Breaking Bad II - Always say "thank you" to Walt. - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station

Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #586
A childless dog

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Plus I don't think anything on Breaking Bad has ever made me cringe like Don having to button an episode in the most recent season by going, "This place turns into a real whorehouse sometimes!" Good Lord.
Hahaha I forgot about that. It's probably for the best that the show only has one season left. Give it another 3-4 and the scripts will start to look like this:

Quote:
"Life's a Bitch and Then You Die"

by Matt Weiner

[DD walks into the office stinking of Scotch. He holds the bottle of Scotch in his right hand and gestures with it]

DD: I fucking hate New York! Goddamn, LA is great. Who wants some of this?

[DD removes his pants and a brunette he's never met walks up to him]

DD: You'll have to do.

[Peggy can be seen in the background, quietly wagging her finger in disapproval. Zoom in on her so that nobody misses her.]

[Closeup of DD while having office sex]

[Fade to shot of whores having whore sex in a whorehouse so that nobody overlooks how damaging DD's childhood was. There is a parallel here that should be made apparent.]

Nameless brunette: Are you crying?

DD: No. [DD is actually crying. He is strong, but also damaged.]

[DD is disgusted that the girl would question him and throws her to the side before beginning another tirade.]

DD: Life is a series of crushing disappointments! My upper class life is a sham! Somebody fill The Emptiness! I hope I fall out a window.
Then again, give Breaking Bad another 3-4 years and Walt will be holding the southwest for ransom with some nuclear weapons he got from A Guy. All shows become caricatures after a while.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #587
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Did you actually just write that?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #588
A childless dog

No. I crafted a time machine and went to future where I acquired several approved scripts. You're gonna love Stan's spinoff.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #589
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That whole episode had a competely different tone than usual for MM, and that line was clearly tongue-in-cheek. You don't think Weiner realized how on-the-nose that was?
I thought the episode was great, but I have no idea what the point of that line was and I can't think of any manner of intention that isn't cringeworthy.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #590
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:19 PM
I'm obviously a big BB fan, but hot damn what an episode.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #591
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Not many. Louie, Doctor Who (since 1984!), Game Of Thrones, and to a less-enthusiastic extent, Orphan Black. If you want to count "miniseries-style" shows I also eagerly await the paltry 3 episodes of Black Mirror and Sherlock from the UK. I watched House Of Cards last season but won't be continuing after the shark jump of the conclusion. Gave up on Boardwalk Empire after 4-5 episodes. Gave a big middle finger to The Killing after season 1. I do plan on going through Treme soon (I liked the couple episodes I saw, as well as Deadwood (ditto) and one day, The Sopranos.
The current Doctor Who fan base ensures that I will never watch that show.

I'm pretty glad that I'm not the only one to have not seen The Sopranos yet.

Justified seems right in your wheelhouse.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #592
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:19 PM
im still waiting for my 'los pollos hermanos' & 'vamanos pest control' t shirts to arrive. I ordered them like forever ago.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #593
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
The current Doctor Who fan base ensures that I will never watch that show.
And BSG's fanbase has Muldfield.

DW won BAFTA awards over more "prestigious" shows, and from 2006-2012 it won Hugo awards for "Best Dramatic Presentation" (going to the writer and director) 6 of 7 times nominated, beating BSG several times as well as LOST. That ain't nothin'.

There's a lot of great narrative tricks in the last few seasons. Really daring, creative stuff. And you could definitely check out some of the better episodes on their own without knowing too much background or season arc stuff, see if you're interested in continuing.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #594
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:19 AM
I can't help, just as an aside, getting the feeling that 'jumping the shark' as a term now basically means little more than 'the story did something I don't like'.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #595
45:33

Local Time: 06:19 AM
There was an episode where a guy LITERALLY jumped over a shark. And it was the BEST one.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #596
45:33

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Just on MM v BB, I'm 1.5 seasons into the former and whilst I quite enjoy it, I like BB way more.

It's just been announced that like BB, Mad Men's final season is gonna be split in two.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #597
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And BSG's fanbase has Muldfield. DW won BAFTA awards over more "prestigious" shows, and from 2006-2012 it won Hugo awards for "Best Dramatic Presentation" (going to the writer and director) 6 of 7 times nominated, beating BSG several times as well as LOST. That ain't nothin'. There's a lot of great narrative tricks in the last few seasons. Really daring, creative stuff. And you could definitely check out some of the better episodes on their own without knowing too much background or season arc stuff, see if you're interested in continuing.
Maybe one day. I'll have to do it in secret.

Oh, Muldfeld <3
Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #598
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

It's just been announced that like BB, Mad Men's final season is gonna be split in two.
I'm sure they will crap it up, too.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #599
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:19 AM
The writing on Doctor Who after 2006, particularly in the later Tennant years, was largely atrocious. Woeful. Even mentioning it in a Breaking Bad thread threatens to tear the space-time contiuum apart like a cheap suit.

You want jumping the shark? I'll give you; the TARDIS towing Earth back to the solar system... by a chain. I'll also raise you the planet Gallifrey materialising right next to the Earth and people's hair ruffling in a sudden breeze. And a central protagonist raised to the status of a boring minor god (whatever happened to the unreliable renegade alien of old, a mix of smartarse and meddler, on the run from responsibility and tedium? A clever fellow, but not omnipotent).
Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #600
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I thought the episode was great, but I have no idea what the point of that line was and I can't think of any manner of intention that isn't cringeworthy.
Here's the point of it. It functions on two levels: first, the whole pacing of the episode and the exaggerated character behavior makes it come off like a live-action cartoon, so that final punchline has an appropriately WOMP WOMP bluntness to it.

Secondly, it's a callback to the previous season, namely Don's disapproval and disgust at how Joan was prostituted for the Jaguar account behind his back. Going further on this serious meaning behind the line, Don is becoming less of a team player and isolating himself, looking at the desperate pursuit of clients as shameless and not worth his time (despite the fact that he just took part in the drug-fueled lunacy preceding his statement).

So while it was an obvious metaphor and on-the-nose, I think it fit with the over-the-top nature of the episode, and had a deeper, more character-revealing meaning to give it an extra twist. Not anything I would describe as cringe-worthy.