Boardwalk Empire....New HBO Series.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that sucked. :angry: HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO RICHARD OMG WRITERS I HATE YOU!!!

:sad:

Honestly though it was a very good episode. I'd been not losing interest really, but just feeling a bit meh about this season. Everything felt very disconnected and spread thinly. But this episode brought some things full circle and that was good. Even though I'm PISSED OFF about Richard. :grumpy:

And he's gone. Jack Huston said this about his character, and as much as I hated to see Richard go down so sadly, he's right.

"Tragic characters have to die tragically. And that’s how you keep them in your heart forever." — Jack Huston

Not sure if anyone else sees it this way, but... I think they lost a lot when they killed off Jimmy. This show was so centered around him, there was his point of view, and Nucky's point of view. When Jimmy was gone, it lost some focus and balance because he was the connection for many of the characters. I think they did very well for the entire season following his death, because they were still dealing with the aftermath of it, and his presence was still felt. But this season sort of felt like the farther we moved from Jimmy's presence, the weaker and less connected every thing and everybody was. This episode was good because we were connected with Jimmy again, and got some closure there.

Also, everything Eli is always good. :D :up:

Well, as much as everyone loved Richard (me included), he was a killer and doomed to a tragic fate. Richard did what he was essentially supposed to do which was find a good home for Tommy. I wasn't a big fan of Jimmy's. He fucked over Nucky and got what he deserved. The show has always been centered around Nucky. Next season, Eli's son, Will, will have an even larger role than this season.

Yes the show is centered around Nucky of course, guess I worded that wrong. I meant that Jimmy was the other main focal point, and it centered around their relationship. When he was gone it sort of lost that balance. At least for me. And when just about every one of your characters are criminals you can easily say they got what they deserved, but it really isn't so black and white as that! There is a lot of depth to them with many reasons why we might pull for any of them to make it.

And I might clarify that what originally made me so upset for Richard was not that he died, but the whole reason he did. The screw up killing Chalky's daughter. That's what I meant by damn you writers, LOL. Way to sink the knife in and twist it a little for a character who is already pretty tragic! What a bunch of meanies! :sad::wink:

Wow, there's a FB page where lots of folks are pissed off that Richard died. Some, of course, vowing to never watch BE ever again. Yawn. :|

Are you sure it's all meant absolutely literally? Because that's not what I meant at all when I say something like DAMMIT I'M NEVER WATCHING THIS SHOW AGAIN. It's just an expression of emotion over losing a great character in a tragic way. Maybe some people are serious though.

I'll be just as grumpy if they off Mickey though. :eyebrow: He's not as deep a character obviously but I love every second he's on the screen. :D

I couldn't care less if they stop watching the show or not nor do I know if they're serious. I just find their rants amusing. I knew you were more or less kidding around. BE will probably save Mickey's murder for next season. How dare he use Eddie's cane? :wink:

This was the first season that wasn't an improvement on the previous one. I mean, the shit they did last year and at the end of Season 2 is pretty hard to top, but I was still expecting a bit more. Frankly, last week's episode had a lot more suspense than this week's finale. The send-off for Richard was just kind of pointless, the Chalkie conflict went nowhere...I could see Eli murdering that guy months ago and it didn't play out in an interesting fashion either.

I will say though that it was pretty creative how practically all the story lines of this season ended up culminating with one another in some unexpected fashion. Nobody could have seen the fiance-turned-murder-charges ending propping up or that it would lead Richard to get involved with Chalkie's dispute and lead to his own suicide, etc. The writing has been nothing but marvelous from day one.

I also like how they included Kelly Macdonald in the wrap-up despite her storyline being like ten minutes of this season. :lol:

Hoping this next season is the last. They can finish strong rather than with a whimper like The Sopranos. You can only keep a mobster story riveting for so long before it falls back upon the same beats and character tropes.

I quite enjoyed the season opener, especially the part where the stockbroker talks about going to see a Mickey Mouse short at the movies and then blows his brains out in front of everyone. Spoiler alert I guess, except not really.

Man, this show gets a raw deal. It's like the invisible show.

I really liked the Nucky flashbacks. I have no idea if they will continue with them this season, but it would be pretty cool if this whole season had the flashbacks of his life, each moving forward with glimpses of all the people who have shaped his life somehow along the way, and leading up to some great finale for him and the show. I wouldn't mind that at all. :hmm:

Not too many flashbacks I hope, that stuff can get overdone. but seriously, the effort they went to to get a kid who looks like a juvenile Steve Buscemi.

One wit somewhere suggested they should have just had him play himself as a kid and everyone act like it's normal, like John C. Reilly in 'Walk Hard'.

Yeah I don't mean tons of flashbacks, but I didn't think the ones in the season opener were distracting. And if he was aging in each one they could catch up to very recent flashbacks pretty rapidly, even showing something from the seven year gap. Like maybe a tie in to Rothstein's death could be a thing just for fun. :hmm:

There was one line the kid delivered, that was total Buscemi/Nucky. I remember saying OMG that kid did his homework.

Back
Top Bottom