Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't done a direct comparison against season 3 to check this, but after watching the first 3 episodes of season 1 again it feels like the direction has definitely changed over the last several years. There used to be a lot of outdoors shots of the campus, and frames where the main characters were just one face among several students in, say, Senor Chang's class. There are definitely more overt Characters now in Greendale that fits the conventional idea of expanding the setting (like the Simpsons' Springfield), but I gotta say I liked that minimizing effect where the study group was simply a weirder group of normal students, not the front of a whole posse of misfit souls. I think the last episode of season 2 kind of rubbed me the wrong way for that reason.

And yet in seasons two and three we got far more storylines out of other characters (Magnitude, Fat Neil, Vicki, Starburns, the Dean, etc) than in season one.

I cannot wait for season four but I didn't realise that it was not just Dan Harmon who's left but also Neil Goldman, the Russo brothers, Chris McKenna...

I liked that one, too.

And yet in seasons two and three we got far more storylines out of other characters (Magnitude, Fat Neil, Vicki, Starburns, the Dean, etc) than in season one.

Which I also liked. Of course, with any show I like I tune in to see the main characters first and foremost, but it's always nice when a show can expand beyond those people and create some entertaining side characters as well, and create a weird, strange entertaining world for everyone. You need something to help explain why the main characters act and react the way they do half the time.

I cannot wait for season four but I didn't realise that it was not just Dan Harmon who's left but also Neil Goldman, the Russo brothers, Chris McKenna...

Yeah, whole mess of good names up and left. Which is sad. It is a shame that Harmon left, given that his unusual vision was what helped get the show going to begin with, but shows change showrunners all the time and he wasn't the lone reason why the show worked-it was him in connection with the writers coming up with creative, fun, crazy stories, and the cast being talented enough to bring all those ideas to life. So all those writers leaving were what actually bothered me the most, along with Chevy's little rant.

It stinks the show's gone through so many stumbling blocks in the last year, with the hiatus and the fights and people leaving, 'cause up to that point the show may not have been a ratings bonanza, but it was getting great buzz and was one of the more respected shows on TV. But there's still a few old writers around, if I recall rightly, and the cast seems pretty intent on keeping the spirit of the show intact (aside from Chevy's occasional grumblings that pop up in the news). So that certainly helps, and hopefully this new season can try and work on moving past all those struggles and go back to just being the great show we know and love. We'll see in a couple weeks how it all pans out.

It'd be hilarious, the way that network does things, if it weren't so pathetically sad.

Hopefully they will indeed wind up moving the show to a night where it might do better once they "figure out this ratings stuff" with the new shows, or whatever BS reason they have, but given this network's track record and the bizarre way they seem to handle things, I'm really not holding my breath.

Anywho, so that's just the cherry on top of an already bummer day in general, so yaaaaaaaay.

Presumably if NBC wanted to ditch the show they'd have just burned it off anyways on Fridays, even without any promotion. So I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

That's what people are pointing out, and that's certainly true and worth being hopeful about.

I'm just tired of the show getting messed with so much, basically, is all. And maybe instead of taking on god knows how many new shows, some of which are going to likely fade away before the year closes out, maybe the network should've focused on taking care of what's already on there, this show included, and maybe limited the amount of new shows they added to the lineup, or something.

I dunno. Maybe that would've helped, maybe not, but it couldn't be any more frustrating and crazy than what's currently happening.

And maybe instead of taking on god knows how many new shows, some of which are going to likely fade away before the year closes out, maybe the network should've focused on taking care of what's already on there, this show included, and maybe limited the amount of new shows they added to the lineup, or something.
shhh, don't talk common sense. you'll just confuse nbc. they need to keep following the mitt romney financial plan rather than do anything that would save money.

if they nbc were a person, they'd probably have shopped a lot thinking it was helping to prevent the recession, and then only paid off the minimum balance on their credit card thinking they'd pay off that $30k balance in a couple years. yeaaaah.

The loyalty of the fanbase is strong.

Also, this video came out today and it's funny and actually rather sweet.

[VIDEO] Community Season 4 — Troy and Abed Explain Oct. 19 Premiere - TVLine

And there's some veiled remarks about NBC in it as well, which makes me smile.

shhh, don't talk common sense. you'll just confuse nbc. they need to keep following the mitt romney financial plan rather than do anything that would save money.

if they nbc were a person, they'd probably have shopped a lot thinking it was helping to prevent the recession, and then only paid off the minimum balance on their credit card thinking they'd pay off that $30k balance in a couple years. yeaaaah.

:lol: That's a spot on analysis.

And hey, look, I was right-they've already got a couple new shows in trouble/cancelled. Gee. What a surprise.

Well well well

Chevy Chase leaving Community

Turns out it won't change too much anyway. They've got one or two eps of the 13-ep order to film and he'll be leaving early, so he'll just get written out early. Sepinwall seems to think there's little chance of a full pickup but doesn't mention a possible season five, so I'm guessing the writers have written this season as the last.

Still, woah. I just wonder if Chevy had done this way earlier, could we have been spared Harmon being kicked off the show?

Honestly, I don't know. Did it come down to either Harmon or Chase, or would Harmon have been fired no matter what because of other issues he'd had with the higher ups at the time?

Not overly surprising, but still sad-I think Chevy's handled a lot of this wrong, and if this whole thing was bothering him that much then he should've just left a long time ago. But at the same time, I still hate it when any character from a show I like leaves-he did have a good chemistry with the cast in general.

Ultimately, though, I'm just tired of hearing bad news regarding this show. It won't surprise me if this season is the show's last, I've pretty much accepted the fact that it likely will be, but if it is, I wish they were going out without all this drama and messiness surrounding them.

They've already filmed the season / series finale, so Pierce will just be absent from a couple of eps beforehand rather than written out early. Which is good, they barely have to address it in the show.

All signs I've seen point this to be the final season. Was fun while it lasted :)

On a side note, what the hell are NBC going to have on Thursday nights next season with no Office, 30 Rock or Community? Hope Parks and Rec gets renewed at the very least.

S3 DVD set is $9.99 on Amazon right now, for those interested. Glad I held out so long because that's a ridiculously good price.

Yeah, I've been remaining optimistic, too. I'm anxious for the show to (FINALLY) come back, I've missed it. And that clip further confirms my feelings-looks like it's still the show I love.

As that photo shows before you play the video itself, I'm also rather curious about that apparent tango between Jeff and Pelton for all sorts of reasons :p.

580545_10151408052483184_1334192300_n.png

Back
Top Bottom