Better Call Saul - hell yeah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know how others feel, but I'm irritated that they didn't reveal what was said in that phone call to Kim's supposed workplace. The coyness with all the red herring teasers and deliberate obfuscation of plot points is really getting a bit much IMO.

I have to watch it again tonight. My first impression was that it was good not great, but I was also at a sportsball game until 10:30 and had a few overpriced champagne cocktails so I'm not sure if that's impacting my judgement.

It was much better than Nippy, but that's not saying a ton. I'd have preferred they finish up the pre-Gene storyline with two dedicated BB era episodes and then closed with 2 Gene episodes vs. this back and forth thing, but we'll see how they close out the next two.

I also think it's quite obvious how Gene is going to get caught now based a on last night, and I don't think it's the drugged up cancer patient that died him in

From today's NYT... an interesting dilemma, and I can't find much debate with this

One way to look at this: The show is emphasizing its own identity rather than ending with the sort of crescendo we watched in “Breaking Bad.” Another way: It’s disappointing that viewers are not currently in a frenzy of anticipation over the life and death of any number of people. Instead, we’re waiting to find out if Gene’s secret identity will remain intact, and whether he’ll win back Kim.

I don't know how others feel, but I'm irritated that they didn't reveal what was said in that phone call to Kim's supposed workplace. The coyness with all the red herring teasers and deliberate obfuscation of plot points is really getting a bit much IMO.

apparently on the german dub of the show, the phone conversation was partially audible. someone on reddit posted this translation, no idea how accurate it is though:

German: „Du hast keine Ahnung was ich getan, oder nicht getan habe, okay? Wieso stellst DU dich nicht, auf mich musst du keine Rücksicht nehmen, ich kann nur EINMAL gehängt werden. Okay, hör zu, Kim, wieso reden wir überhaupt darüber. Wir beide sind zu clever…

English translation: (The beginning is inaudible…but it’s mid-sentence and he is already upset about what Kim must have said): “(…) you have no idea what I did or didn't do, okay? Why don't YOU turn yourself in, you don't have to be considerate of me, I can only be hanged ONCE. Okay, look, Kim, why are we even talking about this. We're both too smart...“

https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCall...inaudible_conversation_in_the_phone_booth_is/

i don't mind not hearing the conversation. i didn't feel like i was missing any really important details by not hearing one side of a screaming match over a payphone for several minutes. in fact i think the few seconds of seeing him yelling in the phone booth got the jist across just as well as actually filming the conversation would have. and it gave us more time for stuff that actually advanced the plot.

also, last night's episode redeemed a lot about the previous one, which was very much a relief.

apparently you can no longer nest spoiler tags inside themselves. or maybe the quote tags messed it up. oh well

ETA: i also just read that one of the producers confirmed in an interview with rolling stone that we will hear the full phone conversation at some point in the next two episodes.

Last edited:
What you posted seems to confirm he did indeed speak to Kim. From the episode, it wasn't entirely clear whether he spoke to Kim or just someone at the company.

These last two episodes have been damn good, but they're really missing Kim Wexler.

I particularly loved the transition from Saul walking in to Walt's school (which was a memorable scene in BB) to Gene walking in to the man's house in Omaha.

I hope they can stick the landing with this like they did with BB. Penultimate episode tonight!

I have to watch it again tonight. My first impression was that it was good not great, but I was also at a sportsball game until 10:30 and had a few overpriced champagne cocktails so I'm not sure if that's impacting my judgement.

It was much better than Nippy, but that's not saying a ton. I'd have preferred they finish up the pre-Gene storyline with two dedicated BB era episodes and then closed with 2 Gene episodes vs. this back and forth thing, but we'll see how they close out the next two.

I also think it's quite obvious how Gene is going to get caught now based a on last night, and I don't think it's the drugged up cancer patient that died him in

and, yea, to my point in how it's obvious how Gene gets done in after last episode? Marian's laptop. You don't bring in a star like that for an insignificant part.

Tonight's episode was great. The first part with Kim going through the mundane boredom of her life now was, well, boring... but that was kind of the point, wasn't it? To show how boring her life is now. Yup yup yup yup yup.

The rest of it was tremendous. Kim breaking down on the airport bus was a heartbreaking scene.

Also the Jesse appearance was so well done. Honestly if they had not told us that they were coming back and that was the first scene to feature Jesse? It would have been mind blowing. It was still pretty perfect, but it was pulled back a little knowing that it was coming - much like we know that we'll see Walt one more time based on what's been reported.

My hope after the so so of the last two episodes was that it was a set up for a great finish, and tonight was a great episode. So maybe they really will land the plane here after all.

i got major Helly R from Severance vibes during those workplace scenes.

great episode for many reasons. bring on the finale. :up:

I've been watching shows with the closed captioning on for years and you catch a lot of stuff that is nearly silent or barely audible. Sometimes you even get spoiled from a person off camera who speaks and they put that character's name in parenthesis before their dialogue.

Also, they don't say "yup". They say "yep". There's a lot of that. :wink:

I've never been a yepper. Usually a yupper. :wink:

All I can say is that was some shit with Kim on the bus. The gravity of everything finally resonating emotionally. Can't believe it's all over next week.

It’s been a wild (almost) 15 year ride in the Breaking Bad universe. Sad to see it come to an end tonight.

It’s been a wild (almost) 15 year ride in the Breaking Bad universe. Sad to see it come to an end tonight.

Usually I go into a period of mourning when one of the shows I've become a heavily invested fanatic of comes to a close. It happened with The X-Files, The Sopranos, The Wire(although I did not see the show during its glorious run), The first season of True Detective and especially with Breaking Bad.

I was excited to hear about Better Call Saul going into development and later into production, but had my doubts. I trusted the people involved, but spinoff series rarely work - I guess Fraiser is the big, glaring exception that comes to mind? The shadow Breaking Bad casts is expansive, but maybe Saul was the one character from BB who could get out from under the monolith and do something really compelling. I was cautiously optimistic, admittedly though it took a while for me to decide whether I liked it or not(I'd say, for the first three seasons, the flash forwards were far and away my favorite part...as opposed to the actual story). It seemed to take some time for the show to gain form and find an identity of its own - granted, this is coming from someone who has yet to go back and properly rewatch from the beginning.

I'm so glad I stuck it out. It turned out to be so totally different than what I would have expected, yet delivered so much more than I could have hoped. This show is definitely going to be added to the aforementioned list. It is the end of a truly unique and transfixing universe. It's been one wild ride.

Anyway, I guess at this point the happiest ending Jimmy/Saul/Gene could come away with here is to realize who he is, see the futility of what he's doing, and turn himself in. I think it's important he didn't hurt or kill Carol Burnett because that leaves a shred of humanity left in him. Quite honestly, it's not so hard to see him thriving in a prison environment if he plays his cards right. He might be happier there than at Cinnabon. He could still run his scams and give out legal advice. Sort of an Andy Dufresne like existence....except he's guilty.

Maybe, in the last scene, Kim comes to visit him, or he gets a care package from Huell's church. I'm still holding out faint hope there will be an appearance of Huell. The Kim visit ending is probably a little too happy of an ending for the Breaking Bad universe though.

As for the supposed scene with Bryan Cranston, I've heard some theories it will be while Walt and Saul are hiding out in Ed's vacuum cleaner store. Seems like Saul is pretty much at the same point where he advised Walt to turn himself in. Makes sense, but who knows. They've done a great job of subverting expectations so far. If it's as good as the Kim & Jessie scene then it's all good.

I find this hit me harder and moved me more than I was even expecting. Brilliant finale. Had tears in my eyes during multiple individual moments. Marie's entrance (which was completely unexpected and made me vividly remember how f'ng awesome Hank was), Kim deciding to volunteer at the law office. And especially the last cigarette.

What a hell of a run for the Heisenverse.

Spoiler tags would still be good, just sayin
Genuinely, why?

It's a dedicated thread for a show on a dead message board. If anyone who cares about this show is fucking dumb enough to open the thread and actually read a post and get spoiled then...I don't even know what to tell you.

Fuck outta here with the spoiler tags for TV shows in dedicated threads. I don't even know how to use them on the mobile app anyway.

Better Call Saul had what I would label an appropriate ending.

Gaffy has forced me to agree with him in regard to the spoiler matter. If one doesn't want to be spoiled, they shouldn't look in the thread. I still have a desktop computer, so it's easy for even a computer novice like me to utilize a spoiler tag and I do so in fairness to freaks like Headache who dare step in here without seeing the latest episode. :wink:

Quick back story. I only passively watched BB. If my SO was watching BB, I'd usually be doing something else and only half paying attention. But, I did catch a few of the last episodes and saw everything wrapped up. Since Bob and Mr. Show, I've have always been a Bob O. fan. His starring role in BCS compelled me to watch the show. Loved all the characters. Sure, the storytelling was slowly paced at times, but it's all about the long game. Will we ever see Walter White or Jesse again?

Last edited:
Genuinely, why?

It's a dedicated thread for a show on a dead message board. If anyone who cares about this show is fucking dumb enough to open the thread and actually read a post and get spoiled then...I don't even know what to tell you.

Fuck outta here with the spoiler tags for TV shows in dedicated threads. I don't even know how to use them on the mobile app anyway.

here's a spoiler for you... To use them? You write spoiler twice. Once with [ ] around the word, once with [/ ] around the word.

This is the first time I have been happy that a show I was highly invested in is over. I think the show bought far too much into the hype declaring it a piece of high art, and was ultimately worse off for it. IMO the best shows work on two levels: as superficial, casual entertainment; and as immersive experiences that reward attention to detail. The second half of this season in particular completely lost that first dynamic, to the point that I can’t imagine a scenario where I would watch it again. And maybe the bevy of red herrings, sleights of hand, and suggestive but ultimately meaningless visuals would have been justified if the show had something profound to say about the human condition - but it didn’t. Things felt extremely labored, like the writers had given themselves a quota of easter eggs and self-references for each episode.

The high point was the acting from the leads, which was consistently fantastic. Odenkirk and Seehorn keep saying in interviews that they felt lucky the writers gave them such great material to work with, but IMO the writers really should be thanking them for selling a lot of the wankery they came up with, like an extended montage of a guy eating cinnamon rolls. Think about what this season would have been with lesser actors.

Having said all that - I wish there were an alternate universe where I discovered this show five years in the future and binged it without access to any of the real-time buzz. Instead I waded into all the reviews and theory videos, where the endless declarations of the show’s brilliance started to sour me on the whole thing. And yeah, it’s probably stupid to turn on a show because of its fans, but that’s where I’m at. Not that anyone should give a shit, but I’d grade this season a B- or a C+.

This show was amazing and a true rival to Breaking Bad up until the point where Lalo died, Kim and Jim broke up, and the time jumps became the norm.

I'm choosing to consider everything after the breakup to be an epilogue.

I actually think that they had so many threads heading into the final season that they either needed a few more episodes or even another full season to close them all out properly. For the first time in the Breaking Bad universe things felt rushed.

So Kim broke up with Jimmy. Ok. Now he hates her. Nice life, Kim. Great. But the show needed to delve further into how the breakup led to Jimmy devolving further into Saul. He was still Jimmy first, Saul second at the breakup.

What about the finish of the super lab?

There was time for the show to run side by side with Breaking Bad that didn't need heavy Cranston/Paul involvement.

The Gene full episodes, with the cab driver, seemed like a forced way or attempting to close all of the plot lines.

Last edited:
I’ve been on vacation since Jimmy and Kim broke up, so have just finally finished up the series. Thoughts:

Felt that Gus and Mike got a satisfying end after Lalo was killed. It sets them up for when they’re to be introduced in Breaking Bad without going overboard.

But boy was the time jump abrupt. I get that losing Kim was the final tether breaking him from Jimmy into Saul but it was very jarring.

The first Gene / heist episode was clearly only done to close out the season premiere scenes plot line. Could have done with more buildup and work out into getting him to the point of breaking into the cancer dudes house in the next ep. For such a short episode it was very rushed.

Always great to see Walt and Jesse, especially together.

The final two episodes with Kim were the strongest of the back 4, proves that she is absolutely integral to this show. As said by others, her breakdown in the bus was phenomenal.

As with Breaking Bad, the end game post-breakup / Ozymandias felt less organic and more “written”. They had a final point in mind and pushed characters to it rather than letting them find their own way as in most of the series. Neither one is an all timer in my mind being “merely” competent and satisfying plot wise, but without the real emotion of The Shield or even Spartacus. But the final scene between Jimmy and Kim (ditto Walt and Jesse) was gorgeous.

Overall, BCS was a stronger show when it was unshackled from BB. Kim, Nacho, Lalo (and Jimmy!) were fantastic characters and I’ll miss them and their world.

Last edited:
So Kim broke up with Jimmy. Ok. Now he hates her. Nice life, Kim. Great. But the show needed to delve further into how the breakup led to Jimmy devolving further into Saul. He was still Jimmy first, Saul second at the breakup.

What about the finish of the super lab?

Regarding these points:

Saul was definitely cut up over the divorce papers when we see him bouncing that ball and putting off the meeting before calling Kim inside. Rather than let her see him hurting he went full on offensive “you can’t fire me I quit” mode.

Gus tells Mike to start hiring new guys for the super lab in their last scene together, with Lalo and the cartel off his back it was probably smooth sailing. Never liked that plot line in S4 as it felt like busy work just to give the actors something to do, but it gave us Lalo and Mike taking Werner out to the desert so not a total waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom