Battlestar Galactica Seasons 4 & 4.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to be wrong, it is reassuring. :wink:

It seems there are a lot of unanswered questions.

I do think Starbuck's "true state of being" will be resolved.

I am not certain we will get the same for Baltar.
How did he survive the nuclear holocaust?
Why/ how did he see and interact with his invisible no. 6?

Man, great episode last night. It was a slow build-up but the final sequence with the Watchtower reappearance / bathroom sex scene / Hera kidnapping / FTL jump was all worth it.

So, one more hour-long episode, then part one of the finale which is one hour, and then the second part of the finale which will be two hours.

Here's my review of "Islanded in a Stream of Stars":

This was a terrible episode, partly to do with the story and dialogue, but mostly to do with editing things down to less than understandable levels. This is not a coherent or well-told story; it's a jumble of ideas edited down to a standard TV time format, but it cannot stand as a piece of art the way the series managed to do with all its episodes from Season 1 through 2 and with increasing difficulty in Season 3 after "Occupation"/"Precipice".

None of the dramatic moments felt given their due and were ridiculously reduced not just to the bare essentials but even to less than what was essential -- leaving me in confusion about what exactly the characters were talking about, like the scenes in question were really missing something to bring the drama all home. Some examples are Baltar's talk about angels; this really needed elaboration; so did his melodramatic reaction to Caprica 6; there was no sense of how or why exactly he burst into tears. Lee comforting Starbuck lasted, what, 30 seconds?

I'm sick and tired of the Adama melodrama about his stupid ship. This has been going on for 4 episodes and it's just not moving at all; it feels so forced. All this mourning about the ship, but not a single word about the tragedy of Gaeta -- about what Adama and the rest felt about what happened to him and about how they might have failed him? or not, but we need more closure. There naturally would be some discussion about what happened. Same with Lee and Tom Zarek. Nothing. But we must hear on and on about Adama's pain over his silly ship?

Also, I don't find Roslin/Adama scenes moving at all -- not since "Six of One", when they had that neat argument. It's so overplayed and not moving at all. I just don't care. If there's one flaw in the show, besides Ron Moore's terrible editing job, it's the inability to convey pure joy; it always has a jocular edge to it or feels awkward. The pain of unrequited love or lost love is beautifully conveyed (not in this episode, but in that amazing love quadrangle in Season 3 that made "Unfinished Business" and "Takin' a Break" so incredible), but that ability to communicate subtle romance is something only Chris Carter was able to do on The X-Files.

More than that the story itself was poorly and predictably written. The Boomer/Hera scenes were the least offensive; the little girl acted extremely well; I remember calling for my mother that way. However, there were many other problems.

1. The scene of having the Number 6 save the human who criticized her work was so predictable: It was like they said, "Let's have more evidence of cylons being better than humans." I have no problem with this mission statement; I've long felt that the genius of the show is to depict the dehumanization and homogenization of "the other" and that we are all capable of the same kindness and cruelty. However, a more interesting way should have been found. Also, is it me or do all the Number 6's act in the same boring determined way? I haven't seen any amazing acting from Tricia Helfer since Gina or Head Six (who is my dream woman).

2. Having Adama break down into a fit at the loss of his ship; his breakdown was far more effective when he lost it over Tigh revealing he was a cylon in "Revelations". Even the way Tigh tried to comfort Adama felt like the same old stuff; just dull. The dialogue wasn't the greatest, although it hasn't been since Mark Verheiden's incredible sign-off; he is the series' unsung hero.

*Okay that Helo/Adama scene was beautifully acted by Tamoh Penikett; more of this please. I also liked Starbuck slapping Baltar and how Baltar was riling people up, but we needed more footage to get a sense of why he was doing it and what he was trying to say exactly that was so revolutionary or dangerous to those who knew Starbuck.

3. The numerous references to past moments from other episodes doesn't feel natural. It's too self-consciously done. Starbuck remembers the exact phrasing of how she's "put a bullet in [Anders'] head" if she found out he were a cylon? More than that, it wasn't an interesting thing to say. Also, Adama and Roslin reminiscing about their moment on New Caprica and the way they referenced it felt wrong somehow. I'd hoped Michael Taylor had dispensed with this after the awful "Razor", which committed the same crimes, but he's doing it again in his second worse story; the worst was the unforgivable "Razor". It's sad to see him sign off this way because his stuff in Season 3 was nothing short of phenomenal; even "The Ties That Bind" and especially "Sine Qua Non", which wonderfully explored the revelatory idea to me of suppressed ambition, were some of Season 4.0's bright spots.

Ron Moore should include extended versions of the episodes -- not like "Unfinished Business, which I never thought needed a longer cut and whose cut left in a lot of Dualla crap -- but more like "Pegasus (extended version)" or "Lay Down Your Burdens 2". If he can't do it, ask why the writers and directors can't have their cuts on DVD, too.

This show will live on in DVD; he absolutely must get this right because the show is really sucking nowadays. Season 3 (everything to do with Lee and Gaeta; everything to do with Baltar's trial; working class rights; New Caprica; the whole theme of the complicated politics in an occupied regime and the dispensation of justice afteward; even "A Day in the Life") was so much better!

PS: According to music composer Bear McCreary, he was asked to score more music for an extended version of this episode, as well as Ron Moore's episodes "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" and the finale, "Daybreak". Still, there was 40 minutes cut from "Blood on the Scales", including a proper explanation of how Baltar felt about running away from problems; I also want more of Tom Zarek to show that he wasn't just a killer, but idealistic and well-intentioned in his own way; as it is, the story shot doesn't give him enough moral ambiguity; I also want more of our dear sweet Gaeta; I mourn their deaths.

the end is nigh

many of us will have unresolved issues

The frakkin' series conclusion of Battlestar Galactica
By Craig Takeuchi

And so, the countdown begins.

The two-hour series finale of the much-celebrated sci-fi drama Battlestar Galactica, in its fourth season, is fast approaching.
The final episode will air on Friday, March 20

The cast includes Canadian actors Tricia Helfer, Grace Park, Tahmoh Penikett, and Aaron Douglas.

Of the filming of the conclusion, "Daybreak", Helfer, who plays Number Six on the show, was quoted in a press release as saying
"Everyone reacted differently…some people cried, I felt like I was punched in the stomach."

During its run, the series has garnered critical acclaim, including four Emmy awards.

I also want more of Tom Zarek to show that he wasn't just a killer, but idealistic and well-intentioned in his own way; as it is, the story shot doesn't give him enough moral ambiguity

Perhaps that's because he's not actually as morally ambiguous as you'd like him to be. I'm not all that surprised you gravitated towards him as a character, though.

Perhaps that's because he's not actually as morally ambiguous as you'd like him to be. I'm not all that surprised you gravitated towards him as a character, though.

What do you mean?

suicideBomberKid.jpg

Don't fight guys or Adama is going to have another
EMOTIONAL
BREAKDOWN

complete with more white paint bukkake action :drool:

BSG on the cover of TV Guide this week.

battlestar_galactica_tvguide_collectors_edition.jpg

There were some comments from Ron Moore, and he mentioned how he's read through several forums, and that not one person has correctly stated how the show will end.

There were some comments from Ron Moore, and he mentioned how he's read through several forums, and that not one person has correctly stated how the show will end.

I'm really curious to see how it will all turn out!

I'm really curious to see how it will all turn out!

I think a lot of fans, will not be happy

it will not close out as satisfyingly as Six Feet Under
or even, The Wire.

I don't think it will get the WTF? reaction like the Soprano's finale.

I did a quick skim of an article in the L A Times today, it implied we may not get a definitive answer about StarbucK.

:wave:

i have no consistent access to Cable TV, but i finally managed to see most of S. 4.0 and the second Eps of 4.5 .

So i finally watched the 4.5 Recaps on the official BSG page... OOO cool stuff. Bit by bit I'll watch the full 4.5 eps on site.

Or if that dosen't work out, a friend will eventually when they get to the library will convert them to VHS for me. My portable DVD player is not well & must get it eventually to repairs -if not too much $$ to spend. :(

Everything I've read seems to say that most fans will be satisfied.

We'll see if that really happens or not.

I hope the two-hour last episode is satisfying, because I'm forced to admit that most of the 4.5 season has not. It's been quite slow-moving, little to nothing has been revealed, and we've spent a lot of time rehashing much of the same that happened beforehand. The coup episodes were interesting, but unnecessary; watching Baltar pontificate ad infinitum since New Caprica seems like a waste of his character's potential; and we didn't need to spend so many episodes watching Adama have tantrums. And just when we get an interesting cliff-hanger at the previous episode's conclusion, we're rewarded in the next with more of the same lack of resolution.

Part 1 of this last episode seemed to suffer from many of the same problems. There was lots of unnecessary buildup that was just a continuation of what was rehashed in previous episodes, and we had yet even more flashbacks that seemed to reveal nothing of importance, albeit were still interesting (particularly Roslin's moment).

Call me a bit cynical, I guess, but I find it hard to believe that, with all the mythology and loose ends in BSG, they will all be favourably resolved. I find myself thinking that they will either be resolved hastily or not at all, both scenarios which will be disappointing. Nonetheless, I'm willing to watch the last two-hour episode with more of an open mind, and I will be happy to admit it after next week if my "cynicism" was misplaced.

Regardless, BSG has been a watershed moment in the evolution of film and TV sci-fi, and I will be interested to see its larger impact over future Hollywood projects.

I have to agree that the last few episodes have prodded along without any new information revealed, and that while I hope that the finale takes care of that, I do worry that they will throw everything together a bit haphazardly at the end.

The coup diversion was fantastic though, and I thought it was done well, playing on how people were feeling at the time, after they had finally reached Earth, only to discover it was in ruins. I loved how it set everyone off in different directions; some great character studies there.

the article in L A Times said they do a good job with this 2 hour finale

which really is possible, when you consider that the best movie you ever saw, is probably about 2 hours long.

so lets hope the writing is top -notch one last time. :up:

:sad:

Au revior BSG. Best frakkin show of all time. I thought the finale was excellent. I think all the answers you could look for are in our mythology / history. Loved it. I miss it already.

I'm psyched for the Cylon version coming this fall. NICE!

:sad:

Au revior BSG. Best frakkin show of all time. I thought the finale was excellent. I think all the answers you could look for are in our mythology / history. Loved it. I miss it already.

I'm psyched for the Cylon version coming this fall. NICE!

Yes. I miss it too. I still wish some aspects of the mythology had been elaborated on more, particularly with the history of "Cylon Earth" and the Final Five's past history with each other, plus more related to "God" and related mythology, but what they ultimately did in the last two hour episode was satisfying and feels complete, leaving us wanting more.

I guess a show creator can ask for nothing more than that.

Back
Top Bottom