British comedy..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Carek your avatar is a Mighty Boosh reference eh?

Loving the Boosh right now...just waiting for my series 3 dvd to come in the post.

Blackadder series 2 is the best of all of them.

Didn't find Little Britain funny at all.

Spaced is great.

Black Books definately a winner.

If anyone is a fan of The Young Ones, may I recommend Guesthouse Paradiso? And when I say 'recommend', I mean, don't hate me when it makes you sick :lmao: It's Rik's "runny bottom" x 23894.

I love British comedies.
"Hello, IT?"

I wonder if the Brits lump every piece of comedy that comes out of the US as "American Comedy"?

Well we do in NZ. Our tv consists mostly of British drama and comedy, American drama, comedy and reality, Australian soaps, comedy etc. and even a little NZ content.

We talk about British comedy, American comedy and even New Zealand comedy (which has always been shit until Flight of the Conchords went to America and made a show.)

Some American comedies are great like How I Met Your Mother and 30 Rock... and then there's all those sitcoms with cutesy nauseating children and stupid fat guys with hot wives.

If anyone is a fan of The Young Ones, may I recommend Guesthouse Paradiso? And when I say 'recommend', I mean, don't hate me when it makes you sick :lmao: It's Rik's "runny bottom" x 23894.

I love British comedies.
"Hello, IT?"

Oi, it's better to go with the Bottom series or liveshows. Guesthouse Paradiso was rather disappointing, but maybe that was because most of the jokes were pulled from the series.

So yeah:
Young Ones
Bottom
AbFab
Black Books
Blackadder
Little Britain
Two Pints of Lager...

and the list goes on...

Monty Python and Gervais/Merchant stuff are the only things I've found funny in British comedy.

Hey Carek your avatar is a Mighty Boosh reference eh?

Loving the Boosh right now...just waiting for my series 3 dvd to come in the post.

Blackadder series 2 is the best of all of them.

Didn't find Little Britain funny at all.

Spaced is great.

Black Books definately a winner.

Why yes it is! I've been "Booshed" of late! Hope Noel Fielding has much success in LA negotiating more Boosh-style entertainment! Thankfully it's the kind of stuff you can watch repeatedly and it gets funnier & funnier! :up:

Little Britain is hit or miss for me.. .some of it I find amusing, some not so much. Catherine Tate's another hit or miss. AbFab, Father Ted, My Family, Black Books, French & Saunders, Blackadder, Waiting for God & Mr. Bean are all hits. Honorable mention for Coupling (sooo much better than the watered down 'Friends'!), Monty Python and going waaay back, Are You Being Served?

ETA: Keeping Up Appearances :D

I think British comedy is so entertaining. They are really and always have been slightly mad borderline eccentric, ahead of our time. Some really funny zany stuff and I also love the fact that they are so much more lax regarding censorship than Americans are.

Fawlty Towers
Father Ted
One Foot In The Grave and although I think its quite not as funny as the first three......
Two Pints of Lager And A packet of Crisps. The 8th series of this has just ended and the viewers were asked to vote for which girl the character Gaz should choose. I think the reason why I enjoy it so much is because the characters are the same age as me and so you can relate to them and also they live in a tiny working class town whereby there's not a lot to do, just like myself. Therefore they tend to get up to crazy stuff to occupy their time. Many people say that it's humour is vulgar. On Wikepedia they called it's format was scattalogical or screwball similar to American Pie but this type of humour is not what I like best about it. This kind of humour is what you get from Gaz and Donna, but I think the funniest character is Louise who is similar to Pheobie in Friends just because she comes out of the unpredictable lines. I also think new character Wesley is very funny. He's very similar to Jonny who they killed off in the last series saying he was eaten by a shark :sad:

There is another comedy on BBC3 that has a similar humour to Two Pints called Coming Of Age but that is shit. I saw an episode last week and its possibly the worst comedy I've ever seen. Annoying characters, predictable jokes, shit acting. I wish they finish this programme with all the characters being eaten by a shark

I should be getting Spaced on NetFlix soon. I'll report back to you honkies later.

Comedy starring the very humourous Lee Mack 'Worst Week of My Life' is getting an American remake, called 'Worst Week', which doesn't look as good. Starring Red from That 70's Show as the father in law.

To me sometimes British humour seems a lot more effortless than American, like they're not trying as hard or stooping as low for laughs...

Back
Top Bottom