Breaking Bad II - Always say "thank you" to Walt. - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #166
45:33

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox

Actually I didn't think it was bad at all. A different take on the thing, to be sure, but he raises some interesting questions.

And this part is yet another area we've been asked to suspend not only disbelief but common sense:

"Finally toward the end of the fifth season, Walter is forced to explain to a new organization that customers will pay more for his product than, say, one that was 85 percent pure. The other manufacturer seems to accept Walter’s logic even though, as an ostensibly experienced dealer, he should know it doesn’t make any sense"

Not only does it not make any sense, it's not what happens in the real world, period.
I was sort of on board with this part (but fuck, it's a tv show, a 100% authentic show about making meth would probably be shit) but once he got into the white supremacist bullshit my eyes nearly rolled out of my head.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #167
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:35 AM

Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Jessie on the big screen

Smashed - Trailer - YouTube
Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I waited until the last episode of this season aired before I started watching in order to power through all of them, and was glad I did. That really made the ending with Hank tie together, because every shot with that book was still fresh on my mind (there are a LOT of them!). Spoiler-wise, it's obvious to tell when a major character dies, just by dint of Vulture promoting an interview with the Mad Men/Breaking Bad actor the next morning, but I think lesser mentioned things like Teddy Hitler shooting that kid was a much more powerful surprise than a major cast member dying.

Lydia was a great addition to the cast, IMO, with a performance kind of....orthogonal to most everyone else on the show. There's a lot of cocky assholes colliding and manipulating and shooting each other on this show, so having her (also, a her) appear as a barely contained tornado of nerves came off very fresh. I can see how she and Gus complimented each other.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #170
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
He completely ignores the fact that the first really good meth cook in the show's chronology is Gus's Los Pollos partner, who is not white.
I don't think he ignores that at all, I think that's part of his argument: that there were really good non-white meth cookers (and, clearly, better business men) before Walt shows up, and that basically Walt is sold to us as besting them all, including Gus.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:35 PM
Gus made it in the business for a much longer time than Walt ever will have. I still consider him the most intelligent guy on the show.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #172
45:33

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Definitely. Walt was lucky Hector hated Gus, whose ultimate downfall was letting his fastidious, cautious guard down to exact revenge.

You could also blame Tyrone, who really should have seen that there was a bomb strapped to the chair before Gus came in, as well as looking more thoroughly for Walt.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #173
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
I still consider him the most intelligent guy on the show.
You read my comment about "and, clearly, better business men", right? I was obviously referring to Gus being presented as a better business man...but, he ends up being bested by Walt.

Your feelings on him notwithstanding, Walt still tricked him very well and obviously played on his inability to completely shed his "old country/cartel" grudges and habits (typical, Gus just has to kill the guy himself under some twisted notion of "honor" or whatever)...and this ultimately led to his demise. For all his "intelligence", he acted very stupidly and without his usual calculation/consideration of all the angles, and paid the ultimate price.

Gus was one of the more intelligently acted/performed roles on the show. But his character, in terms of the writing, the story, died in a moment of sheer stupidity.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I didn't mind the circumstances surrounding Gus' death. Mike's death revolved around his behaviour that was a lot dumber in many ways and he seems pretty white to me. The question of Gus' "honor" is something that I don't see being connected to his race, but to the fact that he's a sociopath and a sadist. But that's just me. In any case, I don't see Breaking Bad as a white supremacist show.

And that sentence just now made me laugh at how ridiculous it sounds.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Considering Hector, you know, fucking shot his best friend right in front of him may have slightly clouded his judgment. Plus, he'd been going there for a long time with no issues. How the hell would Walter have any clue about that? I think the biggest stretch, if there are any stretches at all, is Jesse having the wherewithal to think of that as a detail that could help Walt.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
In any case, I don't see Breaking Bad as a white supremacist show.

i don't agree with all that much in the article, and i had typed a much longer post on my mobile only to lose it to stupid Verizon dropping out, but the point of the article was not that BB somehow advocates white supremacy in the KKK/WAR model, but that the white characters in it are superior to the other characters.

think of it as the "Dances With Wolves" model. white man fears native americans, white man befriends native americans, white man is taught about life and love by native americans, white man learns much from these so-called "savages," white man is redeemed by winning their respect, white man becomes a better native american than the native americans ever were.

only this is with meth dealers.

i think this comes down to the fact that WW is initially supposed to be accessible -- that he is from the (crumbling, dying) middle class, that he could be the viewer, and thus the viewer who likely has the money to afford cable and a nice TV is going to more readily identify with the Whites and their journey than they would if the story were focused on, say, Combo. that's more a commentary on the economics of television, especially for high end cable dramas, than it is a reflection of any ideology of the show or it's creators. the program may unintentionally advance the notion of white supremacy, but that's a reflection of the medium in which it exists.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I understand where he's going with it, and I was a bit facetious in that last comment, but I simply don't think Breaking Bad falls into that mold, for reasons already mentioned. I've already noted that the meth industry in New Mexico is not as racially homogeneous as the Native American tribe in Dances With Wolves, or as the drug trading in West Baltimore, to bring The Wire into the equation.

In Dances With Wolves, Costner is, as you've stated, more noble and more "Indian" than any Native American in the end. On the other hand, Walter White is the biggest piece of shit in the end. So I guess one could make an anti-white supremacy case, since the biggest asshole in a business of back-stabbers and criminals turns out to be the white guy.

The point is - I don't see the analogy with Dances With Wolves, but I do agree with you that that film is a classic example of that kind of a problem that does appear in our pop culture.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #178
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The point is - I don't see the analogy with Dances With Wolves, but I do agree with you that that film is a classic example of that kind of a problem that does appear in our pop culture.

oh i agree -- i think that BB *isn't* the DWW model, whereas the author is arguing that it is. i think his overall point is correct, but i think he's done a not very good reading of BB to make it fit that mold.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #179
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap
. In any case, I don't see Breaking Bad as a white supremacist show.

And that sentence just now made me laugh at how ridiculous it sounds.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

To me, Walter White is doing a pretty poor job at empire-building. He'll never get to where Gus got. Simply killing Gus doesn't make him a better drug kingpin than Gus.

What Walt is really good at is making high quality product. If he hadn't gotten caught up in building a kingdom of his own, he might be in better shape now.