British comedy..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Is it the the best variety? None of my friends seem to really like it, and whilst I will say my favourite show at the moment is How I Met Your Mother and I prefer the US Office, British comedy really is the shit.

I've got Monty Python, The Office and one of my guilty pleasures Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, and I of course am in love with Fawlty Towers (boxset's too much money) and Mr. Bean.

I did have a somewhat ulterior motive in creating this thread though... I hear Blackadder is pretty damn good. what season should I start with? Do you need to follow it chronologically?

the Thin Blue Line I also thought was pretty funny.

I wonder if the Brits lump every piece of comedy that comes out of the US as "American Comedy"?

And this is no attack on you COBL, it's a common phrase we use, but if we really think about it, it's quite daft...

Did you see what I did there?

Well British comedy does all seem to have a certain appeal to it that American Comedy imo, really lacks. So, I kinda understand why it's "lumped together".

I really need to check out Spaced.

Gervais' The Office and Extras are two of the best TV series I have ever watched.

i never got into Little Britain...

I've got the Flying Circus box set at home. It's some of the most outrageously funny shit I've ever watched... though the fourth season (sans Cleese and with Gilliam acting) was pretty poor.

I hear Blackadder is pretty damn good. what season should I start with? Do you need to follow it chronologically?

Black Adder II, III & IV are all funnier than I, in my opinion (as well as those of others). I deals with the 1300s (or 1200s) I think in King Richard's (?) court where Adder plays a bumbling fool of a prince, II deals with the 1500s in Queen Elizabeth's (I think, lol) court where he plays a witty member (i forget what exactly) of the court making smartass comments; III deals with him as the smartass servant of the Prince of Wales (?) played by the hilarious Hugh Laurie. III is my favorite of all I think. And IV deals with World War black comedy and that one is also really hilarious! I don't think it matters what you start with. Just pick your favorite period in history. :wink:

Anything Rik Mayall does. Young Ones, Bottom, and as Flasheart in Black Adder.

How about the classic sketch series Dave Allen At Large. Young people probably wouldn't remember this show. It used to be quite popular in Canada and Australia. British shows have always done very well in Canada as the sense of humour is quite similar.

Then there's, On The Buses, Doctor In The House, Ab Fab, Keeping Up Appearances, Spaced, Little Britain, etc.

300_karlpilk07.jpg

Can't be topped. Get the podcasts and old radio shows.

Second season it is :up:

How about The Sketch Show, anyone remember that? Ran for one or two series I think, had Tim Vine and Lee Mack in it, and it was pretty high quality stuff.

I've seen a bit of IT Crowd as well, that looks ok.

Black Books

Go. Watch. Now.

Bernard Black is an amazing character. Find him strangely identifiable.

Keeping Up Appearances is my personal favourite. Made about 50 episodes and they are always hilarious to me. I know some of the eps off by heart. Richard was such an endearing character.

"It's my sister Daisy, she's not the one with a mercedes, swimming pool and room for a pony"

Amazing, and I love how low-budget the production values are.

Also, have really got into Teachers. Screening on ABC2 on Tuesdays which is worth watching. Some great characters. Not a typical britcom comedy, but quite awesome.

Back
Top Bottom