Better Call Saul - hell yeah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
I've watched the opening two minutes
And I can tell this is going to be solid.

Lightning can strike twice.

First episode had an interesting pace structure. It was slow ... really slow, for the first 40 minutes (not a criticism here, as it seemed appropriate), and then suddenly a shit ton of stuff was happening in the last ten. And I definitely did not see that ending coming, though some people apparently did.

It's off to a good start. I'm not sure I was really expecting anything (although, it was probably not going to be rubbish). Love the cinematography as usual... it's like we never left New Mexico.

Yessss. I'm in on this. Really happy with the first two episodes, especially the Tuco stuff. That scene out in the desert was so very Breaking Bad-esque and it made me happy.

And I do think Odenkirk is good enough to pull this off.

Saul didn't appear on Breaking Bad until after Tuco was killed, right? Did Saul even know that Walt had worked with Tuco?

I will never watch this. Pathetic that Gilligan had to go back to the well, and Odenkirk was my least favorite part of BB and one of the reasons I never took the show very seriously.

This show has started incredibly promisingly. Amazing television already. I worry that it will lose some of the impact that BB had as it was paced so well, and just kept escalating right through. That obviously can't happen the way this has started, but man, my admittedly low expectations have been destroyed. Very excited to see more.

I will never watch this. Pathetic that Gilligan had to go back to the well, and Odenkirk was my least favorite part of BB and one of the reasons I never took the show very seriously.

i thought this spin off was a joke. sounded like a horrible idea to me, didn't that character overstay his welcome after 2 episodes?

i thought this spin off was a joke. sounded like a horrible idea to me, didn't that character overstay his welcome after 2 episodes?

What purpose does it serve to go in to a thread about a TV show you've never seen to tell people you think the concept is stupid?

I think what I've seen of Parks and Rec isn't very funny at all, but I feel no need to go into that thread and post that thought because a) I've only ever seen 2 or 3 episodes and b) it's a thread for fans of the show and waltzing in and saying "lol ur show sux" (without having seen any more than 1% of it) contributes nothing to the discussion and just annoys people.

I dunno, not trying to be a dick here but it seems borderline troll-ish to me.

I've only had time to sit and watch the first of the two episodes so far, but what I've seen is fantastic. I figured this show would either be a home run or a complete whiff, and the first episode is very promising. Loved the ending reveal, I can't wait to watch episode 2 tonight and see where this goes.

Mike working in the toll booth at the courthouse was hysterical :lol:

Typical Laz post, really!

But I can't say I'm super excited for this (if I was I'd download it illegally). But definitely interested. Saul was always a great character on Breaking Bad I thought. Provided good levity and without him we wouldn't have had Huell or whoever it was Bill Burr played.

What purpose does it serve to go in to a thread about a TV show you've never seen to tell people you think the concept is stupid?

I think what I've seen of Parks and Rec isn't very funny at all, but I feel no need to go into that thread and post that thought because a) I've only ever seen 2 or 3 episodes and b) it's a thread for fans of the show and waltzing in and saying "lol ur show sux" (without having seen any more than 1% of it) contributes nothing to the discussion and just annoys people.

It's not borderline trollish. He IS being a troll! Nothing new for Lazzy. But, I suppose "victory" has been achieved because here we are pointing out his foibles.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Saul even though I only occasionally watched BB. I'm sure at some point, I'll have to go back and binge watch BB to catch up on all of it.

I think Bob Odenkirk is very funny. I remember seeing him for the first time on the HBO show, Mr. Show, with David Cross. They were hilarious.

Can't really say there's a point to posting when I haven't got anything discussion-worthy to say so that part's on me, but couldn't I have come in here out of curiosity? I thought the character was so played out in Breaking Bad and the least likely to be able to carry a spin off for that reason. so yeah I'm sort of curious how that could be a show. By your logic, the only people who can click on a thread have to already be fans? The app must have cut that part of the thread title off.

Also, 2 episodes of parks & rec = not enough for a real opinion. 2 episodes of better call Saul = you're a fan?

Can't really say there's a point to posting when I haven't got anything discussion-worthy to say so that part's on me, but couldn't I have come in here out of curiosity? By your logic, the only people who can click on a thread have to already be fans? The app must have cut that part of the thread title off.

Not at all.

You're allowed to have a negative opinion about a TV show. For example there's a lot of debate within the Walking Dead thread about if the show is any good at all. It's totally fine because we're discussing it with actual examples of things that happened within the show, and people who don't like it genuinely gave it a shot and have reasons for not liking it.

If you had tried to watch the show, or even watched Breaking Bad (your post makes it pretty evident that you have only a passing familiarity with the character of Saul, which means you evidently didn't watch the show much), then sure, comment all you want about how you don't like it and what you don't like. No big deal.

Your post was equivalent to watching one episode of Cheers and then saying the entire series of Frasier was prima facie a dumb idea.

Also, 2 episodes of parks & rec = not enough for a real opinion. 2 episodes of better call Saul = you're a fan?

I think that's fair when I already have a familiarity with the main character of Better Call Saul from having watched him on ~3 seasons of Breaking Bad, knowing the writing/directing/showrunning quality of the original series, and where the story ultimately ends up. I have lots of outside context to base my opinion on other than these two episodes (well, the one I watched so far anyways).

I have zero outside familiarity with Parks and Rec, its characters, its style, or the general story arc, so I have no other context whatsoever to base an opinion on other than explicitly what I have watched.

Seasons 2 and 3 of The Office are better than Parks and Rec but overall Parks and Rec is a better show. Like The Office, it had a really rocky start with Season 1 but found its footing in Season 2.

Seasons 2 and 3 of The Office are better than Parks and Rec but overall Parks and Rec is a better show. Like The Office, it had a really rocky start with Season 1 but found its footing in Season 2.

I have no idea what season the episodes of Parks and Rec actually were from, they were just ones that I happened to catch randomly on TV. I imagine it would be a different story if I started from the beginning. I'm sure if I did the same for The Office I would also think it wasn't that great, but I watched that starting from the first episode (up to season 5ish I think? I couldn't keep going, it was losing a lot of steam for me) and so got to experience the character development and story progression, and found that I really enjoyed the first 3(ish) seasons.

I guess in hindsight I was really just watching it for the Jim/Pam will-they-or-won't-they, I think when they finally got together is when I started losing interest but kept going for a while longer until I just lost interest in starting a new episode, and never did.

Yeah, that's about when I stopped watching The Office regularly as well. I found Parks and Rec to be much more consistent throughout its run.

Saw episode 3 yesterday.

Some great, tense moments and some real funny moments too. The scene where he goes off looking for the family was great. I like how un-confident he is in his own abilities and the way the series is set up rather than have him be smarmy Saul Goodman from day one. :up:

I'm a huge fan of the scenes with Mike too :lol:

Basically, yes.

We're seeing the story of how Saul Goodman became "Saul Goodman!" up to the point (presumably) where he and Walter first met in season 2 of BB.

Back
Top Bottom