Breaking Bad II - Always say "thank you" to Walt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the notes thing is over thinking, Gale had notes, one could get information from the Internet

Well to be honest I'm not really over thinking, I just like speculating all kinds of little things. But as far as Gale goes... whole nuther ballgame. Gale had a long history with Gus and there was loyalty involved. Not even the same with Walt and the new kid.

:hmm: Anyway, if the cliff hanger doesn't involve Hank connecting at least a few dots to Walt, I'm gonna be a liiiiiitle bit disappointed.

No spoken words said:

Great read :up:

This in particular has been true for me:

Once the truth came out, and Brock recovered, I read posts insisting that Walt was so discerning, so careful with the dosage, that Brock could never have died. The audience has been trained by cable television to react this way: to hate the nagging wives, the dumb civilians, who might sour the fun of masculine adventure. “Breaking Bad” increases that cognitive dissonance, turning some viewers into not merely fans but enablers.

As COBL said, great read :up:

This part(among others) is interesting to me:

The audience now waits along with Skyler, as the narrative builds toward a finale in which anything might happen, since there will be no need to keep us watching. (A baby might die, for instance, maybe by swallowing the ricin pellet that’s tucked away in the Whites’ home.) To escape this moral checkmate, Gilligan might shift yet another character into the foreground, revealing that the show is actually (as a friend suggested) a hero’s tale in disguise. In that version of “Breaking Bad,” the protagonist is not Walt but Hank, a man with no children.

I agree with this, I've felt for a while that in the end, BB won't be the story of Walter White, but of someone else. However, I'm not sure I agree that that someone else should be Hank. For me, the character I'm always rooting for, the character I want redemption for, is Jesse.

This kid has struggled so much with the guilt, the fear, the self-loathing that comes with what he's been doing, and that has eluded Walt for the past couple seasons. You can see how much he's grown as a person since the beginning of the series and how much he regrets so many things. Much credit has been given to Cranston in recent posts in this(and the old) thread, and absolutely rightly so, but I think it's a testament to just how incredible Aaron Paul has been that he's been able to convey nearly crippling remorse, guilt, and self-hatred so well and in such a raw way that we're able to sympathize with and root for a character that has been complicit in most of the things that Walt, a character we've come to hate, has done.

I want Jesse to win, to be able to start the rest of his life, and do whatever he wants with it, without having to look over his shoulder. Of course, the only real way to have an ending like that is to do something that some might find far too predictable:

1. Jesse somehow finds out the truth about Jane and Brock(no matter what, I'll be very disappointed if Jesse never finds out).

2. Hank and the DEA somehow latch onto Jesse again, with enough proof to know he was a major player, and to put him away, and they offer him the 'your boss for your freedom' deal.

3. Knowing what Walt did to Jane and Brock, Jesse is free from any loyalty or obligation to Walt. He takes the deal, tells all, Walt is arrested, and Jesse walks free, in the process setting Skylar, Walt Jr., and Holly free, and getting justice for Jane and Brock.

I'm sure some would hate that ending for being too predictable and too 'tied up with a ribbon', but I can't help it, it's what I want to see.

Very good read there NSW. That sort of coverage makes me glad we still have 8 episodes next year to look forward to, even though the split annoyed me no end to start with.

Gonna weigh in with my take on Mike. He had an imminent exit in place, which was brought forward by the DEA. You could see the panic on his face (for the first time I believe) when Walt called to say they had his lawyer. Mike probably knew the lawyer would flip so he had to go immediately. So if Saul refused to get his bag and he wouldn't let Jesse do it, why not Walt? Yeah they'd had differences, but Mike was panicked and it was Walt who tipped him off in the first place. In that moment when he needed that bag NOW, Mike hastily accepted the offer from the one who had just helped him before. Works for me.

I predicted that Jesse kills Walt in the old thread, so, I'm down.

And MS, I don't have a problem with Mike agreeing to Walt getting the bag....my problems are entirely with when Walt delivers the bag, Mike's complete lack of keeping his guard up around someone everyone (Mike first and more than anyone else) can see has become very unpredictable and dangerous. I'll stfu now cos I'm repeating myself, but, yeah.

Oh, and, glad you cats checked the link out, I thought it was a nice read, too. :up:

:up: It was a great read.

I didn't see your prediction NSW, as I deliberately (I know, hard to believe, but I do!) avoid this place like the plague between the hours of 9pm Sunday and until I can *coughobtaincough* the show at some point on Monday :wink:

I also felt it a bit of a stretch that Mike would just turn his back on Walt like that, but this would not by any means be the first time we've been asked to believe when presented with a scenario that seems highly unlikely..so it's all part of the flavor of the show by this point.

:up: It was a great read.

I didn't see your prediction NSW, as I deliberately (I know, hard to believe, but I do!) avoid this place like the plague between the hours of 9pm Sunday and until I can *coughobtaincough* the show at some point on Monday :wink:

Oh, dude, it's not like I expect everyone to read my every post, just wanted to re-toss my hat into the Jesse triumphs ring.

I avoid this place like the plague for months at a time. :)

Yeah, I agree that he should have had his guard up when dealing with Walt directly. All I can think of is that there was no reason Mike could see for Walt killing him.

I wonder how easy Walt finds murdering people from this point on? He's definitely going to point a gun at Jesse soon.

Gvox, I hear ya.

So no one wants the Godfather Part II ending with Walt killing everyone and having to live with his own sins, huh?

MichaelEinde.jpg

So no one wants the Godfather Part II ending with Walt killing everyone and having to live with his own sins, huh?

Isn't that the whole point of the series though, that by the end he's so far gone that he wouldn't have any trouble living with his own sins?

Oh, dude, it's not like I expect everyone to read my every post, just wanted to re-toss my hat into the Jesse triumphs ring.

No worries man I wasn't meaning to come off flippant at all sorry if it read that way, just sayin that I haven't read the closed thread at all so I'm likely a bit behind.

But here's a thought..what if Walt took Mike's gun not out of any real premeditated intent to kill him, but because he felt he needed to protect himself from Mike, who, on his way out, might do something rash to him ie parting shot?

He keeps the gun, but mainly just to keep the meeting clean so to speak. But then, because he feels so slighted that Mike won't thank him (this is in line with his overworked ego, for sure) and coupled with Mike chastising him and blaming all their woes on him, and finally refusing to name the 9 people in prison, he just becomes so enraged and acts completely irrationally.

Mike, knowing that Walt always (usually) acts in an extremely calculating way and rarely quickly/impusively..and believing that Walt must know that he intended Walt no harm, would then not bother fearing/distrusting the meeting, because he would believe that Walt still very much respects him as a cold killer but one who wanted to exit quietly.

Of course, that's not how Walt's thought process panned out, but there's little (imo) to suggest that Mike would think Walt would be heading in that direction..

This theory doesn't cause me to hate Walt any less, but it somehow makes this part of the story a bit more plausible for me..

This is precisely what I've been anticipating since somewhere around the middle of season 3. And I think would be fairly consistent with the initial vision and tone of the series as it's developed.

And I think would be fairly consistent with the initial vision and tone of the series as it's developed.

I've been so convinced that Walter has to die that I have rarely stopped to consider Laz's Godfather II suggestion.

That being said, and I ask for edification, not as a challenge, how do you see that end as being consistent with the show's vision/tone?

Practically everyone but Skyler and Flynn are dead now. What points to Walt surviving this mess?

Everyone dies in this movie!

That being said, and I ask for edification, not as a challenge, how do you see that end as being consistent with the show's vision/tone?

In as simple terms as I can, for the sake of brevity, I've viewed the show as a dissection of man's ability to make "wrong" decisions for himself and for others, for all manner of intentions and reasons. Walter's made a new career of using his intellect and ego to get into and climb his way out of all sorts of improbable trouble, usually with far greater collateral damage, to others and to his own soul, than he initially plans or I think even realized after the fact.

The Godfather II conclusion seems about right. Walt could likely "win" in the end, but the most disturbed and desperate type of win.

Isn't that the whole point of the series though, that by the end he's so far gone that he wouldn't have any trouble living with his own sins?

Further gone than Michael Corleone?

Walt still loves his children. And his regret over killing Mike was not a performance for anyone.

He's not a machine.

Declan
Hank
Marie
JR
Saul
baby White
Skyler
Jesse

that's 8...so take that list and throw in a couple randoms like the kid he's teaching to cook..Brock or his mom.and you've got a real possibility of the last man standing being Walt

I sincerely hope that isn't so, however. Especially Jesse. And I actually like Saul too.

I'm sure Vince Gilligan has stated its not a matter of if Walt dies, but when.

Looked like the cancer had come back in the cold open flash forward.

I'm holding out for a Godfather 3 ending. Junior takes a bullet meant for Walt and then Walt eventually succumbs to cancer whilst eating an orange.

Much has been made of Walt and Walt J-j-j-jr's viewing of Scarface earlier in the season, but no one seems to be talking about Mike watching The Big Heat. Possibly foreshadowing there too.

lazarus said:

I go with this, and the Walt dies 3 months later from cancer.

I'd call that the "life is shit" ending.

Back
Top Bottom