Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weird article. The first half he comes off as someone who watched the show despite hating it and its idiosyncrasies, and then the second half he is lamenting that the best show ever has become normal.

I'll reserve all judgement till I've watched the episodes myself. Still really excited.

*Shrugs* Taking the "wait and see" approach. I would imagine all the drama of the last year or so surrounding the show would likely have some impact on how some of the episodes play out and come off-if there are moments of lifelessness or whatever, that's probably a big part of why. And I think everyone's pretty well aware that the show will not resemble the one that existed under Harmon's rule-if someone hasn't accepted that yet, then they might want to do so pretty quickly.

But given that the show's likely not going to last much longer as it is, and given the talent of the cast and the crew who have been sticking around through all the craziness, I don't see these changes as something to fret all that much over. If it's good, then yay. If it's not, then eh, that's a shame, but it's something many shows aren't immune to.

All I know is, I look forward to tomorrow evening.

Wow, what a crazy age we live in. We know now, before even one episode of the season has aired, that the writer of the season finale thinks that the season finale is going to kinda suck.

An unthinkable thing in the past. We know now that Larry and Jerry were somewhat disappointed with the direction they took in the Seinfeld finale, and that they realized they didn't make it enough like a "typical" Seinfeld episode...but what if we fucking had reddit back then and knew about that going into the episode? Crazy.

Reading Ganz's views on that episode is totally going to color the way I watch it now.

This hyper-information age is not always a good thing. Oh, well. What can you do? I guess it's partially my own fault for being on the internet so god damn much.

Or you could just not give a shit, watch it and make up your own mind, like I will.

Pretty sure Ganz is going to have high expectations on herself.

Thanks for the Reddit link, cobl. So NBC wasn't sure about the "Dungeons & Dragons" episode? Why does that not surprise me? Also, I'm really intrigued about the Christmas episode now. Bottle episode and borrowed from Hitchcock? Hmmm.

As for tonight's episode: hectic. Lot of stuff crammed in, some of it worked better than other parts. Liked the idea of the "Abed's World" show thing, but it was probably my least favorite part of the show in how it played out overall (though there were some good moments and Fred Willard worked surprisingly well amongst the cast).

But I think the show got better as it went on, and all the stuff between Jeff and Dean Pelton was so much fun (I love the apartment thing at the end. Oh, dear). Not perfect, but I didn't expect it to be such, and overall, I'm still interested in seeing what else these guys can come up with for the remainder of the season.

I didn't like this episode. But it was the same sort of forgettable as a lot of season 3, not necessarily some post-Harmon implosion.

If more jokes landed for me, I probably wouldn't notice this, but the DP and Directors for the last season+ have felt really weak. Everything is high key and well lit to the point of feeling like a cheap set, and the scene blocking feels clumsy as well. Complaints for a comedy!

My thoughts exactly. Not thrilled. Not even necessarily happy to have it back after that.

It is so strange to have a show written in this way by people who know how it should be written who still can't get it done. Has there ever been a showrunner with such a vision like Dan Harmon? No one can do it like him, even his most trusted allies, like Ganz. It's depressing, isn't it?

Sorry, I meant on iTunes. Or dvd at this point. Blu all the way. But it did finally show up on demand, so I watched it. It was okay.

Finally got the chance to watch it.

Didn't really like it. Maybe the first episode of the show that I can say that about. The entire time it felt like they were trying to cram five minutes of stuff into 30 seconds. I felt like I was watching it on fast forward. The plot made little sense, there was no substance whatsoever (first ever time that's happened on this show?), jokes didn't make me laugh. Troy & Britta felt extremely fake, which sucks, because the build-up was great to watch in season three. For a moment I thought NBC had actually added a laugh track, and was momentarily horrified, but Abed's TV show annoyed me because it didn't make any sense or relate to anything, though Fred Willard was good.

I liked Troy's joke on the wars (Star Wars, thumb wars) and the scene with Dean moving in next door to Jeff made me laugh, but yeah overall, damn.

Worryingly, in every review I've read, it seems the consensus among critics on the third episode is that it is far worse than History 101.

Yeah, that was much better. Nice callback to Chang's "fire can't go through walls" line.

Although you can see the difference between Harmon's Community and the new one. Take Jeff talking about Annie being his ring girl - when she crawled in he then explained why she did it wrong, which is something that never would have happened previously.

Still, Alison Brie looked amazingly hot.

Solid, well put together episode with some good laughs. I also thought the Pierce/Gilbert stuff played well and Jeff calling his dad was a really great moment.

Will say though, the "here's the deal, Jessica Biel" and "no sweat, Boba Fett" gag is getting really old.

I thought it was a funny episode. Megan Ganz is really good with the Jeff/Britta interplay; she wrote the Documentary episode with "Jeff Winger's dumb gay dad". I'm just no longer invested in where the characters are going, so Pierce/Gilbert and Jeff's dad kind of whisked past me.

Following up my awesome complaint last week about the blocking, Pierce's house felt like a converted laser-tag soundstage. Obviously that's what the budget can handle now so there's not much point in harping on it, though.

Will say though, the "here's the deal, Jessica Biel" and "no sweat, Boba Fett" gag is getting really old.

I apparently was not paying close enough attention at spots, then, 'cause that totally passed me by.

Although you can see the difference between Harmon's Community and the new one. Take Jeff talking about Annie being his ring girl - when she crawled in he then explained why she did it wrong, which is something that never would have happened previously.

Still, Alison Brie looked amazingly hot.

Yeah, that seems to be the big complaint so far-the way the characters are acting at times. And I can agree with that to some degree. All I know is that she actually startled me when she crawled into the room like that-thanks for reminding me of that creepy well scene, Annie!

And speaking of hot...Jeff's boxing getup. Guy's clearly been working out. That is all.

Also, I agree with Imperor, I loved the whole thing with his dad, too-the ending was really nice. I'm curious to see how the episode involving him finally meeting his dad will play out.

Season premiere really was a stinker. Damn.

The Halloween ep was a lot better, though. Britta's ham costume is the shit.

This used to be a good show. Keywords: used to be. I think they are trying to match Harmon's wit and perverse sense of humor, but it lacks the charm. Plus, I thought Chevy Chase was fired from the show? I was excited that they had hired Fred Willard to take his place instead, but it was all a dream... in Abed's head.

I rewatched Football, Feminism, And You tonight. Troy and Annie are great characters, Pierce has to use his business experience to develop the Human Beings mascot, the Dean makes his first official appearance to the group as a vaguely unsettling man, and Shirley and Britta have meaningful bathroom adventures. And the camera usually sits a bit further back, showing more of Greendale and the set.

I like that episode, too. It's kinda fun to go back to the first season and see how the characters have developed and changed since then. I've been in the mood to rewatch some old episodes myself-think I'll be doing that at some point this weekend.

Also, tonight's episode? I don't know where people were freaking out about how bad it was...I liked it :shrug:. The talk between Jeff and Annie at the end was sweet, and it's interesting to see Britta and Troy actually together now.

Back
Top Bottom