Caprica (POLITICALLY INSIGHTFUL TV series) for 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, deep. I skimmed your answer, but I don't want to fully read it because I like to be surprised and I'm terrible at predicting stuff. Your guess could prove true.

My favorite parts comedically were when Daniel Graystone has Serge applaud his basketball-type game (Pyramid, I think). Also, when he was joking with his wife about why he wanted to leave Serge alone with the U-80. Very subtle humor.

I loved Aponowicz's acting. She's very likeable. I like that she's from a more working class background, allowing the writers to explore class issues. I wasn't so sure about the Polly Walker subplot. I guess she's like a mentor or teacher in one of these radical madrassas in the Islamic world who lure in young people.

I loved how William is being taught the wrong lessons by his uncle and the creepiness of him manipulating his father's guilt. I didn't get how you could just pay a fine to avoid prison, though.

I loved the ending with Amanda confessing that her daughter was responsible; she was so shocked at this info and just reacted out of guilt; she was reaching out. Quite terrifying for the Graystones!

Not BSG Season 1 good, but pretty good. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Excited about next week's ep. I've looked it up and it's directed by Ronald D. Moore, the father of all BSG, and written by the amazing Michael Angeli, lover of Radiohead; he created Romo Lampkin. Amazing writer!

It's important to note that these first 2 post-pilot eps were written in Fall 2008, when the network was trying to decide if it wanted to go to series and wanted an example of where the show could take off from.

I agree it is not as good as BSG season 1, but it is very good.

Don't worry about my questions about if any Greystrokes make it to the Cylons, my speculations have a way of being way off.

I thought I had Lost figured out early on and was not even close to the direction they went.

I can kind of see a parallel with the Cylons and Christians
we have the believers in the one true God being resurrected and having eternal life

And Zoe was referred to as the Trinity, and also we have one of the guys saying that code that is written can outlive the author,
I'd say Zoe wrote the code or scripture that is the keys to the kingdom.

and even our Canadian channels require cable to watch them properly.

thanks.... :)

wow, at least here -- well, actually,NOT Always b/c buildings and stuff can mess up a signal and you have to keep moving the antennae around a lot -- a lot of the time you can watch free TV without or little problems.
At least the channels that you can get easily while you have to do the antennae swivel dance for others!:grumpy::lol:

Hopefully by the fall I'll be able to get Internet connection. I have so many interests that The Net is an never-ending source of fun, silliness, beautiful photos, and good & helpful information of all kinds!:D

Episode ruined by what I imagine are Jane Espenson's add-ons.

The main story involving Joseph Adama and the two Graystone parents was very good. Maybe an 8.5.

However, so many things were poorly written, acted and cliche.

1. The talk show host is still a terrible idea and poorly acted by Patton Oswalt, who can't act!
2. Lacy's scenes at school with the kids harassing her were uninteresting. The boy who looked at her funny is a terrible actor! The scene in which she pinned him down and threatened to beat him up was ridiculous and uninteresting.
3. Sister Clarice continues to bore me, and using that Robotech-style voice for the ultra bad guy was cheesy. You can hear an example on Robotech at 1:53 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOvYzwmjek0
This seems a cheap way to avoid her character being blamed for anything. It's like they do on "Lost" by having some hierarchy of greater and greater "evil" as you go up the totem pole, so that when you explore a seemingly bad character, you find out they weren't that responsible, but that someone more important and more "evil" was influencing their actions.

It's poor writing because it's a moral cop-out. You don't have to go dark enough and examine real issues because the suspected character didn't actually do it. I feel they're doing that with Zoe. Instead of examining why a terrorist would do this through Ben (who is acted poorly as well!), they just avoid the issue because Zoe never intended to kill anyone. I'm not defending blowing up civilians, but I am saying that they should explore the mindset and potential political reasons that might make someone so angry. It's the same reason why we should examine why US soldiers committed atrocities in Vietnam (Mai Lai) or Iraq (Haditha) or the phenomenon of going Columbine. By the way, years ago there was a great documentary by Frontline called "Killer at Thurston High" that showed how much in pain the kid who shot his mother and schoolmates was.
4. I really liked the bald FBI-type guy, especially in the very good pilot, but here he's not interesting. And his female partner is cliche.
5. The scenes with William Adama hanging around the mafia guys was boring, as was the gay married couple scene. Just nothing to it.
6. Luciana Carro is not a very good actress and she shouldn't have been cast.

The good stuff again involved the Adama parents. It was kinda neat seeing Zoe pressure Lacy to help her, but it felt a bit uninteresting, dialogue-wise. I really liked the idea of Zoe implying that Adama's daughter was some kind of avatar her dad had sex with; very creepy. I really liked the scene between the judge and Adama. I loved the ending in which Adama shocked the heck out of me in wanting the female medical doctor Graystone killed.

I know Michael Angeli is an amazing writer and so is Ronald D. Moore, which makes me heavily suspect that Angeli's script was severely altered and Moore didn't bother to rewrite it. Espenson is ruining this show fast! And to be fair, Ron Moore didn't cast this thing very well or make very good artistic decisions.

7.7 out of 10

I agree it is not as good as BSG season 1, but it is very good.

Don't worry about my questions about if any Greystrokes make it to the Cylons, my speculations have a way of being way off.

I thought I had Lost figured out early on and was not even close to the direction they went.

I can kind of see a parallel with the Cylons and Christians
we have the believers in the one true God being resurrected and having eternal life

And Zoe was referred to as the Trinity, and also we have one of the guys saying that code that is written can outlive the author,
I'd say Zoe wrote the code or scripture that is the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I liked that trinity thing, too, but hopefully they'll draw parallels to all monotheistic religions and not just Christianity.

I remember Ron Moore did an interview a few years ago in which he found historically that monotheistic religions had a tendency to be much more moralistic and intolerant than polytheistic ones. I had never thought of things that way and I thought it was a very thought-provoking point to make in our monotheistic-dominated media.

New episode of Caprica today at 9 pm Eastern on both Syfy and Space in Canada.

If you listen to the podcasts, things aren't expected to get amazing until Episode 8.

Those idiots on Space got the time wrong. It's 10pm Eastern, not 9pm. I hate CTV owning this channel.

Review of “Gravedancing”

While this episode is slightly better than last week’s and this show is the best on TV, after “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad”, they all pale in comparison to Battlestar Galactica’s drama-heavy episodes.

The problem upon which I commented last week was that the supporting characters were boring or off-track, while the main cast was engaging. This week, supporting characters like the police and talk show host Baxter Sarno are more interesting, but the main cast declined in interest.

Patton Oswalt performed quite well as Sarno. I liked the old fashion music in the background of his show. I retract my earlier contention that he is a bad actor; he’s not incredible, but quite fine. I’m still not sure how I feel about this venue, but it’s an interesting idea.

I liked the police chief and the drive conveyed by his subordinate, police investigator Jordan Duram, much of which might have been owed to better dialogue than the previous episode. I especially liked how their discussions brought up issues of violating the Greystones’ rights for the sake of security. However, this theme wasn’t pushed hard enough or discussed in a thought-provoking way for the audience to think about the real world. Hopefully, future installments will.

The scenes between Lacy and her schoolmate, Keon, were painfully dull. Having her get in his good graces by helping him fix a motorcycle was an uninspired choice. The actor playing Keon isn't quite as bad as I felt in my previous review, but he doesn’t convey much range of emotion. There's never any stress in his reactions, as one would expect. Seeing Lacy brush against his arm thanking him, it’s disappointingly predictable that she will have feelings for him and they will become a potential couple, which is very uninteresting. Magda Aponowicz is a very good actress and it’s a shame to see her talents wasted on this subplot.

While there is something slightly cliché about the scientist obsessed with his creation, I still didn’t mind the idea of having the technician teach cylon/Zoe-A how to dance. Yet, while I appreciated that the writer or director wanted the scene to go on long enough to capture their chemisty, it went on for too long and didn’t make any real sense because she wasn’t copying any of his moves. It was sweet, though.

What was tacky and in the embarrassingly over-the-top style of “Buffy” and its creator Joss Whedon's writing was having the technician look at the robot and compliment it on its chest. It was as though the audience was supposed to giggle, “Oh, if only he knew that there’s a female teen in there and it's like he’s talking about her breasts!” The entire line was written for the double entendre. Why would he compliment the robot’s chest, anyway? He did no restructuring of any kind and didn’t design it. It’s just silly. This is surely due to Jane Espenson, who heavily rewrote Michael Angeli's surely superior script beyond all recognition. David Eick and Ron Moore deserve blame for either participating in this decision or allowing it to happen.

So far in this series, the surprising plot twists pale in comparison with the average Battlestar Galactica episode both in their number and effectiveness; Battlestar was able to have twists that were more unpredictable as well as to have more of them. In Caprica, it seems as though one can guess what the possible twist will be. That is, one can predict the likely outcome or, at least, what the dialectic of a given situation -- the range of outcomes -- will be. For example, the biggest dramatic component to this episode was supposed to be about whether Sam Adams would kill Amanda Greystone or not. From the outset, I knew it would not happen because she is a major cast member and this is early in the series. Consequently, I knew that this limitation would manifest itself dramatically in either Sam being unable to carry out the order or he or Joseph having a change of heart. The absence of any truly surprising turns in the story has been a problem since after the pilot and I fear this will remain due to the lack of more imaginative supervision from Jane Espenson, who for all her admirable talents, pales in comparison to the genius of Ronald D. Moore.

I really liked the idea that Amanda Greystone managed to save her life by appearing on Sarno’s show in a selfless effort to help her husband and the memory of her daughter.

I also liked the twist of having Joseph Adama’s mother-in-law actually encourage Willie to think in the short-term; I cringed when she asked what he wanted to do in life, but rejoiced when she clarified that she wasn’t referring to some long-term goal but a present-day aim. I was quite shocked to hear her provide advice to solicit his gangster uncle to help him reach his goal; encourage him to think one gets more in life by threats than friendship; and express to Joseph her desire to see her daughter and grand-daughter’s deaths avenged through Amada Greystone’s death. This last twist, however, somehow felt a bit forced, as though something more subtle were needed in her character. I realize that the writers sought to emphasize the twist in Joseph Adams of realizing he wouldn’t be able to live with the guilt of having ordered Amanda killed, but having his mother-in-law, say, “I could kill her with my bare hands and sleep well every night, couldn’t you?” without any sense of irony was preposterous. People don’t speak like that. It was an on-the-nose way to illustrate what Joseph was thinking; another way should have been found to show his reconsideration. Perhaps subsequent weeks will reveal more about her – as did this episode. She's one of the show’s best characters and certainly more interesting than boring old Sister Clarice, whose best moment in the post-pilot series has been to collapse on her school’s hallway floor and shriek very believably in this episode. I particularly liked how this scene was filmed from a far.

The episode’s first scene between Daniel and Amanda was wonderfully written – from the texture of him asking her about his clothing to her outburst that led to a very uneasy and dramatically satisfying argument. Yet the final scene between Amanda and Daniel Greystone was disappointing. It felt like more of the same mourning for Zoe and I didn’t feel that the writing or accompanying music was trying to emphasize the disturbing fact that Daniel was misleading his wife into believing that he and not their daughter had created the avatar. The dialogue didn’t reach the heights of “Battlestar Galactia” and ended with the usual humorous moments of levity between them, which felt a bit formulaic, though it was far more enjoyable to watch.

Ron Moore considered the Battlestar Galactica Season Three episode “A Day in the Life” to be a failure that supposedly required cutting to tension-driven action to add interest to an otherwise drama-heavy story that was not appropriate for this series. However, I completely disagreed. I found the action elements quite a bother and found the story about William Adama reflecting upon his troubled relationship with his wife and the effect of their subsequent divorce on their children absolutely engrossing. It was a fresh and surprising take on the subject and very realistic. What Ron Moore had considered a weak episode was, in fact, a far better written and acted drama than what I’ve seen so far on Caprica, and that’s a shame for this new series, whose very specialty is publicized as drama.

8.2 out of 10

Based on the podcasts and some info I've obtained from writers on the show and the fact that Jane Espenson moved off as manager of the writers' room halfway through the season and that there was a major shut down, it could be that Syfy realized this, too. The pace of the original scripts by the amazing Mark Verheiden and the incredible Michael Angeli were cannibalized and spread out over several episodes to slow things down foolishly.

Even David Eick and director Jonas Pate and amazing BSG writer Michael Taylor say that things get a lot better around Episode 7 when the pace picks up. Taylor wrote the last 2 eps of this half season which are Eps 7 and 8 if you don't count the pilot; the first post-pilot ep is Episode 1.

Syfy VP of network programming Mark Stern said, in response to my question of whether they'd take back former BSG writers, "in a heartbeat!" So, it sounds like those writers perhaps wanted to leave. It's Ron Moore's fault for jumping ship.

Let's try and stick around until then. David Eick swears that the Eric Stoltz-directed Episode 10 (which will air in July or August 2010) is AMAZING.

Review of “There is Another Sky”
By far the best post-pilot episode yet has finally delivered on the kind of texture, quality of dialogue, political commentary, and genuine surprises for which I had hoped from this series and come to rely on "Battlestar Galactica."

This episode focused on the two main sets of characters, the Graystones and particularly the Adamas, thankfully eschewing the dull subplots of Sister Clarice and Lacy. No matter how good an actress Magda Aponowicz is, I don’t know if I can stand one more scene with Keon.

A major storyline was Tamra’s discovery of the virtual world (V-World) in which she is trapped. In this installment, she encountered a fellow teenager who expressed how the V-World’s games meant more to him, in many ways, than his own life, which he tried to avoid. Although I would have liked this psychological portrait fleshed out a bit more, I still admired these moments for the commentary they provided on how our society is increasingly dependent on living through the internet. I don't participate in the online game “Second Life” or any virtual reality stuff. Yet I recognize the teen’s depiction as justifiable criticism of even the degree to which I conduct my life through the internet – investing more time in online connections with people whom there is no pressure to meet face to face – due to difficulties in and social anxiety about the real world.

I was worried that Tamra’s behavior and ability to manipulate the V-World might resemble the film “The Matrix” a bit too much. However, I’ll give this aspect of the show the benefit of the doubt in hopes that the writers will be imaginative enough to avoid the pitfalls of mimicking it and, thereby, being less original. Genevieve Buechner, the actress who plays Tamra, does a very good job; I didn’t recognize her at all from her role on “The 4400” as Lily’s biological daughter. She’s convincingly conveys trepidation one moment and defensive aggression the next. I enjoyed the shock of watching this otherwise innocent and defenseless-looking teen suddenly react to indications that players she had just helped would force her to work for them by shooting them. Perhaps, though, her strut at the end of the episode was a tad over-confident and strangely sexy for her character.

The Adams family plot was well written, for the most part. I did think that Joseph’s son Willie and brother Sam were a little hard on him. Why was it such a big deal that Sam had to come over to get Willie ready for school? Who wouldn’t need help from one’s family to get over the death of loved ones? I was shocked at the way Sam abetted Willie’s school absences with the excuse that Joseph wasn’t being a good enough father and was “losing” him and at how Willie so flagrantly disobeyed his father; Willie clicking his pen repeatedly against his father’s wishes was a nice touch. Perhaps Sam’s harshness is to be taken as a character flaw, but I get a sense that the writers imply that he’s the good guy in all this. Still, however much I sympathized with Joseph’s pain and found his behavior quite realistic, I also could relate to Willie being deathly embarrassed of being in public with his father. I found the way Willie violently responded to racial slurs of nearby teens overly aggressive, but understandable nonetheless; I have never been subjected to that kind of overt racism and can only imagine the pain building up from constant bullying. I suppose that explains why Sam’s penchant for emphasizing Tauron identity appealed to Willie – because elements of Caprican society refused to accept him. This is the very plight many discriminated minorities face in the West and, one assumes, the world over.

I thought the funeral for Tamra and Mrs. Adams was very well acted and nicely written with lots of atmosphere conveyed by the director. I must admit to cringing every time I am reminded that tattoo-making is a celebratory part of Tauron culture because I find them gaudy. Although I wasn’t as moved as I felt I maybe should have been, it could have had something to do with the knowledge that Tamra was alive, in a sense, through her avatar. It was predictable that the message from the boy who knew Tamra in the virtual world would interfere with Joseph’s attempts to find closure. What I didn’t expect was the fashion in which the boy barely explained his connection to Tamra, and then ran away. Yet his terrified and confused reaction was very convincing, and that made this dramatic move very effective and more satisfying than if the boy disclosed everything patiently.

The subplot involving Daniel Graystone and his attempt to keep his job as CEO of his company was easily my favorite storyline - being wonderfully handled and beautifully-written dialogue-wise. I loved the commentary on my age group's illegal activity on the internet via downloads, etcetera; I couldn't help but nod at my peers’ selfish notion of expecting to have everything for free. Graystone’s idea of producing hardware that can’t be stolen online reminded me of how musicians and record companies are presently trying to offer deluxe editions of albums in an effort to entice consumers to buy them legally instead of illegally downloading the songs of an otherwise basic album. In this sense, his solution to the obstacles of profiting off the virtual world by selling hardware felt believable.

I especially loved how this episode exposed the selfish short-term thinking of private corporations. Being inherently profit-driven, they create a system of incentives that defeat attempts to look after the public good and that lead to exploitation. Indeed, Daniel Graystone’s altruistic desire to improve conditions in the V-World by promising to stop Graystone Industries from charging access to it was greeted with plans by his company’s board of directors to replace him as CEO. This oncoming coup, in turn, motivated Daniel to keep his job and power by adopting the short-sighted strategy of offering sentient cylons as a means of marketable slave labor. He even went so far as to argue that humans’ tendency to anthropomorphize – to attribute human characteristics to – the cylons would add to their appeal. Given his implication that the more human the cylons seem the more popular they’ll be, one wonders if he thinks this course of technological development might actually make the cylons more human. However – in all honesty – I would never have regarded the cylons as “human” in the manner we discover on Battlestar Galactica were I in Graystone’s place or have thought of their ill-treatment as cruel. One could justifiably argue that this path aims to lessen human exposure to dangerous working conditions, though his presentation’s framing of cylons as a profitable endeavor also implies that their use might increase unemployment. Daniel proving the cylon’s subservience to him and against its very self-interest by ordering it to tear off its arm was stunning visually and disturbing due to our realization that Zoe was inside it. It made me wonder whether she felt physical pain and, if not, whether she really minded ripping her arm off, knowing it would eventually be reattached. The exploration of the theme of how corporations affect our society really excites me and I hope it will continue!

One quibble with the special effects is that the exact same exterior CGI shots are used over and over. This is fine for the Graystone residence, but the shot of Graystone Industries has the same aircraft flying over in the exact same way every time; also, the exterior scene of the Adams home is always accompanied by the faint sound of a car alarm or some siren. This takes away from the program’s realism.

Nevertheless, I can’t overstate how much this episode impressed me. There was not a bad bit of dialogue or boring scene. I intentionally avoided looking at who wrote this episode until I'd finished watching it twice – both live and on my VHS copy - in case that might bias my opinion; I even wrote this entire review without knowing who wrote it until this moment. So, it is with pride that I say to Katherine Lingenfelter (and any other writers who might have helped) and Battlestar Galactica alumnus, director Michael Nankin, well done!

8.6 out of 10

The most important part, getting at the show's systemic problems with limited moral ambiguity, is highlighted.

Review of “Know Thy Enemy” (airdate March 5, 2010)

Here we go again. After last week’s very good episode, we return to storylines in which the male leads are more interesting and original than the female ones, who are given substantially cliché parts, under Jane Espenson’s misguided and unimaginative stewardship.

This episode felt as though the storylines involving Joseph Adama and Daniel Graystone were, for the most part, written by different people than those serving the arcs of Amanda, Sister Clarice, Zoe, and Lacey/Keon/Barnabas. Again, this week, I avoided looking at who wrote the episode – but only when watching it live; I was sufficiently disappointed that it didn’t matter who wrote it, as I peeked at the identities of Patrick Massett, John Zinman, and Mathew Roberts upon the second viewing on VHS. Obviously, even a director of Michael Nankin’s experience couldn’t rescue this story from plenty of missteps. I’m quite certain that some of this is Jane Espenson’s fault because it FEELS like her rewriting of earlier episodes and she was placed as head writer from the start of the post-pilot season. Not only is her job rewriting others’ work and giving feedback, but she chooses which direction to take among all the options offered in the writers’ room.

Some of the poor quality may also flow from the limited options available from a largely Battlestar Galactica-free writers’ room; the poor guidance provided by executive producers David Eick (who is evidently heavily involved, given his role in editing and supervising, as stated in his podcasts for each episode) and Ronald D. Moore (who seems largely incognito, given the dearth of his communication with the public and fans since handing over the reins); and even the network’s participation. I’m not sure. However, I emphasize that I think Ms. Espenson talented and hard-working and not at all akin to the shamelessly commercial writers like J.J. Abrams or Tim Kring. She has heart, but perhaps not the artistic taste or the political activist streak necessary to make the most of this show as head writer. Quite honestly, I didn’t think anyone could measure up to Ronald D. Moore’s rewriting when I read he was stepping down, and I think I’ve been proven right.

Nevertheless, the first several minutes of the episode were terrific. Tomas Virgil was magnificently portrayed by John Piper-Ferguson, whose performances have always been memorable – from “The X-Files”’ 5th season two-parter (in which he was one of the few things I didn’t wish to forget) to the wonderful film, “The House of Sand and Fog.” I liked how his character’s name was pronounced as though it were Nordic or something, rather than the usual “Thomas.”

At the party, Amanda and Daniel Graystone’s light exchange was entertaining enough and established that their lives were improving. The disconnected way that Virgil reacted to Daniel’s objection that he had crashed the party was satisfyingly disturbing. I didn’t mind that Daniel refused to admit to Amanda what had precisely upset him about Virgil’s comments. Though he seems to be getting away with a lot of secrets, I liked that Amanda knew he wasn’t being completely open with her. I loved the phony way he insisted she go to sleep because he was supposedly worried about her recent sleeplessness, when, in fact, he wanted to get away from her to speak privately to his assistant Cyrus Xander; I do hate that this character took his last name from “Buffy: The Vampire Slayer,” though. In any case, the dialogue between Daniel and Cyrus was great, too.

There’s a nice bit of relatable texture when we see Joseph Adama struggle to open the plastic packaging of his just-purchased holoband; this happens to me all the time! I also enjoyed the difficulties he faced trying to find Tamra because she was in an illegal area of the virtual world. I particularly loved the tense scene just after this between Daniel and Joseph, as each feels the other has betrayed him and trivializes his concerns.

It was roughly after this point that the episode stopped wowing me, though I continued to find Daniel and Jospeh’s remaining scenes with other characters decent. Yet one scene that irritated me with its cliché writing was when Joseph’s female fellow lawyer or legal assistant to a judge made an obvious pass by stroking the tattoos on his chest; this was tacky and uninteresting. I love romance, but don’t appreciate this kind of predictable storytelling in a series that should be just as good as Battlestar Galactica, but isn’t. For the rest of the episode, even Daniel’s conversations with Cyrus about what Virgil has planned as well as Daniel’s scenes with Virgil just weren’t as engaging and tension-filled as one feels they could be if Ron Moore were firmly in charge of rewriting this or even if Mark Verheiden, Michael Angeli, and numerous other Battlestar writers had taken a stab at these scenes.

The basic problem was that Virgil’s motivations remained predictably obvious from the opening scene and the revelation, at the episode’s end, that he seeks to destroy everything in Daniel’s life didn’t feel particularly shocking or imaginative. The single-minded vengeance-seeker is quite conventional in fiction, but it requires greater shades of subtlety to be engaging. Otherwise, it’s as lame as Venom hating Spiderman or some embarrassing character arc on “Lost.” Human nature is often too complex to allow for this kind of focus. Speaking from my own experience with such emotions, however much I’ve been eaten away, at any given moment, by a desire for revenge, life and practical considerations get in the way; I get hungry or tired or I want to think about something else. Hopefully, Tomas Virgil’s arc won’t simply be to keep threatening Daniel and his loved ones until he is killed because that would be a shame. This actor deserves a more complex and believable role than the one I worry could easily and formulaically unfold.

Now onto what didn’t work well. Amanda’s arc in this episode was dull; she was too passive in her relationship with Daniel. Perhaps I’m overreacting, but I don’t like Amanda calling Daniel “babe” because it reminds me of how the protagonist married couple refer to each other on “Friday Night Lights” – a program for which these writers have worked – and I always found that relationship annoyingly “down to earth;” it felt phony, as if to emphasize the couple’s “common man” qualities with an air of reverse-snobbery – as if that would make them more relatable. I don’t want the Graystones to become like that – to be written as though they’re the “cool” couple; I want them to be unique and, sometimes, this means appearing uncool.

In any event, Amanda’s arc from the start of this series has been too stagnant. Having a mother grieving for this long is perfectly realistic, but it’s not dramatically interesting to see over and over again. Perhaps, the mourning needs to be expressed in a different, less conventional way. Her guilt-inspired outburst at the memorial in “Rebirth” and her appearance on “Sarno” in “Gravedancing” were great examples of how to invigorate her character. Yet they stand out precisely because they’re rare. In this episode, she continued to commiserate over the loss of her daughter and the Global Defense Department’s (GDD) rude investigation of Zoe’s life – this time, in the company of the devious Sister Clarice – and it was still boring.

For her part, Clarice also remains a problematic character. Her frustrations with the Soldiers of The One (STO) hierarchy still aren’t clear enough to fully understand the stakes of what’s happening. Similarly, her conversations with her family are equally disappointing, and her drug binges remain as utterly tedious in this installment as they were in “Rebirth” and any cliché druggie scene from any commercial movie. Watching people on drugs is one of the most overused plot devices and it’s always exasperating to watch. The whole point of it here was to illustrate her guilt over her deceit of Amanda Graystone. We watched Clarice persuade Amanda to get drunk and, under the guise of wanting to see Zoe’s art work, trick her into letting her into Daniel’s lab so she could copy files from his computer that might contain Zoe’s avatar. While this was slightly more compelling than the usual tiresome Clarice plot line, it still felt quite predictable.

By far, the worst – to the point of being unforgivable – storylines involved Zoe and Lacey. Daniel Graystone’s technician acted the part well enough; I liked the moment when Daniel confronted him about pretend flirting with the cylon. Still, the very idea of delving into his lack of success at internet dating was poorly executed by having Zoe’s avatar try to bring him joy by posing as a young woman interested in meeting him. I was disgusted at the formulaic way the writers decided she should disguise herself as a supposed nerd – all hunched posture, awkward hair-style, and thick-rimmed glasses. It’s insulting to viewers to engage in such well-worn and uninspired tropes that defy respect for humanity by substituting the complexity of human behavior with stereotypes. This is the kind of mistaken foray into supposed whimsy into which I feared Jane Espenson would take the show – and my fears have been proven justified. Having Zoe and the technician dance in “Gravedancing” was bad enough.

The Lacey plot barely featured her and, when it did, failed miserably. She sought to smuggle a secret package to Gemenon, which the viewers know is to contain the cylon imbued with Zoe’s avatar. Even this holdover plot from previous episodes is a horrible, cliché idea and it’s obvious that Ronald D. Moore or some of the better writers from Battlestar would have come up with something more innovative. In any case, she was soliciting the leader of an STO cell named Barnabus, who is played by the great James Marsters. His casting was one excellent idea of Espenson, as he’s a fine and subtle actor. He did a good job here with very little – particularly when he roared at Lacey to leave, refusing her request.

Most of this storyline revolved around Barnabus and high school student/STO member Keon Gatwick, who was, yet again, acted unconvincingly and without much emotional range. The writing of their interaction was quite awful, not simply due to the uninspiring dialogue, but also the tone of their relationship, which never seemed believable. One had a sense that Barnabas is an imposing leader of this STO subgroup, at one moment. Yet, at another, it looked as though Keon was free to derisively refuse participation in Barnabas’ request that he share in a ritual of showing devotion to God by tightly wrapping barbed wire around one’s arm; Keon didn’t even seem nervous doing so, and spoke to the middle aged mastermind behind recent terrorist bombings as though he were also a peer from the teenager’s high school. When Barnabus pointed out to Keon that Lacey would be horrified to find out that Keon had made the bomb that killed Zoe, it sounded more like a row among equals – with Barnabas having to guilt-trip a friend into line – than how one with unimpeachable authority would address a subordinate. Indeed, the storytelling provided no sense of the precise boundaries of their relationship within Barnabas’ cell, let alone the STO hierarchy. Furthermore, how likely is it that a teenager is a bomb expert?

As a result, Barnabus’ introduction was a letdown. In his first scene, he showily inflicted pain on himself to demonstrate a fanaticism akin to certain monks of the Middle Ages who flagellated themselves to show their humility before God. While it’s a nice bit of historical/political parallel to our world, it’s also the only instance of its kind in the episode and a meek one at that.

There is no sense that Caprica is delving deeply and realistically into the mindsets of terrorists, based on an examination of history and present day politics from a non-Western perspective; this is what Ronald D. Moore ensured on Battlestar Galactica. Instead, one gets the impression that Jane Espenson is leading her writing staff in coming up with their notions of such people and movements on their own. This tends to lead to mythical notions of how people behave without any psychological grounding. It also leads to morally ambiguous arcs that are less ambitious and are crafted for their own sake, rather than to say something pertinent about our world.

For example, isn’t it convenient that the moral ambiguity among the show’s characters only extends to limited culpability? They’re often suspected of committing horrible acts, but they’re shown as either having not committed them or having never meant for them to occur and – therefore – are redeemable, according to conventional state-oriented notions of morality. Daniel never meant to have Virgo Industries’ employees killed; I’m sure even Sam will be absolved of complicity in their deaths and Tomas Virgo will be shown to wrongly want Daniel or the Adamas’ deaths. Similarly, Zoe is thought by her parents and the GDD to be responsible for the suicide train bombing, but we know she isn’t. Yet the guy who is, Ben Stark, still hasn’t been explored. In the same vein, Sister Clarice will predictably be found out by Amanda as a member of the STO, and Amanda will think Clarice responsible for the bombing. Yet, it’s pretty clear that she’s depicted as disagreeing with Barnabas’ violent course. In contrast, Ronald D. Moore’s pilot had a disturbing but convincing scene in which she lays out a sympathetic understanding of Ben’s mindset; a deleted scene even hinted that she was behind his actions. In this episode, we find out that Keon’s culpability is also limited because he didn’t know Stark would use the bomb in that way. It would have been harder to humanize these characters were they responsible for the horrible things of which they are or will be accused, but it would make for better drama and more insightful probing into the human condition.

In contrast, on Battlestar Galactica, the cylons INTENDED to commit genocide against the humans at the start of the show, just as the fleet MEANT to do the same to the cylons later on. Characters also willfully tortured “the other.” The brilliance of that show lay in getting the audience to feel that this cruelty could be rationalized and carried out by the same people who were capable of great kindness as well.

So, instead of the current dramatic course – composed of a series of accidents and misunderstandings – Caprica’s storytelling should push the boundaries of moral ambiguity to more extreme, albeit realistic, levels to explore the most horrific acts of humanity. Like Battlestar, it must serve to expose the most pressing issues of our time and ask viewers to question their own narratives and the mainstream North American media’s biased depictions of events. Above nearly every other issue, that is my greatest concern with the show’s present direction.

7.8 out of 10

Review of “The Imperfections of Memory” (airdate March 12, 2010)

This is the most unforgivable episode yet. The arcs of the usually enjoyable Daniel Graystone and Joseph Adama falter, making the cliché roles provided for the female characters even more agonizing to watch. Special effects can’t compensate for bad storytelling.

The budding relationship between Sister Clarice and Amanda remains boring. Although the plot element introduced in this episode of Amanda’s delusions is potentially interesting, it’s dramatized in so unfulfilling a manner that it ultimately feels more like a potential time-filler. I found Clarice’s interpretation of Amanda’s hallucinations as divine a bit too odd to accept; her beliefs have moved beyond slightly fascinating (with her references to avatars as a means of life after death) to thoroughly implausible; I understand that the writers are acknowledging the strangeness of her opinions by having her black husband express the same skepticism, but such ideas just make her character seem silly. According to Clarice, Zoe was a prophet, basically? Did Sister Clarice have any reason to believe this when she was alive and did she treat Zoe as such? It’s all very hokey and without being dramatically realistic or remarkable.

To her credit, Paula Malcolmson acts very well, but it’s painful to watch her character’s unchanging and unappealing arc over so many episodes. Her disclosure to Clarice that she had a mental breakdown years after her brother’s death from a car crash wasn’t all that interesting or perhaps it just wasn’t presented well. It felt extreme and a bit surprising, to be sure, but this was ruined by a hunch that it was also contrived for melodramatic effect. Time will tell whether this back story will be given due attention and will show respect for the details of such a psychological condition; I really hope Amanda’s past and present mental state will be carefully explored to ground things realistically. There’s a danger of this development coming off as a convenient means of having her relapse now due to Zoe’s death without explaining exactly why – beyond the fact that Daniel isn’t around as much as he should be to comfort her. It would show contempt for the viewers to do so.

From the pilot this far into the series, Amanda’s mourning could have been as deep and innovative a meditation on death and loss as the first couple of seasons of “Six Feet Under.” Yet the show hasn’t really dealt with the loss of a loved one very well, either. While there are occasionally remarkable moments that make her pain relatable, most of the grieving feels like the formula I’ve seen before on other TV shows and movies.

I particularly hated the scenes of Clarice and Amanda partaking in drugs. Maybe that makes me seem conservative, but I find this plot device both cliché and a cheap and false way to make Amanda seem cool, as she recalls having done this before. It’s disgusting. There’s nothing down to earth about taking drugs, and it often impedes – rather than helps – emotional growth from tragedy. I would be more sympathetic for Amanda’s weakness here, if it weren’t framed by the writers as no big deal – as though she were simply relaxing and that this were an acceptable coping mechanism. It’s sad that, for all this program’s failure to comment on controversial political issues with real moral ambiguity, it has had no trouble taking a one-sided approach on drug usage.

It was nice to see Clarice and Zoe both express ruthlessness about using Amanda and Philomon, respectively – that they were leading on their targets without regard to the consequences to them. Still, it’s obvious that they’ll come to care about them and develop emotional attachments. It’s all happening within the scope of a very predictable dialectic. Indeed, since the pilot, this is a drama that, unlike Battlestar Galactica, doesn’t really take chances to break new ground in storytelling.

Some critics have said that the show’s problem is one of slow pacing; executive producer David Eick and some of the actors have implied as much by hinting that the second half of the season picks up the pace and is when the program finds itself. Yet the problem is more complex than that. There were many instances, during Battlestar Galactica’s third and especially fourth seasons, when I wished that the pace of events were slowed down to allow for more texture and exploration of a given character’s emotional place. In Caprica’s case, it’s the reverse. There is a lot of texture, but it feels empty because it’s mostly focused on food and characters’ movements and gestures (despite the fact that watching Daniel Graystone dice fruits is a pleasure). None of this slowed pace results in improving the dialogue, which often doesn’t feel realistic or engaging enough. The slower pace hasn’t allowed for the insertion of more dramatic diversity or for elaboration on interesting ideas. Instead, it has led to the same types of dramatic points being made over and over about our characters. Again and again we see Joseph seeking Tamara, wanting to believe she’s alive; we hear Amanda repeatedly mourn over Zoe’s loss and the insensitivity of the GDD; we observe Daniel, Xander, and Philomon continually ponder why the seeming functionality of the processor isn’t transferable to other cylon bodies; we see Lacey beg to move a package to Gemenon in far too many scenes; we glimpse Sister Clarice struggle with the other STO members to trust in her mission and, even though it’s only been 2 episodes now, attempt to bond with Amanda over Zoe’s death in ways that never feel fresh; and we witness Zoe engage far too often in silly or flirtatious moments meant to bring the viewer levity. The show’s mistaken approach has been to constantly drive home to viewers the same dramatic points far too frequently, and it has been tedious specifically because these points weren’t very original or interesting in the first place.

I’m saddened that much of the season’s budget was wasted on special effects to give life to shockingly perfunctory V-World scenes. These included the flight simulator Zoe and Philomon played as well as the game “New Cap City,” into which Joseph Adama and the teenager sent by Tamara ventured. They were the most boring of all the episode’s scenes because the story’s emphasis was on superficial effects that barely drove home any of the drama or were simply used to heighten already very weak story elements. Watching Zoe and Philomon engage in romantic foreplay was as dull as can be expected; I was rarely a fan of action sequences on Battlestar Galactica unless they involved a major battle. Needless to say, there was no risk to Zoe when her plane was crashing, so why should anyone care? When I saw the two on a deserted island together, I knew they’d kiss. Somewhere in head writer Jane Espenson’s office is a box containing formulaic plot devices scribbled on jumbled pieces of paper. Since these two’s relationship was predictably heading in this direction for several episodes, I knew it was only a matter of time before this well-worn chestnut made its appearance.

There was at least some decent dialogue on the island. Writer Mathew Roberts, perhaps with Jane Espenson’s help, did a great job of making the two’s technological discussions comprehensible to the audience while sounding plausible. I enjoyed Zoe demonstrating her intelligence by suggesting ways to improve the flight simulator’s background design by mathematically programming it to generate infinite variations of trees to appear more real. I also appreciated how her advice on improving the cylon’s development gave Philomon a eureka moment. He, in turn, figured out that maybe the trouble Graystone Industries had encountered in replicating the microprocessor chip for other cylon bodies might have to do with the chip’s physical structure, and not its digital content. However, the goofy tone in which she eagerly insisted that the solution was to let the cylon out in public (which would allow her to escape to Gemenon) felt like something out of Buffy and such influences are unwelcome.

In New Cap City, I suppose it was a bit thrilling seeing Joseph and the teen dodge being shot – which is to say, infinitely preferable to the blandness of Zoe and Philomon’s date – but that was pretty much all that intrigued me, and just barely. The tension in Joseph’s plot was constantly about not dying in the game. This is a misuse of such a fine actor. I didn’t appreciate the Buffy-like attempt at humor when Joseph’s request about whether they could fly in the game was met with the teen’s false instructions; it was obvious that he was mocking Joseph 10 seconds before the joke was over. I was somewhat fond of how the teen sold Joseph on New Cap City’s perks by telling him that one didn’t need Viagra to have lots of sex there. Yet, similarly, it seemed out of context for a father to be amused while desperately searching for his lost daughter. The last minutes of this subplot presented themselves in a way that hinted at some surprise in store, but it was just some young woman stalking Joseph and offering to aid in his search for Tamara in exchange for money. Big deal. Moreover, having the teen killed in the game and unable to help Joseph any longer – and probably having him exit the show – was a waste of the actor who played him since he was far more talented than the guy who acts as Keon.

Speaking of our least interesting subplot, watching Keon and Lacey chilling out on some swings was another cliché. I would be far more stressed out than either character let on. This was another holdover from Joss Whedon’s creative approach to Buffy, in which Espenson participated. He attempted to draw parallels between the concerns of regular, stereotypical teens and those of fantastical fictional characters facing life or death situations. The trouble was that this metaphorical storytelling always felt contrived on Buffy – like Joss and company were trying just a little too hard to make fantasy elements relatable to viewers by forcing them to fit the tone of high school melodrama. This overly metaphorical conception of how to construct a drama so that the audience can relate to it in the broadest sense is hurting Caprica just as much. The world that Ronald D. Moore set up in his pilot was exciting and realistically relatable because its characters could serve as means to seriously and innovatively examine the very real trends of terrorism and other pressing issues that face us. The natural path for the show – from which Espenson deviated – was to illustrate, among other themes, what could drive lost youth toward various political (perhaps even fundamentalist) beliefs and even toward violence to achieve those ends. Even the phenomenon of “going Columbine,” which I think is very much emotionally connected to terrorism in terms of its subjects reacting to feeling betrayed by the world, could be probed in this way. Yet, do either of these characters – young and in love in the schoolyard – feel like portrayals of members of a religious cult? Do they even feel consistent emotionally with the characters established in the pilot? Do they bring viewers one step closer to understanding the minds of such people or even the real issues confronting our world, which the mainstream media constantly frames in the most destructively simplistic and nationalistic terms? No. That’s not simply a creative failure on Jane Espenson’s part, but a moral one, too, given that this show naturally lent itself to something more than formulaic teen drama in a science fiction setting.

The only moderately engaging scenes in the episode involved watching the great performances of John Piper-Ferguson as Tomas Virgis, Eric Stoltz as Daniel Graystone, and Hiro Kanagawa as Cyrus Xander. Kudos to Stoltz for insisting that Kanagawa be given prominence, according to the pilot DVD audio commentary. It was slightly exciting to hear Virgis explain that the stolen chip never worked, which led Daniel and Cyrus to puzzle over how they seemed to have enabled the cylon to work. This makes me wonder whether this chip was ever necessary to input Avatar Zoe into the cylon. Was the entire theft and the ensuing collateral damage all for nothing? Virgis’ revelation led to a few scenes in which Daniel tried to make sense out of why the cylon was working. I enjoyed the way he woke Philomon from the V-World by playing the piano in his lab. In a later scene, I even liked the way cylon Zoe sought to distract the dog, which sensed something odd about her and started barking, from attracting Daniel’s attention to her by kicking its ball away. However, I don’t buy that the dog could detect anything unusual about the cylon, including that Zoe was inside it; there was no emanating odor or any other signs, and the dog had no reason to expect that it was anything other than a robot. Indeed, the dog’s sixth sense detecting Zoe felt preposterous – like it was thrown in as another cliché, based on numerous other fictional works, in which the dog intuits something that he then tries to tell his human master.

The episode ended with Daniel realizing that Zoe may indeed be in the robot. The fact that it took this long for such a minor revelation is upsetting because these actors deserve far superior material with which to work. Similarly, Daniel angrily yelling at Cyrus that he would not sell his professional sports league to Virgis to fund the manufacture of the cylons seemed like it was meant to be more climactic than it actually was. Depressingly, that’s how much of the drama has played out in the post-pilot series, with the exception of the episode “There Is Another Sky.” Hopefully, Michael Taylor’s next two episodes can rescue this show from the disastrous depths to which it has sunk.

6.7 out of 10

James Marsters recently responded to this question with the kind of political guts I love to see; what a brilliant guy!:
"How do you see Barnabas? Is he a terrorist or a criminal? What is he?

Marsters: No man, he's a revolutionary. I mean, how I see him is how he seems himself. It's a complex question. I'll answer as an actor who's making the guy. You know, you could say that George Washington was a terrorist. He was using different battle techniques. I mean, if you compare the English who were just coming at them in formation, standing people up in open fields and just marching forward, and he was just hiding in the bushes and shooting... I mean, that's a little bit like, you know, the new tactics that we're facing in Afghanistan and Iraq. There is a difference, the terrorist is trying to instill terror in a civilian population, and they're definitely expanding the battlefield to civilian populations and that is also something scary. But in my mind, in Barnabas's mind he is trying to save the world. He's trying to give the world a new religion that will give guidance to people. He recognizes that some people -- not all, but some people really do need a superman to tell them, "You will not pee in the pool and if you do I will kick you out." They need a god and they need the 10 Commandments. They need "Thou shall do this" and "Don't do that" and "You'll burn if you don't" and "You'll go to heaven if you do" and they need a daddy figure. And without that, you really face what Rome faced, which is people giving into sensual desire to the point that the whole society wrecks. That one's true. You know, the Roman society -- it's the same religion that they have on Caprica, which is, you know, a multi-deity mythology. And in Rome, all the Roman mythology had nothing to do with what you should do or what you should try to become -- it was just trying to explain human psychology. The gods behaved in very human ways, and it was really just exploring why we are the way we are but that doesn't give guidance. And you can argue that that's exactly what you should do, but Barnabas sees it differently, because he's going into these V-Clubs and he's seeing best friends shoot each other down for fun."

The whole interview is here:
Caprica: James Marsters Sinks His Teeth into Another Sci-Fi Series - The Telefile Blog - TV Shows & TV News - TV Reviews | TWoP

I think this actor gives Christianity to much credit.

I don't think it saved Rome or its Empire at all.

As for this series I am liking most of it.

What is with the teacher hanging out smoking lounges getting high, a little reminiscent of the 60s hippy era?

I did find a video cast with voice overs with the writers giving their thoughts.
It was the same format as the old podcasts they did for BSG, but with the video, the one I watched gave me more of an appreciation for the actor and character - Tomas Vergis.

Review of “Ghosts in the Machine” (airdate March 19, 2010)

As expected, writer Michael Taylor rescued the series from its lows last week with more unpredictable story telling and improved dialogue. Yet he, unexpectedly, failed to soar to the heights I’d come to expect from his past work, especially on “Battlestar Galactica.”

Firstly, the story line revolving around Daniel (Eric Stoltz) and Zoe Graystone (Alessandra Toressani) (well, her avatar, actually, but, for all intents and purposes, it’s Zoe) was quite well written and beautifully acted. Thankfully, the pitfalls of cheesy teen romance were avoided by leaving Philomon and Keon aside this week. This meant that Lacy Rand’s (Magda Apanowicz) scenes, though few – as they have been the last several episodes – were enjoyable, as she interacted only with Zoe. The two friends discussed the latter’s dilemma about trying to convince Daniel she wasn’t inside the cylon, so he’d pay less attention to it, and she could flee to Gemenon, as planned.

Finally, viewers were given a strong and believable justification as to why Zoe was hiding from him. Based upon his misleading her when he transferred her from the virtual world into a cylon body, she concluded that, while he might feel some connection to her as a representation of his daughter, this wasn’t enough to fully humanize her in his eyes. Given what she saw as his business priorities, if he were sure that she was inside the robot soldier, which he had already been developing for a military contract, he might exploit her.

Father and sort-of-daughter’s doubly complicated relationship was illustrated in their interaction, which offered up this episode’s best moments. Stoltz displayed both the emotional neediness of a father seeking his daughter as well as the cold disregard he’d show a stranger in pursuit of that goal. The scenes in which Daniel tried to connect with Zoe’s avatar as though she were his daughter were incredibly effective. I particularly loved how he lectured her angrily about her supposedly committing the terrorist act that killed many on the train, rather than directing her displaced feelings toward their source: her parents. The way he explained how wrong she was to be so hard on her parents for the mistakes they had made in raising her – that life itself was full of difficulties forcing snap and potentially regrettable decisions – felt like an insight from which I could learn. This is when Battlestar worked best, when it made me look at the world in a different way by pondering some truth I hadn’t considered. I’m happy to see Taylor ensure Caprica finally lives up to its predecessor in continuing to do that at which most of the post-pilot episodes had failed. Furthermore, seeing Daniel express his love for his child in showing understanding for her own seeming mistakes was moving. It all made what came next that much more disturbing.

Just as Daniel had a twin relationship with Zoe’s avatar, it seemed that the latter’s attitude toward him was dictated by factors beyond simply his daughter’s feelings. Her experience as an artificial intelligence observing from afar also provided her with the skeptical perspective of him as a scientist and industrialist who might threaten her survival. Presumably hoping that Daniel would give up on his hunch that his daughter was effectively still alive inside the cylon and to avoid confirming this belief, Zoe’s approach was to only follow orders given the robot; in front of her father, she could not afford to act outside of officially programmed parameters. So, even though Zoe was touched by Daniel’s pleas, her refusal to show herself prompted him to react viciously by using his daughter’s emotions to trick her into doing so.

Although Daniel’s behavior was shockingly manipulative, the fact that it was rooted in his understandable desperation to know for certain whether she was there made it psychologically genuine. His psychological tests played out wonderfully – with each uttered phrase sneakily unveiling the level of cruelty to which he was prepared to resort with disturbing effect. He first reminded her of Zoe’s deep-seated fear of fire, based on the trauma of her witnessing the family home burn down when she was five, while the cylon was instructed to repeatedly assemble and disassemble a gun. He later told the cylon to stand still in the middle of a circle of fire that he hoped would terrify her into stepping out of it.

During each test, Zoe revealed herself in what Daniel called “tells” – slight hesitations and pauses that were uncharacteristic of the robot’s movements – which, in turn, only reinforced his conviction that she was in control. Yet, despite her knowing that she was unconsciously providing these clues, it was realistic that she’d stubbornly stay the course, not knowing what else to do. Yet, the quality of writing maintained such an unpredictably tense atmosphere between the two characters that it was nevertheless a surprise that Zoe didn’t break under duress.

Despite all these breakthroughs in the series, what promised to be a compelling final scene between the two, filled with the moral ambiguity of Battlestar Galactica, felt somewhat unsatisfying. The final test involved Daniel asking the cylon to shoot the dog, which it did with what turned out to be blanks. It was perfectly fine to have Daniel step back from the brink of depravity by not endangering the dog, given the still menacing fact that he forced his daughter to make a hard choice of killing the family dog, rather than expose her free will to not shoot. However, Zoe’s moral complexity was compromised by her disclosure, later on to Lacy, that the cylon had known from the gun’s lightness that it contained blanks. I suppose the audience was still meant to feel dread – and be assured of Zoe’s moral ambiguity – with her telling Lacy that she was tempted to kill her dad and still might if she didn’t escape soon. Yet, it felt like a cop-out to steer clear of Zoe crossing some moral line. Perhaps the writers were correct to keep in check her willingness to sacrifice others to serve her aims. All the same, at this point in the series, she is already the daughter who never committed a terrorist act and, now, she knowingly shot the dog with blanks; in both cases, her father thinks she’s more depraved than she really is, and there’s something unsatisfying about a lead character whose only sins so far are lying to a stranger (Philomon), hiding from her father, and guilt tripping her best friend into helping her run away.

At the episode’s close, it was uncertain what Daniel concluded from the cylon’s actions. Did he think the cylon’s willingness to kill the dog meant Zoe couldn’t be inside it because she wouldn’t do such a thing? Unlikely. More credibly, he was merely disgusted with his daughter’s avatar for taking things this far; he might even have concluded that she is nothing like his daughter and be ready to further dehumanize her. Time will tell.

Less successful, though fairly entertaining, was the plot entailing Joseph Adama’s (Esai Morales) search for his daughter Tamara among the perils of the New Cap City game. He was accompanied by Emmanuelle (Leah Gibson), a mysterious femme fatale who said, in the previous episode, that she had been sent to his aid by Tad, the teen whom Tamara had sent to find him. Emmanuelle was portrayed well and with great subtlety; she was also visually captivating with her unique, though not overtly beautiful or sexual, appearance that gave her toughness a believability. Taylor did a good job of creating obstacles for the characters to surmount, diminishing the predictability that has hurt most of this series’ installments to date. However, it still felt like the virtual world was the least interesting place for the show. I couldn’t really get over the fact that it was a simulation and that, while I couldn’t wait to see father and daughter’s avatar reunited, I didn’t ultimately care for the dangers Joseph had to overcome to find her. Consequently, this story line’s excitement was limited and without sufficient emotional resonance.

It made sense that Joseph hesitated to kill others in the game, despite the stakes of being killed and losing his chance to find Tamara, because everything there feels real and he can’t normally bring himself to violence. His escort, Emmanuelle, upbraided him for jeopardizing both their lives. So, once he got back to the real world, it was an interesting, if somewhat predictable, touch to have him ask his gangster brother Sam (Sasha Roiz) how he kills people so easily. The answer, though intriguing, felt a bit forced in its charming coincidence: imagine that the people you have to kill aren’t real – that it’s all a game. This is, of course, exactly the situation Joseph is facing.

There was a flair I appreciated to the writing of New Cap City this time. It ranged from the superbly acted shifty criminal occupying Joseph’s virtual world apartment to specifically the male transvestite club owner, who conveyed a flamboyant and threatening creepiness. When the transvestite asked Joseph to answer a riddle on penalty of being shot, I worried that, as per TV formula, the gifted hero would come up with the correct answer. I was glad he couldn’t and luckily managed an escape. It was also startling to then have him recognize, as he was leaving, a symbol that Tamara loved to draw on the wall. This, in turn, convinced him to reenter the club and ruthlessly kill (that is, force out of New Cap City permanently) anyone to get near the transvestite to get answers. The transvestite revealed that she had been there, and that, once he tried to have her killed for answering his riddle incorrectly, she acquired mythical status as one who couldn’t die.

I must admit to being confused by the implication of this plot’s ending in this episode. Joseph and Emmanuelle found a wall full of Tamara’s symbols, perhaps implying that she was powerful enough in this game to put her stamp on the territory. Emmanuelle strangely concluded that Tamara was happy in this world and that Joseph should give up on the search. This was an odd assumption. Tamara’s success at dominating the game wouldn’t imply her desire to stay there, surely.

Amanda Graystone’s (Paula Malcolmson) plot had her visiting the site of the car accident that she had witnessed as a passenger and that killed her brother. As in the previous episode, she talked through the bewilderment of having just seen her brother with Sister Clarice (Polly Walker) over the phone. I’m not sure what the dramatic interest is supposed to be; obviously, as Amanda suspected, these are hallucinations that are probably brought on, as Clarice suggested, by the pain over Zoe’s death, which, in turn, remind Amanda of her earlier trauma over her sibling’s passing. The reality is so clear that I’m not even sure what the point is of showing the audience such conversations repeatedly. I was relieved when Clarice’s insistence that she come over was refused. I dislike scenes in which the two of them hang out, although Taylor might have done a better job than previous writer had.

Instead, Amanda was treated to a visit from Tomas Virgis (John Piper-Ferguson). From the moment the robot butler Serge (voiced by Jim Thomson) relayed Virgis’ message that he wished to speak with her, a sense of foreboding loomed over her scenes. He had, after all, threatened to make Daniel suffer, and, imagining his revenge manifesting in an indiscriminate manner upon all those associated with him, the first person I assumed would be hurt was the wife. Yet I was glad to see him do no such harm when she greeted him. He simply told her that Daniel had someone steal his MCP (a kind of microprocessor) and murder two of his friends in the process. This reasonable tack implied Virgis has greater moral ambiguity than the archetypical nemesis. For her part, Amanda responded realistically – expressing loyalty for her husband, who supposedly was not capable of such horrible things, which is what most loved ones of criminals probably tell themselves. Yet the accusations certainly planted doubt in her mind, and her resulting distress took the form of blaming the messenger, as she shooed Virgis away. Nonetheless, this kind of slow-burning, guilt-ridden payback of turning Amanda against Daniel didn’t feel particularly thrilling.

A later scene showed Amanda worrying or grieving. Even if her upset grew out of a new concern (Daniel’s potential criminality) and the scene was only a few seconds long, the mere fact that she was in roughly the same dour mood she had been in every episode so far was exhausting. I already felt like the collective effect of constantly being exposed to scenes in which Amanda mourns made me overreact and recall my very own trauma upon merely detecting the hint of another one unfolding.

Wayne Rose’s directing of this very good episode and last week’s worst one yet indicate how much more important the writing is to the direction. The same could be said for director Michael Nankin helming the very good “There Is Another Sky” and the following, not so good “Know They Enemy.” All this is to say that I’m thankful for Michael Taylor’s presence on Caprica’s staff.

8.4 out of 10

I think this actor gives Christianity to much credit.

I don't think it saved Rome or its Empire at all.

As for this series I am liking most of it.

What is with the teacher hanging out smoking lounges getting high, a little reminiscent of the 60s hippy era?

I did find a video cast with voice overs with the writers giving their thoughts.
It was the same format as the old podcasts they did for BSG, but with the video, the one I watched gave me more of an appreciation for the actor and character - Tomas Vergis.
I can understand this interpretation of what Marsters is saying, but I think maybe he's trying to speak from Barnabas' perspective.

I know that Moore once spoke in an audio commentary for, I think, BSG about how he found that monotheism was actually very puritanical in a way that polytheism wasn't and that that was an interesting perspective to take. I got the sense that he wanted "Caprica" to really explore that. I saw the interesting commentary on monotheism as extending to Islam and Judaism as well. Too bad Jane Espenson wasn't at all up to it.

Oh, and I can't STAND Clarice. The pilot was the last time she was even slightly interesting. I blame this fully on Espenson and on Moore and Eick for letting her do this.

Apparently, according to the most recent podcast,
Amanda was meant to be seeing her brother because Virgis hired a doppelganger of him to haunt her and drive Daniel's wife crazy; Eick realized that this idea wasn't going to work when he thought things through and realized it would be overly lucky for this doppelganger to appear in front of her at the right times and be able to get away so she couldn't follow. Am I glad Jane Espenson was replaced; she was ruining the fracking show with her retarded ideas! Thankfully, Eick says, they jettisoned the idea in the editing room.

Just watched the most recent episode from Friday, which happens to be the last we're going to see the show until September apparently. Exciting stuff! "Caprica" may have had a rather slow start, but it's definitely great now.

I'm a few episodes behind right now, and I must say, I hope things pick up soon and the story begins to evolve more. There have been times when it's dragged.

The last episode I saw, the one with Adama's daughter trying to get out of V-world with that kid helping her, was one of the better ones though.

I thought U2/BSG fans might like this. It was put together by the photographer, who accidentally had his photos leaked before the finale, according to someone on Battlestar Blog Live Journal community. Now, he's released them in this video on youtube; there's also some behind the scenes video in the latter half. Great music taste on that first song!

YouTube - Battlestar Galactica the Final Days Part 2
The guy with the long hair and beard at 2:08 is the great Ronald D. Moore.
The guy with glasses and long hair in a series of pics starting at 2:17 is the great BSG director Michael Rymer. He did the miniseries, "33", the 2-part Season 1 finale "Kobol's Last Gleaming", "Pegasus", "Lay Down Your Burdens" Parts 1 and 2, the 2-part Season 3 finale (Baltar's trial), and many other eps including "Revelations" and the gorgeous finale. He would done a much better job at perfecting the dialogue and overseeing this show, but he wanted out. He would constantly challenge the writers and push to change scenes if he thought they didn't work. He complained to Ron Moore about the script for Baltar's trial which also helped Moore realize in his rewrite to jettison the Sagitaron plot. So sad because he added so much texture and dramatic realism to BSG and could have done the same with Caprica.

Here's an interview with him here; he's very frank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yhqe4wvU8
Here's another very extensive one from August 2008, a few months after he finished filming the finale; there's both an audio and written component, which are identitical:
http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-...ews/michael-rymer-galactica.tv-interview.html

No more news eps until Sept? WTF!
Actually, if you check imdb, it says October. The fact is that even Syfy isn't positive of when it's going to start up. Mark Stern initially said late summer, but then rescinded that date.

However, I felt very let down by the mid-season finale. It had none of the great dialogue and interesting, subtle ideas of the previous episode. I was actually distraught. I've get around to finishing my review, hopefully soon. For anyone who's interested the podcast to this and previous eps are up; Michael Taylor participates in the last one with David Eick and Magda Apanowicz; will they ever give her stuff matching her talents, as they did in the pilot?:
http://www.syfy.com/caprica/podcasts.php

It's back early, my babies!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 10 pm Eastern time on both Syfy in the US and Space in Canada!

The network was supposed to reach a renewal decision in August, but isn't sure, so it decided to extend the actors' contracts until November and is giving this show a month or so to perform a little better in the ratings before they reach their decision then. It's in our hands whether the show survives to a 2nd season or not. Forget Jane Espenson's bungling, uninsightful, weak drama! It's a new day that hopefully will follow the path laid out in the pilot by Ron Moore!

We have to help by watching it live . DVRing, which only helps a little if watched within a week, and illegal downloading won't help.

Buying the Season 1.0 DVD could help.

The entire writing, acting, and production staffs agree the show improves drastically from here on out. Jane Espenson is out as head writer and the show took weeks out of production to rewrite scripts under new show runner Kevin Murphy.

The Season 1.5 premiere is directed by Eric Stoltz and is what David Eick calls "our 'Taxi Driver.'"

You can find preview clips here, but I don't like watching spoilers so I won't:

Caprica TV

I've seen the first three or four eposides and it's a good series.

I am waiting to see if it survives the first season before getting involved with the story and watching the rest of it, though.

I've seen the first three or four eposides and it's a good series.

I am waiting to see if it survives the first season before getting involved with the story and watching the rest of it, though.

I LOVED the first episode, the pilot, but if you enjoyed episodes 2 and 3, you'll enjoy the rest because episode 3 was among the worst, I feel, and you liked it. I'd just watch it, if I were you because I'm sure you'll be happy you did.

After the very good pilot, my favorites are "There Is Another Sky" (episode 5) and "Ghosts in the Machine" (episode 8), which come close to BSG quality.

We could use new viewers like yourself this month and the next to watch it live if you have a Nielsen box. Heck, even if you tell people you know about the show, it would be great. Without new viewers, this show is dead. And Season 1.5 promises to be even better!

Join us! (or should I say, "Keep joining us!")

Since you're a fellow Canadian (and, therefore, wouldn't have a Nielsen box, right?), you should know it'll be on Space at 10 pm Eastern this coming Tuesday and for the next several weeks. Reruns air at about 1 am Wednesday.

Buying the Season 1.0 DVD set will help, too!

Appreciate it, I am living in the future currently, actually, and will just grab the series off the inter-tubes eventually. I don't really want to start watching the rest of the season until the fate of the series is decided.

Appreciate it, I am living in the future currently, actually, and will just grab the series off the inter-tubes eventually. I don't really want to start watching the rest of the season until the fate of the series is decided.
Yeah, but you realize it's a vicious cycle. The fate of the series is decided by DVD sales and viewings. You can buy Season 1.0 now and help the show continue.

Back
Top Bottom