Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found Almost Live! again on the tv (mid 90s sketch comedy show, airs after SNL in the Seattle area), and Joel McDreamy Joel McHale was starring in a few sketches. It was really weird seeing him circa 1996, because tonally/physically he's playing the polar opposite from today's confident/vain persona. He was skinny, was losing hair up top and made up for it with longer blonde hair. And in the sketch he was a hen-pecked fiancee trying to make wedding decisions.

So yeah, Joel McHale and Bill Nye- Almost Live alumns!

WFEmz.jpg

this is the darkest timeline:

tumblr_luu9p5JJoI1r6z7edo1_500.jpg

I found Almost Live! again on the tv (mid 90s sketch comedy show, airs after SNL in the Seattle area), and Joel McDreamy Joel McHale was starring in a few sketches. It was really weird seeing him circa 1996, because tonally/physically he's playing the polar opposite from today's confident/vain persona. He was skinny, was losing hair up top and made up for it with longer blonde hair. And in the sketch he was a hen-pecked fiancee trying to make wedding decisions.

So yeah, Joel McHale and Bill Nye- Almost Live alumns!

Must. Hunt. This. Down.

:giggle: at your change to his name.

I have the next four days off from work. I'm thinking a "Community" DVD marathon's in order :yes:.

I watched a bunch of Almost Live when I first moved out here, because back then I used to stay up to watch SNL, and I just kept staying up to watch whatever was on after it!

Never did catch one with Joel McHale, though. I don't think so, anyway.

Just so y'all know, 30 Rock premiered in Community's timeslot and got pretty much identical numbers at 8 PM. It's clearly the damn fact that a show in that slot has to compete against Big Bang Theory although I can't for the life of me understand how there is any overlap at all between viewers of multi and single camera comedies.

More importantly, NBC's average has consistently dipped enough over the course of the season that Community's numbers keep looking better and better the further along we get. I don't think we should be worried about missing out on Season 4 unless the next batch of episodes absolutely tank for whatever reason.

After all the hubbub on the interwebs, upcoming episodes absolutely tanking can't be that likely.

yep, i never understand why stations can't understand why they can't compete with some (comparatively) powerhouse of a show. it's like when fox stuck the last four arrested development episodes in one two-hour block against the opening of the olympics. i mean yeah by that point fox was already done with the show but still, come on.

not the best example, but it's the best i can think of at the moment. but yeah.

So the only question that remains is, how moronically stupid are the people running the TV stations? (I can ask that now, since New South Wales is on hiatus)

Highly, moronically stupid.

And it affects all the networks, as you say-on ABC, that show "Work It" you mentioned a while back already got pulled after two episodes. They put all that effort into creating a total ripoff show that nobody approved of to begin with that only wound up lasting two episodes. I hear about complete wastes of time and money like that and I want to tell the networks to shut the hell up the next time they complain about financial struggles.

But in regards to NBC, I'd highly recommend the book "The War For Late Night" by Bill Carter if you can find it, cobl. That pretty much will answer everything you want to know about that channel's executives' mind-numbing idiocy. When my mom found out "Community' was on that channel she said, "They went to NBC with that show?! That's brave." How eerily prophetic she was.

Highly, moronically stupid.

And it affects all the networks, as you say-on ABC, that show "Work It" you mentioned a while back already got pulled after two episodes. They put all that effort into creating a total ripoff show that nobody approved of to begin with that only wound up lasting two episodes. I hear about complete wastes of time and money like that and I want to tell the networks to shut the hell up the next time they complain about financial struggles.

But in regards to NBC, I'd highly recommend the book "The War For Late Night" by Bill Carter if you can find it, cobl. That pretty much will answer everything you want to know about that channel's executives' mind-numbing idiocy. When my mom found out "Community' was on that channel she said, "They went to NBC with that show?! That's brave." How eerily prophetic she was.
god, i had never heard of work it. when you get that many bad reviews - truly scathing ones, then you need to just say never mind, let's not air this crap. according to wikipedia (there's no source though), ign gave out its first zero for the pilot. that's bad. and you're right, they'll waste time and money on shit like that, but then whine about not having money.

hell, network tv as a whole is largely fucked. daytime tv (yeah i watch a soap, wanna fight about it) is like that too. half the soaps that existed five years ago have been cancelled, including ones that existed before even my parents were born, before tv even existed. i only watch one, but the writing's become so awful and has taken on so many actors from other cancelled soaps that it can no longer afford to keep one of their most popular actors on year-round, because they refused to take a pay cut. it's all so nuts.

hmm, i'm going to have to give that book a read. i never read the late shift, but i saw the movie back in the day. that was interesting then, and my how things have changed since.

Whoa, really? Cool! What'd she say?

I've held out on getting a Twitter account, but man, stuff like that makes me really want to rethink that idea.

Aw, Lila, you can come and mourn alongside my mom. Different soap in my mom's case ("All My Children"), but still...

god, i had never heard of work it. when you get that many bad reviews - truly scathing ones, then you need to just say never mind, let's not air this crap. according to wikipedia (there's no source though), ign gave out its first zero for the pilot. that's bad. and you're right, they'll waste time and money on shit like that, but then whine about not having money.

Exactly. There's no sense to it.

hell, network tv as a whole is largely fucked. daytime tv (yeah i watch a soap, wanna fight about it) is like that too. half the soaps that existed five years ago have been cancelled, including ones that existed before even my parents were born, before tv even existed. i only watch one, but the writing's become so awful and has taken on so many actors from other cancelled soaps that it can no longer afford to keep one of their most popular actors on year-round, because they refused to take a pay cut. it's all so nuts.

Ha, to add to the crazy, the cast of "All My Children" DID take a pay cut, because ABC moved the show to California to "cut costs". Meanwhile, a good portion of the cast did not live in California, but rather over on the east coast, in places like New York and such, and had to fly back and forth a lot. And there were still a few that couldn't do that, let alone wouldn't, so they either left the show or came on every great once in a while (which, if you love the character, is irritating, to only see them sporadically).

But even though the cast bent over backwards to make all their concessions to help keep that show financially afloat, they still couldn't do enough, and "All My Children" got replaced with yet another in the endless stream of daytiime talk shows about cooking and "bettering your life" and crap like that, so now in place of "AMC" we have "The Chew", whose ratings aren't that hot, but for some reason, the channel's gonna keep that one going and leave loyal fans of a long-running show annoyed.

I mean, obviously a show can't last forever, that's not the problem. It's the fact that a show isn't ending not because it's simply its time, but because of stupid decisions on the part of the networks to get rid of certain shows and put crap ones on because they're "cheaper" or whatever. If there's a good reason to end a show, fine. But if there's not, it's frustrating.

hmm, i'm going to have to give that book a read. i never read the late shift, but i saw the movie back in the day. that was interesting then, and my how things have changed since.

The hilarious part of the whole thing is how NBC heads state, over and over and over again, how they are absolutely, positively determined NOT to repeat the Letterman/Leno issue...only to then turn around and make the exact same mistake, just with Conan/Leno instead.

None of that fiasco thankfully affected my favorite late night hosts, but it still affected a lot of people well beyond Leno and Conan.

The whole thing's just crazy. And yet people who work in TV still can't understand why everyone's turning to internet and DVR and DVDs and such.

On a significantly lighter note, I just finished the second night of going through and watching the entire first season of this show again. Good way to kill a few hours late at night. I'm surprised I haven't woke my mom, 'cause there's moments I'm seriously just busting out laughing.

Oh she replies to nearly everyone, so nothing special. :lol: just said I was a fan from Australia, and asked what I can do to help. She said "Truly don't know. But iTunes and DVD sales couldn't hurt the cause. ;)"

We went for the $35 seats (+ fees) which is Rows F-S, still downstairs. Not a fan of Zooey. If anything else, I would have gone for Modern Family, but it was a weeknight, and just didn't have the money for multiple panels.

Ha, to add to the crazy, the cast of "All My Children" DID take a pay cut, because ABC moved the show to California to "cut costs". Meanwhile, a good portion of the cast did not live in California, but rather over on the east coast, in places like New York and such, and had to fly back and forth a lot. And there were still a few that couldn't do that, let alone wouldn't, so they either left the show or came on every great once in a while (which, if you love the character, is irritating, to only see them sporadically).

But even though the cast bent over backwards to make all their concessions to help keep that show financially afloat, they still couldn't do enough, and "All My Children" got replaced with yet another in the endless stream of daytiime talk shows about cooking and "bettering your life" and crap like that, so now in place of "AMC" we have "The Chew", whose ratings aren't that hot, but for some reason, the channel's gonna keep that one going and leave loyal fans of a long-running show annoyed.

I mean, obviously a show can't last forever, that's not the problem. It's the fact that a show isn't ending not because it's simply its time, but because of stupid decisions on the part of the networks to get rid of certain shows and put crap ones on because they're "cheaper" or whatever. If there's a good reason to end a show, fine. But if there's not, it's frustrating.
oh wow, that's ridiculous. the only soap i've ever really watched is y&r since like, god i think since like 1996 or something. i've sporadically watched others a little that my mom's watched over the years in addition to that one if i've been in the room when they've been on too, but yeah.

and god, don't get me started on these replacements. cbs replaced their cancelled soaps with game shows, abc replaced theirs with lame talk shows. let's also not forget one is a carbon copy of the view (i'm surprised they didn't be even more obvious and pick a synonym of the word view), the other is a foodie version with a name that freaking rhymes with view. i don't even like the view, but come on. show some originality. but yeah, these lame shows are of course cheaper to produce, even if they pull less viewers i guess.

it just ticks me off when a show like guiding light, which had been on since the days of radio, gets cancelled simply because the network decides it's cheaper to revive an old game show. it's not like it has to stay on forever just because of its history, but to cancel it just because you found something cheaper to put in its place is stupid.

The hilarious part of the whole thing is how NBC heads state, over and over and over again, how they are absolutely, positively determined NOT to repeat the Letterman/Leno issue...only to then turn around and make the exact same mistake, just with Conan/Leno instead.

None of that fiasco thankfully affected my favorite late night hosts, but it still affected a lot of people well beyond Leno and Conan.

The whole thing's just crazy. And yet people who work in TV still can't understand why everyone's turning to internet and DVR and DVDs and such.
oh, exactly. the conan/leno fiasco showed leno in a different light for me. i always thought leno seemed like he'd be the nicer guy of the two (the other being letterman, that is). but he knew what he was doing all along with this crap with conan the second he had them create that lame jay leno show.

exactly. in my case, i unfortunately have to turn to the internet for some shows, but any show that i really really like, i always end up buying it on dvd. it's not like himym or big bang theory really need my support, but it's nice to be able to watch particular episodes when i want, rather than waiting months for it to air again.

Oh she replies to nearly everyone, so nothing special. :lol: just said I was a fan from Australia, and asked what I can do to help. She said "Truly don't know. But iTunes and DVD sales couldn't hurt the cause. ;)"

Ah. Eh, still cool :). I like that she takes time to respond to everybody, she seems really sweet.

oh wow, that's ridiculous. the only soap i've ever really watched is y&r since like, god i think since like 1996 or something. i've sporadically watched others a little that my mom's watched over the years in addition to that one if i've been in the room when they've been on too, but yeah.

Yeah. I mean, of course, soap operas may not have the same relevance to today's generation that they did to people who grew up on such things, there's all sorts of reasons for their decline...

...but still, to leave loyal fans in the dust like that sucks, no matter what.

and god, don't get me started on these replacements. cbs replaced their cancelled soaps with game shows, abc replaced theirs with lame talk shows. let's also not forget one is a carbon copy of the view (i'm surprised they didn't be even more obvious and pick a synonym of the word view), the other is a foodie version with a name that freaking rhymes with view. i don't even like the view, but come on. show some originality. but yeah, these lame shows are of course cheaper to produce, even if they pull less viewers i guess.

"The Talk". Ergh. Yes. I saw that show once when someone I like was to be on there. I'd sooner have watched "The View", and I'm not crazy about that show. At least the people on "View" go off their "have to say this to appeal to suburban moms and avoid controversy" type script every now and again and say something honest. I turned it after the person I like finished up.

it just ticks me off when a show like guiding light, which had been on since the days of radio, gets cancelled simply because the network decides it's cheaper to revive an old game show. it's not like it has to stay on forever just because of its history, but to cancel it just because you found something cheaper to put in its place is stupid.

Exactly.

oh, exactly. the conan/leno fiasco showed leno in a different light for me. i always thought leno seemed like he'd be the nicer guy of the two (the other being letterman, that is). but he knew what he was doing all along with this crap with conan the second he had them create that lame jay leno show.

Yeah, he was surprisingly conniving at times. Which is strange, given his whole "working-class appearance". Both guys had their less than pleasant moments in the limelight during that whole mess, though, honestly-when it got to the point where everyone was insulting each other on their shows, I was like, "Wow, how old are we now, guys?" I understand being mad, but still...

exactly. in my case, i unfortunately have to turn to the internet for some shows, but any show that i really really like, i always end up buying it on dvd. it's not like himym or big bang theory really need my support, but it's nice to be able to watch particular episodes when i want, rather than waiting months for it to air again.

Agreed. My family's got a nice little list of shows we want to start collecting on DVD, some old, some new. Plus, no commercials, either.

Another thing I'd suggest-NBC owns so many other channels, so does ABC and such...I'm thinking they could definitely save on costs if they didn't feel the need to buy up every channel in existence. Monopolies suck.

Back
Top Bottom