Breaking Bad II - Always say "thank you" to Walt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How does reacting to the fact that Walt poisoned his girlfriend's kid make him clueless or worthless? Granted, he correctly assumed that Walt continually plays him like he does everyone else, but it's not like what he's selling -- Jesse leaving town to start a new life --isn't partly true.

the whole moping about the kid on the bike dying, drew, tossing two duffel bags with 5 million dollars in it out the window, he is so unstable, and always has been, he should have put in the ground a long time ago.

Walt shows goodwill by arranging for and paying for his trip out of town,
And it's not like Walt wanted to kill Brock, he did not use the ricin on him. He just wanted Jesse to try harder to help him get Gus after Gus took him out in the middle of the desert and told him he would kill him and all of his family.

Jesse finally figures out the ricin? How convenient.

Once again, Cranston is given great material and some unexpected twists (the "confession") and Jesse comes out of his emo cave only to follow the generic demands of the plot.

Weak.

Complaining about plot in Breaking Bad is really counter-productive. There were dozens of convenient situations, but those moments always pushed the characters forward and it resulted in some amazing drama with some of the best acting you'll find on TV, and of course, all packed with that unbearable Vince Gilligan tension (which started out with some of the best X-Files episodes like Pusher and Paper Hearts). Classic example in this episode was Walt in the car wash, waiting for shit to unfold.

They made the revelation perfectly believable as to how Jesse found out IMO. It could have been terribly contrived (how Walt found out Hank is up to Mike in the first half of the season comes to mind), so thank goodness they didn't come up with Jesse overhearing something, but I really thought they did a good job with it. And yeah, Walt's "confession" is one of Cranston's finest acting moments so far.

Amazing episode. This could rival season 4 of The Wire (greatest TV season ever made) in the end.

Complaining about plot in Breaking Bad is really counter-productive. There were dozens of convenient situations, but those moments always pushed the characters forward and it resulted in some amazing drama with some of the best acting you'll find on TV, and of course, all packed with that unbearable Vince Gilligan tension (which started out with some of the best X-Files episodes like Pusher and Paper Hearts). Classic example in this episode was Walt in the car wash, waiting for shit to unfold.

:up: This exactly. There have always been things like that in the plot, but it's the incredible acting in these "impossible" situations that are what is great. It always has me on an emotional roller coaster.

sorry, not that great at all

these are just the last 5 episode titles found on IMDB
with my speculation below

S5, Ep12
Sep. 1, 2013
Rabid Dog
- more wacko Jesse

S5, Ep13
Sep. 8, 2013
To'hajiilee
- with Jesse off the reservation, Walt hides out on an Indian reservation

S5, Ep14
Sep. 15, 2013
Ozymandias
- the smartest man in the world - I'd say this will be Hank with Jesse ratting out Walt

S5, Ep15
Sep. 22, 2013
Granite State
- Walt has ridden the Vacuum exit express to NH

S5, Ep16
Sep. 29, 2013
Felina
- anagram for finale, variation of small cat, does Walt use this tactic to take Jesse out

A couple more thoughts as to what the Achilles heel of this show always was - the whole plot of Breaking Bad is ridiculous in its convenience. Conveniently, the main character, who gets into meth cooking, has a brother-in-law who is a DEA agent. Conveniently, the cancer goes into remission as Walt gets his first big connections in the business, and the cancer comes back just as he made more money than he could spend and the final confrontations between the main characters are about to take place. The examples are endless. I have learned to ignore the plot contrivances of the show a long time ago.

There was a review where it was stated that one of the major complaints that the skeptics have about the show is that it is more plot-driven than it is character-driven and I couldn't disagree more. It's the characters and the crazy situations they find themselves in is what brings me back to this show. And I dare say it is "tension-driven". This is for sure the most nail-biting series that ever aired.

God lord, Walt's confession. Was anyone else just laughing out of disbelief?

Yeah, in fact this was my least favorite part of the episode because it was so unbelievable. But the rest of the episode made up for it, and I've long been willing to let a little suspension of disbelief allow me to enjoy this show. :D

Oh, I didn't think it was a weak point. It was more that Walt is such a dick that I have no idea how I should even react to him anymore, so all I could do was laugh.

And alright, maybe I was also laughing because it was kind of ridiculous. But I love it when this show gets wacky. This season's been consistently funny as well as consistently tense, and that's exactly what I want it to be.

Oh, I didn't think it was a weak point. It was more that Walt is such a dick that I have no idea how I should even react to him anymore, so all I could do was laugh.

Yes, that too. :wink:

And alright, maybe I was also laughing because it was kind of ridiculous. But I love it when this show gets wacky. This season's been consistently funny as well as consistently tense, and that's exactly what I want it to be.

:up:

I don't see how it is ridiculous. Walt's manipulations have been escalating over the course of the show and this is his biggest and smartest lie so far.

The point of the video is to buy time. Even though Hank is right, he also has only hearsay and circumstantial evidence to offer to the DEA. Walt has the same thing, and this blackmail is a warning to Hank that he has become an accessory after the fact due to the medical bills, and that he should "tread lightly", because any way this goes - Hank is in for humiliation of the highest order, which is something he dreads the most, since his insecurities were always related to how he was perceived.

I struggle to see how most of the plot points/story angles in Breaking Bad over the years are unbelievable (in the sense of 'get out of here, what is this bullshit). Audacious, yes. Ambitious, certainly. Dependent on a lot of things falling into place just so, quite so. But not illogical. And fiction is not documentary, nor should it be.

If the criticism is that it does not mirror the actual reality of DEA officers working in New Mexico, USA, and the people they encounter in the line of their investigations... well, that's another matter entirely.

SPECULATION: I think we may get showdown interruptus for Walt v Jesse due to the timely arrival of Evil Matt Damon and his neo-Nazi pals.

And cancer's coming for Walter, too.

That's the 4 horsement of the Apocalypse right there.

Amazing how Walter is now a cancer, and cancer itself.

I struggle to see how most of the plot points/story angles in Breaking Bad over the years are unbelievable (in the sense of 'get out of here, what is this bullshit). Audacious, yes. Ambitious, certainly. Dependent on a lot of things falling into place just so, quite so. But not illogical. And fiction is not documentary, nor should it be.

If the criticism is that it does not mirror the actual reality of DEA officers working in New Mexico, USA, and the people they encounter in the line of their investigations... well, that's another matter entirely.

I agree. That's what I mean with my suspension of disbelief with this show. It's written and carried out so well I don't think about any of that stuff while I'm watching. Sure the next day someone on the internet can go oh please no one can walk around with half their face missing, and then I might go, oh, ok I guess... but was I thinking that at the the time? No, I was going OH MY GOD! I don't see the logical faults that someone might point out later while I'm watching at all.

And as for things conveniently falling into place to make the story more incredible and exciting? Yeah, that's what makes some of the best fictional stories so great! That's what makes you not want to put the book down because you can't wait to see what might happen next.

I loved Walt's confession. Even though it was obvious to me that he was up tp something, that story he put together was not something I expected....yet, at the same time coming from Walt nor surprising at all. Hank, Hank..always couple of steps behind.

When did the suspension of disbelief bridge snap? Does it matter? No? Oh, okay. Let's all enjoy that HUELL is now a semi-regular.

I may have been wrong about my previous comment. Walt may or may not kill Jesse, but he (Jesse) certainly isn't like a son to Walt.

Huell sleeping in the office waiting room was classic.

Walt's confession was great, Hank's face while watching the confession was great. Im not sure that Hank doesn't kill Walt before this thing is over with.

Back
Top Bottom