Breaking Bad II - Always say "thank you" to Walt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dominic_chianese-2.jpg

For me, I'm not rooting for Walt to win, I wouldn't even say somewhat. He's just gone too far. There was just a tiniest bit of sympathy... but it was just tiny. I'm for Hank all the way. But it's been a fun an interesting thing to watch happen. There probably weren't a lot of us who knew we would be rooting so hard for Hank to take Walt down when we started out.

I probably worded that wrong. I was just surprised because even as Walt was laying on the floor, saying he'd give himself up if Skylar kept the money and gave it to the kids, I didn't have the slightest sliver of sympathy for him myself.

Im not buying the idea that Walt is going send Jesse on a trip to Belize. Todd and his gang, family, that's highly possible though, along with Lydia.

Why?
These are the last people that would ever roll over on him and put him and Skyler in jail and have all his money taken away.

If it's not Jesse, then it's no one. Hank, does not even make any sense.

From a story perspective, I think it makes little sense for anything to happen to Jessie before the last episode. If at all.

His death would have an emotional impact on the viewers but wouldn't really matter inside of the story. Who - inside of the story - is going to care? So why do it? And why do it in the last episode? To make us hate Walt that much more? Maybe. The idea that there are people still pulling for Walt is not surprising but still kind of sad.

Why?
These are the last people that would ever roll over on him and put him and Skyler in jail and have all his money taken away.

If it's not Jesse, then it's no one. Hank, does not even make any sense.

Because that would almost be like killing one of his own kids.....almost

Despite their rocky relationship, he does care for Jesse, a lot.

We are near the end, this whole series will be done in 37 days.

Looking at the episode titles, I say Jesse dies in the last one and the one right before that, we catch up with Walt in New Hampshire.

Walter won't kill Jesse, but Jesse might kill himself. Based on his current frame of mind, that actually seems fairly likely.

Definitely think the end of the series is going to have a Goodfellas vibe about it.

^ I'm going for Walt watching Scarface with Walt Jr being some kind of foreshadowing, as he does utter the words 'Isn't this the one where they all die in the end?'

I'm still catching up so can't participate in this thread yet (I must be the only idiot in NM who hasn't followed this show) but this is a fascinating Op-Ed piece by Anna Gunn in yesterday's NYT that I think is worthy of discussion.

I Have a Character Issue by Anna Gunn

Great article.

Good that she pointed out similar vitriol directed at Betty Draper and Carmela Soprano, definitely indicative of a wider problem. What's interesting about Skyler is that during those first four seasons, she basically acted like a reasonable and decent human being would in that situation. After returning to Walt and becoming a willing partner, her moral arc has taken a downward turn. Walt has dragged her, as he did with Jesse, into his corruption. While not as horrible as Walt, Skyler is in no way a "good" person (of course that isn't what spurred the ridiculous hatred of her character though)

Really liked this bit

Vince Gilligan, the creator of “Breaking Bad,” wanted Skyler to be a woman with a backbone of steel who would stand up to whatever came her way, who wouldn’t just collapse in the corner or wring her hands in despair. He and the show’s writers made Skyler multilayered and, in her own way, morally compromised.

The best scene of the season, in my opinion, is Walt & Skyler's bedroom breakdown in "Fifty-One." It's a maddening, claustrophobic duel where the corruption finally tears down those beams of decency that used to hold up Skyler. Like Skyler says, she's "a coward" who can't escape her destiny now that she's complicit with Walt's laundering.

Hell, her best moments are when she manipulates a situation based around her perceived helplessness: the jewelry store, locksmith, IRS meeting, last week's "Am I Under Arrest???" moment all fit the bill. And the way that Marie has actually become a useful foil to Skyler has been masterfully done... her previous best moment being Skyler telling her to shut up, repeatedly.

Fuckin' A, this is the best show.

You know what's really annoying about the internet? When I searched "anna gunn" on google to find the story without going to this thread or looking up one of you who posted it on facebook, all the results were "Anna Gunn pens op-ed for NY Times about..." "Anna Gunn has written about..." from other websites. All of them.

Anyway, that's a really good read. Skylar isn't my favourite character but she's played with terrific conviction by Anna Gunn, and bollox is right in saying that she acted like a reasonable and decent human being would. I was always flabbergasted by people who said she was a bitch or needed to get off Walt's back... umm, how would someone react to a similar situation in real life?!

The way Anna Gunn portrays the hopelessness she's fallen into is great, and I have loved her this season in particular. "Waiting for the cancer to come back", her coldness at the dinner table. The most recent episode has set up a really interesting story for her character now.

Skyler's honestly become one of my favourite characters within the past season. She's absolutely stuck between two worlds, the same as Walt was at the beginning of the series, and it's exciting to see just how deeper she'll fall into the darkness. Anna Gunn nails it every time, and I honestly feel for her having to deal with so much shit from so-called fans.

I wanna try and guess why viewers hate Skyler so much beyond mere internet sexism, and the most I can come up with is because the dodgy things she does are more grounded in reality than most of what Walt's doing. We've all seen a pregnant woman smoking, most of us haven't seen a guy walk out of a room in a nursing home with half his face blown off. But I don't see how the hell that warrants so much hate.

Anyway, teem skylar 3ev

I'm finally caught up and agree that Skyler's descent into darkness in S5 has brought out Anna Gunn's best acting of the series.

Good theory, Sad Punk, about why viewers hate Skyler so much.

I think that hug was the hardest hug to watch that I have ever had to witness. I almost couldn't even look at the screen. Amazing how powerful this show is in the simplest actions.

And the closing scene? I couldn't even breathe!

Back
Top Bottom