Better Call Saul - hell yeah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
151337.gif

let's fuckin goooo

The writers really have a hell of a challenge explaining why in BB Saul thinks Lalo is alive and Gus indirectly states he is dead to Hector. I suppose the "did Lalo send you?" line could be referring to a threat Lalo made before he died, but that seems a bit too convenient.

i'd say they played it perfectly.

My god, that felt like a finale. The BB universe has simply given us some of the best TV ever made.

Really didn't expect SPOILER *Lalo* SPOILER to die quite this soon but knew it was gonna go down once he decided to have Gus give him the tour of the lab. Fucking thrilling.

lalo and howard both buried in the same grave under the floor of the super-lab makes that whole breaking bad arc way more chilling. holy fuck.

Last edited:
I was critical of the first half of the season, but I greatly appreciate that the show tied off several lingering questions in the last few episodes. That cleans the slate for a deep exploration of the show's central relationship - Kim and Jimmy - for the final episodes.

there's also the question of how jimmy becomes involved with Gus - and i think the first thread of that backstory was started in this last episode

gus seemed overly interested and intrigued by the fact that Jimmy/Saul was able to talk Lalo into sending Kim instead

i think we'll also see Gale come back into the picture here over the next couple of episodes

gus seemed overly interested and intrigued by the fact that Jimmy/Saul was able to talk Lalo into sending Kim instead

I read that scene as Gus realizing Kim and Jimmy are decoys because Lalo would never be talked out of a genuine plan. That's why he rushes to the lab right afterwards.

Agree with IYup, it’s confirmed when we see Mike’s guys rush away from the laundry and Lalo is already waiting outside.

Great visual storytelling, letting the characters thoughts play out on their faces. I may have only followed thanks to a recent series rewatch, but Jesse realising the ricin cigarette ploy as he’s waiting for Robert Forster was the same and so gratifying to watch.

Can’t wait. I’m already counting down the hours of work today. I love that we are getting some great TV during the Summer/sports off-season. The new GOT prequel starts the week BCS ends, and then football will be starting again too

I'm extremely curious if they are going to be able to make the Walt and Jesse guest appearances into something more than fan service.

there's also the Carol Burnett character that's yet to debut... plus i can't believe for a minute that Monday is the last we'll see of Kim Wexler.

And on that note... i'm not crazy on how they transitioned from breakup to Jimmy is full on Breaking Bad Saul. i knew there'd be a time jump at some point - but i think they kind of left a lot out.

maybe they'll fill in some of the gaps on the next episode

It was an excellent episode on its own but definitely felt a little odd/misplaced considering it's so close to the end of the series.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I’d prefer they stay in the Gene timeline for the rest of the show. I don’t feel any particular need to revisit the BB timeline. Maybe the Walt and Jesse guest spots can be brief flashbacks or something.

disagree.

there's more to the story yet to be told. it seems very odd for a show that has been so meticulous about its story telling to all of a sudden just start jumping around - leaving out huge parts of the story.

so kim and jimmy broke up - ok. that's it? no more Kim? Gus and Mike, their story is gone now?

jimmy/saul wasn't quite BB saul yet - how did that final transition happen? he doesn't have a close connection with gus yet but he does in BB - how does that happen?

it almost seems like they realized they're running out of time and from the flash forward to saul scene through last night it's kind of been all over the place. seems weird to dedicate an entire episode to Gene when there's clearly more of the Jimmy becomes Saul timeline left to explore.

however the last few episodes go here i hope they're able to pull it back in.

i didn't like the fake electricity allergy angle with chuck in the first two seasons - but they had an amazing cap to that one with that court scene. so i have faith that they'll bring it all back here - and perhaps there's a point to why they flash forwarded further here that i'm just not seeing.

they also, ya know, need some drama here. last night was very procedural, and other than the brief moment where the guy smacked his head on the floor, it was pretty ho hum.

only 3 episode to go...

Personally I feel like Gus and Mike were left in definitive ending spots - I thought the one for Gus was particularly satisfying. I believe there was an interview with one of the showrunners where they said Kim's story would have a clear ending as well, so we can assume she's coming back. There's any number of ways that could happen in the Gene timeline. Something that's been consistent with this show is pushing certain motifs to the precipice but avoiding tumbling over the cliff - the time jumps would qualify in that regard, so I don't see them doing another. But who knows. I just appreciate that these last few episodes are still blank slates.

fair - and i do think we'll be back in Omaha at some point. They didn't bring in Carol Burnett to do a one off episode with a handful of scenes.

just read this interview with one of the show's producers on EW - i think we're still in for a lot of ups and downs. ...

Last week, the show took viewers right from a devastated Jimmy to a godless Saul. This week, it surprised by delving solely into Gene, where there's a lot of unfinished business. Will this largely be the homebase timeline for the final three episodes, or will the story jump all around in time?

ALISON TATLOCK: Well, [laughs] that is a tough question to answer right now. So I am going to plead the fifth and say we will have to wait and see what happens moving forward.

[Writer-producer] Gordon Smith hinted that these final episodes will throw some curveballs, take some big, weird swings, and take fans down some roads they don't see coming. So just when fans think they have their footing, should they stay on guard?

Well, that is certainly true of this episode. We did consciously defy expectations and we would never do that if it felt inorganic or forced; we really try to honor where the story wants to go and where the characters are moving. And it felt right to us to, finally, in this season — much later in the game than we're used to — go into Omaha world. Even though some could argue it was the wrong time. To us, it felt like it was the right time. [Laughs] We did acknowledge that people might be yelling at us either internally or out loud, but it seemed like it would be worth it in the end. I hope it was.

she also describes next week's episode as "harrowing"

you both make some very excellent points.

the showrunners have always paid off the audience's patience during this show (and BB), so i am fully trusting that they'll nail this one too, even if i have a hard time myself seeing from here how it's going to successfully land in only 3 more episodes.

Something I noticed is the only line from previews/teasers we haven't heard in an episode yet is Kim reciting the legal oath thing. I'm curious how that will enter the plot.

Also the Brandon Weedon reference reminded me what a clusterf**k the Browns quarterback situation has been for multiple decades now.

Back
Top Bottom