Loved the unfunny dude from unfunny Workaholics as Jeff's half brother! And especially loved Britta inexplicably being at the Winger family Thanksgiving! Lol, guys! Lol!

Tonight's plot felt like something that could have been cracked under Harmon in season 2 or 3- which is a compliment compared to the first few episodes this season- but the characters themselves aren't really acting out-of-character so much as they're not full characters. They're putting Britta and her "therapist" hat in the same box as Pierce being out of date, Troy being dumb, and Annie being Mrs. Winger: the one characteristic each individual has.

I'm sure there's one line of dialogue in the beginning that "covered" this, but Imp is right- Britta isn't missing anybody at all this Thanksgiving? This season she's being defined by Abed, Troy and Jeff's actions instead of being her own presence. Analyzing Abed in the premiere, analyzing Jeff in the Halloween ep, being the Patient, Indulgent Girlfriend during the nerd con, and just along for the ride last week.

And this is my old hobby horse from early season 2, but no one really has an academic life beyond the one class the group shares. I know the show is trying to spread its wings beyond Greendale, but the demands of the differing classes are/were a good proxy for the demands of individual life that's going to pull them apart very soon.

What a weird episode. It was paced so poorly. Without any hint or build up or evidence, really, we have to believe that Shirley's dinner is so bad...that it's bad enough for the four of them to want to escape? And that it's worthy of a big Shawshank riff? No. We basically didn't even see the inside of the house.

Britta being at the father/son reunion. The step-brother. Both bad.

The self-referential crap that seems shoehorned in. So much of this show just naturally rings false to me now. It's really a shame.

However, I don't think it was all awful. Troy had a couple of good moments. The opening scene at the study table was pretty good and, for me, about as reminiscent of old Community as anything we've seen this year. Jeff's speech to his father was not totally pitch perfect, but it was memorable. Didn't think we'd ever hear about Winger cutting himself.

ehhhh, I'll stop there. I'll say this about Season 4: it's fascinating to watch. For a number of reasons.

I thought it was a good episode myself. Enjoyed the Shawshank thing, Jeff and his Dad. Britta being there didn't bother me watching it but on reflection it was kind of ridiculous. Still didn't really make me laugh though.

Mobvok you are right about the characters all being defined at the moment by their one characteristic, which has never happened before. The regression continues.

Would like to have known what Dan Harmon would have done with Jeff and his Dad... hopefully one day he sits down with someone and does a big interview. I take back all the things I said about him.

Yeah, I liked it, too. No, it wasn't a laugh riot, but they've had a few episodes over the years like that, so...*Shrugs*.

Definitely agree that the bit with the half-brother didn't really work all that well-I like the idea in and of itself, but, I dunno, maybe a different actor and a different personality might've helped that work better. But I did like the whole thing between Jeff and his dad, and that story about the scar...whoa. Didn't expect the show to go down a road like that.

And I liked when the gang gathered for their own Thanksgiving dinner at the end, too. It was sweet and made me smile.

Back
Top Bottom