Better Late Than Never: Your Best Movies of 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Weird that we never had a thread for this, and I don't remember people posting lists anywhere else.

1. Holy Motors (Carax)
2. Laurence Anyways (Dolan)*
3. The Master (P.T. Anderson)
4. Alps (Lanthimos)
5. Tabu (Gomes)
6. Cloud Atlas (Tykwer, Wachowskis)
7. Moonrise Kingdom (W. Anderson)
8. Once Upon A Time In Anatolia (Ceylan)
9. Zero Dark Thirty (Bigelow)
10. Life Of Pi (Lee)

H.M.: Anna Karenina, The Dark Knight Rises, Rust And Bone, From Up On Poppy Hill, Django Unchained

Acting citations: Suzanne Clement (Laurence Anyways)*, Denis Lavant (Holy Motors), Joaquin Phoenix & Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master), Melvil Poupad (Laurence Anyways)*, Marion Cotillard (Rust And Bone), Bae Doona (Cloud Atlas), Leonardo DiCaprio & Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained), Anne Hathaway & Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises), Matthew Macfadyen (Anna Karenina), Daniel Day-Lewis and James Spader (Lincoln), Jason Clarke & Mark Strong (Zero Dark Thirty).

*not released in U.S. in 2012

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. Django Unchained
3. The Cabin In The Woods
4. Skyfall
5. Moonrise Kingdom

I really, really need to see Holy Motors soon. Once I'm done with Oscar-binging, it's next.

I'll post my list in about two hours once I've seen Life of Pi.

I liked it a lot, wanted to go back for a second viewing. But it only stayed one week. This film is not for the general public, good for film buffs.

Cabin In the Woods, a lot of fun. Best Joss Whedon in 2012

Ok, pretty embarrassed to post this, but here it goes:

1.) Cabin in the Woods
2.) Django Unchained
3.) Life of Pi
4.) Amour
5.) The Master
6.) Men in Black III (What can I say?)
7.) The Secret World of Arietty (And if you don't want to count that, just put Dark Knight Rises at #10)
8.) Moonrise Kingdom
9.) The Avengers
10.) Lincoln

I'm ignoring the specific ratings I gave each film and am instead choosing "favorites" based on how much thought and attention I've put into each film since seeing it. Basically, these are the films that I found most worth returning to, either for artistic merit or narrative depth.

1. Amour
2. The Master
3. Django Unchained
4. Lincoln
5. Skyfall
6. Life of Pi
7. Cabin in the Woods
8. Frankenweenie
9. Looper
10. Moonrise Kingdom

I suspect the ranking of #1 and #2 could flip, but the mere fact that I badly want to return to these films makes them worthy for their respective spots and pretty far ahead of the pack. Those are the two movies this year that truly wormed their way into my head.

Still waiting to see Like Someone in Love in theaters, which should be in a couple weeks for a final list that I'll likely write-up for my blog, but right now I'm feeling (going by IMDB dates as far as I know without checking):

1. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
2. Cosmopolis
3. Tabu
4. Passion
5. Holy Motors
6. In Another Country
7. Lincoln
8. Amour
9. Resident Evil: Retribution
10. Magic Mike

Also really need to see Night Across the Street, Leviathan, NO, Post Tenebras Lux, Lawrence Anyways, Spring Breakers, Paradise: Love and a couple others before I'm really happy, but there it stands.

Some honorable mentions to Jack Reacher, Zero Dark Thirty, The Master (which I have to rewatch still, and it will likely then crack into the top 10), Pitch Perfect

The best all around thing I've seen from last year though might still be Shinichiro Watanabe's Kids on the Slope, which plays with more cinematic confidence than most films I saw last year, despite being animated, produced for tv, not necessarily highly budgeted, and long-form.

Back
Top Bottom