Battlestar Galactica Seasons 4 & 4.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was I the only one disappointed in the Final Cylon? Firstly I couldn't stand that character, and secondly, it just seemed kind of lame...

Thanks to Melon, I sort of had it in my head that it was going to be her, so I was already used to the idea. I think that it's kind of cool to have the last cylon be a character I dislike.

Thanks to Melon, I sort of had it in my head that it was going to be her, so I was already used to the idea. I think that it's kind of cool to have the last cylon be a character I dislike.

I think it will be even more interesting after we find out what happened to her.

Do any of the other cylons know of her existence? Was she reborn again after dying in Season 3? Is she more unique than the other final five in some fashion?

I think the possibilities are what makes it even more exciting.

The Chief is awesome, Uberbeaver. He was one of the first people I really liked when I started watching the show; I loved him when he told Sharon off in "Litmus Test": "You want one of my guys to take the fall for you. NO!"

I can't believe this amazing Canadian actor was stuck in obscurity for years, acting in "Smallville" episodes ("Lost"'s Evangeline Lilly had nothing more than a makeout girl role until she thankfully found people who appreciated her acting ability on "Lost") until BSG found him. So many Canadian actors have really been blessed by this show. I had no idea they were so good because Canadian shows kinda suck in the writing department.

Anyway, Maureen Ryan is doing interviews with the writers of each episode or head writer Ron Moore every week.

Here's the one for "A Disquiet Follows My Soul", whose Tom Zarek/Gaeta plot was brilliantly politically insightful; think of how America kyboshes Hamas' election just because it disapproves of its nature. Or, in a more universal historical perspective, the temptation for leaders to behave like fascists for their sense of the greater good or the tension between the military and civilian authority.

The Roslin/Adama stuff felt very interesting, too. It's nice to finally see a script from Ron Moore in over 2 years -- since the brilliant "Occupation"/"Precipice" that was robbed of an Emmy for Outstanding Writing.

My only complaint is that it would have been even better if Michael Rymer directed it. Thank goodness the finale 3 hours of the series are written by Moore and directed by Rymer.

Personally I try to steer clear of reading these too much because they contain hints or SPOILERS of what's to come to keep the fans interested. I'd rather not even be aware of which dynamics or character arcs are coming up and just be surprised by it all as I always used to be.

"A Disquiet Follows My Soul"
'Battlestar Galactica's' Ron Moore discusses 'A Disquiet Follows My Soul' | The Watcher

Here's the one for the season premiere, which I thought was perhaps better directed and better-looking, but not nearly as subtle and well-written:
'Battlestar Galactica's' Ron Moore addresses the shocking developments of 'Sometimes a Great Notion' | The Watcher

I would think so, provided that's the penalty for it. Gaeta is dead to me.

Baltar's character kills me. His trying to reason out why he had to leave was excellent. I can't quite grasp why I like him so much as he's such a piece of shit. I kinda think that's everyone's take on him though. It takes amazing writing and acting to pull that off.

I heard this season was going to be dark, but holy cow, I wasn't expecting this dark.

Hoooooly fracking shit. :crazy:

Even though I saw the bits on the preview about the mutiny, I seriously wasn't expecting it to be that brutally intense.

On a related note, I've always liked Tigh as a character, but never had quite pinned down what I thought of Tigh, the man. He's got some pretty significant character flaws, but these last few episodes have seriously bumped up my respect for him.

Agreed, Diemen. You know, I thought when he found out he was a Cylon he'd fall even farther into self-loathing, but what's strange is that he's really stepped it up this season, found some actual purpose. He certainly has one of the most interesting character arcs of anyone on the show.

And Starbuck taking out those mutineers was HARDCORE. Then when she was fighting Adama to ice that prisoner...man. Shit was hot.

Agreed, Diemen. You know, I thought when he found out he was a Cylon he'd fall even farther into self-loathing, but what's strange is that he's really stepped it up this season, found some actual purpose.

Absolutely. I expected much the same thing, but really, if anything he's been carrying Adama through the post-Earth mess.

And Starbuck taking out those mutineers was HARDCORE.

I think my jaw literally dropped when that first marine got shot and the camera cut to Starbuck.

Haven't seen any of this show, but am really keen to give it a chance. Is it similar in style though to, say, Joss Whedon's stuff? If so, I might not be so keen..

Not at all. It's very dark. It's more like a political / military type show. Not much humor in it really, aside from the occasional one liner.

It's too busy dealing deeply with political insight for a joke.

Not at all. It's very dark. It's more like a political / military type show. Not much humor in it really, aside from the occasional one liner.

Cool, thanks, I don't mind the humour but I was just wary of it being a kind of soapie in space. Not meaning to single out Whedon either, I think he's talented within his niche market..

Deep political insights, eh? That could ruin it for me... :p

I just watched the most recent episode. Wow, that was fucking great/intense.

Beav, I feel the same way as you regarding Baltar. He's the most well acted character on the show, in my opinion.

And, yes, Tigh is hardcore this season.

Great, great stuff.

I have really mixed emotions about Baltar. I agree that the acting is impeccable, I'm just not sure what the writers' intentions are with him. It seem that after he found his new home proselytizing in the cargo hold, the writers couldn't decide whether he's comic relief or a serious foil to Adama/Roslin. I liked his interaction in this past episode, but I hope he gets more plot time in the coming episodes to expand on the themes started with the scenes he shared with Roslin.

I have a feeling that the lion's share of the remaining episodes are going to be pretty epic in scope. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Agreed again, Diemen. I think Callis is doing A+ work with C+ material. He's barely keeping the guy afloat.

There better be a big payoff to his arc by the end of this thing.

Back
Top Bottom