Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See it bothered me that they were doing a parody for parody's sake since even their most referential episodes have been filled with character development, but I'm giving them a pass since this is a Law & Order parody and Dick Wolf's motto is "no character development". It's a (pardon me) cop out, but (again, sorry) I'll allow it. Also, shoehorning the death into the last second is exactly how procedural shows do "serialization" so even that added to the perfect parody. It's just laced with subtle nods to tropes of that series down to the camera work & the working stiffs going about their business finding a dead body setup, and the first suspect being exonerated, and the last second shock in the courtroom. So much going on.

"Is that why you beat your wife? Withdrawn!"
"Is that why you drink & pop pills? Withdrawn!"
"Is it true you're a virgin? Withdrawn!"

Also, Michael K. Williams yelling "Holy crap!" was far funnier than it should have been. :lol: Plus we got a direct Omar reference with "a man's got to have a code".

Greendale Community College is represented by two separate yet equally important types of people: the goofballs that run around stirring up trouble, and the eggheads that make a big deal out of it. These are their stories.

See it bothered me that they were doing a parody for parody's sake since even their most referential episodes have been filled with character development, but I'm giving them a pass since this is a Law & Order parody and Dick Wolf's motto is "no character development".

The one thing I shall agree with you on. But eh, yeah, sometimes it's nice for a series to just have goofy random fun, especially since the last few episodes have had some rather weighty subject matter going on.

Did not know that about the Dick Wolf thing-clever (also clever: the title of the episode. I read over at the AV Club how that was a play on Dick Wolf's name...I'm very slow, apparently, 'cause I did not catch that at all until it was pointed out in that review).

Plus we got a direct Omar reference with "a man's got to have a code".

I did a backflip over this, which is disconcerting considering I was laying down when watching it. Hopefully this means Giancarlo Esposito will drop some Gus on us in the finale.

Could be a vote of confidence, but the schedule for that night is a mess, & much as the prospect of 3 episodes of Community in one night excites me, that's also shoving the last few we get out all at once. Possibly forever. :sad:

though doing community-30 rock-community-community is stupid. i know why they're doing it like that, since normally on thursdays it's community-30 rock. i'm not saying they should switch spots because that'd confuse people and would mess up the ratings for both shows, but to break up the episodes like that seems weird. i guess since it wasn't shot to be a 90 minute episode (or even one 30 minute and a 60 minute episode) it doesn't matter, but it's odd.

i just hope, like ph24 said, that smooshing them together doesn't mean that's it forever. i remember that's what they did for the finale of arrested development, stupidly up against the fucking winter olympics. that was just fox's way of showing they didn't give a shit about the show anymore, but still. i'm sure if it does get renewed then next season will be their last, but i just want them to have a proper goodbye.

i just want them to have a proper goodbye.

This.

Yeah, some people say it could be a vote of confidence, putting it in sweeps week like that, and I hope that's what this move means.

But yes, I'm with you guys in general here. Ugh, I wish we could just get a definite answer one way or another on their renewal now so I could know how happy or nervous/sad to feel.

I'm not worried that it's a burn off like Arrested Development, that was against the Olympic opening ceremonies on top of already being scheduled on a Friday. This is NBC moving it up into Sweeps week and not sticking with the 2 hour finale of Awake. I'd say it has a lot more to do with that than either confidence or lack thereof in Community. The syndication deal with Sony (and how they worked deals to keep Chuck around for less money on NBC's bill so they'd all make more money with more episodes to syndicate, NBC's inability to launch new series, Community's DVR & Hulu-watching/DVD and merchandise-buying cult audience, all suggest the odds are in its favor to return.

That said, the upcoming episode title "Introduction to Finality" while likely a joke, is rather unsettling.

What powerhour said. Yeah fwiw im not worried about may. I think we have season 4 already regardless.

I loved this episode.

And I didn't realize that bio professor was Omar until last night. (Probably because I hadn't yet seen The Wire before he popped up on the show.)

That said, the upcoming episode title "Introduction to Finality" while likely a joke, is rather unsettling.

They talked about working on their episodes during the hiatus at that PaleyFest thing, maybe titles were among the things being tweaked? Maybe they came up with that one during the hiatus, out of worry and just on the off chance that they did have to end things this season.

I miss John Oliver so much :(

Me, too. He needs to come back again (I was actually a little worried he might be among the list of possible characters being killed off-don't know what all else John's got on his plate, if he'd ever come back).

More reason to hate (OK, not hate, but have extreme jealousy for) Lila, Madeleine, and anyone else that lives in L.A. Alison Brie's band, The Girls, will perform at the Nerdist Theater at Meltdown on May 5.

If you go, take pics! And video. :sexywink:

Man, I need to go live where they live.

Meant to say this earlier, but in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly they have a page that talks about all the little details and such that were part of the latest episode. There was a LOT of thought (and a couple happy accidents) put into the show, and it makes me appreciate the episode that much more, I think. It's pretty neat, would recommend giving it a look.

I'll see if it's online, too, for those who may not be able to get this issue.

I'm sure you still enjoyed it right?

There were a lot of tropes that are minutely specific to Law & Order, down to how they mic'ed the actors, & Abed/Shirley instantly take on the characteristics of specific characters in their play-acting, with Jeff and Annie somewhat fitting the weary prosecutor McCoy and Annie being one of his train of ambitious to a fault Assistant District Attorneys. That and the "coroner" was actually one of the coroners from Law & Order, and the show creator's model was all about 0 character development and completely procedural so that anytime they wanted to add any serialization it was tacked on at the very last second (the Starburns death here).

But I'm assuming it's still hilarious just for the jokes, and how far the whole Greendale community takes this. Right?

Shirley :lol:

Between tonight's episode and the one 30 Rock gave us....well, we can all agree that network television is far, far weirder than anybody twenty years ago would have expected. :lol:

I didn't catch that! I heard him singing, but didn't catch the tune. That makes me smile.

today's episode had me being all like say whaaaaat. definitely wasn't seeing all this with the fake dean and the whole group getting expelled.

Yeah, no kidding, what the hell? Darkest timeline, indeed.

I won't lie, that ending with all of them sitting around the table together made me incredibly sad. I REALLY hope that episode was just written for them to get out whatever nervous, uncertain feelings they had during the hiatus, 'cause otherwise, that's one hell of a potentially ominous omen.

I like Chang in small doses - his slack-jawed bailiff last week was a hilarious background bit. And I do like the mini riot squad. I was annoyed by him last night.

this is progress!

I loved that episode. Definitely had me laughing from the start to the end. Jeff's contempt for Britta's psych bullshit. ("Name any other stage.") Every single thing that Troy did. Everything that the Dean did. "Someone has to sing Ave Maria! I guess I could do it, whatever." Garrett singing and getting maced. Changtongue. Remedial Chaos callback.

But my favourite line for the night was Pierce's - "It was Fat Neil's blacklight party. Vicki saw you." Loved that it was Pierce who knows and says that.

With that ending though I'm really annoyed I can't watch the remaining episodes all in one hit now. I need to know what happens.

On may 17 they are airing the last three episodes of the season so that will be quite the event. Now is also the time for NBC to make up its damn mind already and renew or not.

Back
Top Bottom